Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: need help (netherlands) spectra-physics 168-35 whitelight

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You don't center it, you walk the beam across the resonator for best power in both axis and live with where it lands. Sounds like you need a walk and a optics cleaning.

"Walking" the resonator for peak power.

Once you have it lasing, start with the verticals, detune the output end for a 20% decrease in power. Move the rear mirror in the same direction, see if power increases. If it does, keep slowly detuning the front and follow up by moving the rear until you see a decrease again. If power decreased when you first moved the rear, or if lasing ceases, go back the other way and look for a new peak. You then do the horizontal in the same way, then return to the vertical adjustments, going back and forth and back and forth in smaller steps each time. Your trying to find the path of max gain through the tube, and often due to slight mechanical distortions during manufacturing, it is not exactly on center.

BTW the front panel power meter is most likely not calibrated for "white" light but for the 514 or 647 line.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-29-2010 at 08:29.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    You don't center it, you walk the beam across the resonator for best power in both axis and live with where it lands. Sounds like you need a walk and a optics cleaning.

Steve
    Steve...you know that SP calls that a "clean & align" and you remember what they charged?...and laserwinkle it is simple...once you learn it, it is no more than a 5 minute job. I have been flown clear across the US to do this. Process is hard to explain, and easy to "show"...I explained how to do it with a 165 somewhere on this the forum...it is called "peaking on the aperture" .
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

"Walking" the resonator for peak power.

Once you have it lasing, start with the verticals, detune the output end for a 20% decrease in power. Move the rear mirror in the same direction, see if power increases. If it does, keep slowly detuning the front and follow up by moving the rear until you see a decrease again. If power decreased when you first moved the rear, or if lasing ceases, go back the other way and look for a new peak. You then do the horizontal in the same way, then return to the vertical adjustments, going back and forth and back and forth in smaller steps each time. Your trying to find the path of max gain through the tube, and often due to slight mechanical distortions during manufacturing, it is not exactly on center.

BTW the front panel power meter is most likely not calibrated for "white" light but for the 514 or 647 line.

Steve
    you explained how to walk the beam...but if the tube is out of alignment...you wont get optimum. I explained it on one of the gooeygus threads. On a 168 you walk the beam towards the center of both mirrors and you chase it with the tube. On a 164 & 165 you walk mirrors to the aperture then chase with the tube.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    Steve...you know that SP calls that a "clean & align" and you remember what they charged?...and laserwinkle it is simple...once you learn it, it is no more than a 5 minute job. I have been flown clear across the US to do this. Process is hard to explain, and easy to "show"...I explained how to do it with a 165 somewhere on this the forum...it is called "peaking on the aperture" .
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought about him doing some bore alignment, before I replied. However, I don't think he's ready to loosen the screws and tighten them against the teflon/glass. Lets see where he gets with a walk and clean. I'd like to see some skill in cleaning and confidence in walking before moving to the next step.

Clean in this case, means spectroscopy , UHP or electronics grade acetone and methanol, not the drug store or hard ware store stuff, lens tissue, one metal hemostat, and wooden core cotton tipped optics swabs with NO glue. If you can get only one, get the methanol. I will defer to you, Pat for the chasing of the hole, moving the magnet etc.

And if John/Jim what sis name from the Dayton office would have never taught me all that on 171s, I'd have needed another year to figure it out. Its nice when your company lets you practice for a day on a 171 before a multiple tube change with your instructor costing 700$ a Day in 1988 Dollars. Ie SP Field Tech. I mainly stick to Coherent/Lexel. Laser run time was 17$ a hour back then, my salary was the cheapest thing in the stadium.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-29-2010 at 13:42.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought about him doing some bore alignment, before I replied. However, I don't think he's ready to loosen the screws and tighten them against the teflon/glass. Lets see where he gets with a walk and clean. I'd like to see some skill in cleaning and confidence in walking before moving to the next step.

Clean in this case, means spectroscopy , UHP or electronics grade acetone and methanol, not the drug store or hard ware store stuff, lens tissue, one metal hemostat, and wooden core cotton tipped optics swabs with NO glue. If you can get only one, get the methanol. I will defer to you, Pat for the chasing of the hole, moving the magnet etc.

And if John/Jim what sis name from the Dayton office would have never taught me all that on 171s, I'd have needed another year to figure it out. Its nice when your company lets you practice for a day on a 171 before a multiple tube change with your instructor costing 700$ a Day in 1988 Dollars. Ie SP Field Tech. I mainly stick to Coherent/Lexel. Laser run time was 17$ a hour back then, my salary was the cheapest thing in the stadium.

Steve
    my rate for universities was $650.00per day plus all related expenses three day minimum for installing sync pump systems and ring dye lasers and PT installs and clean aligns.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay