Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound Card DAC Tutorial

Question

Can I use an I-show dongle with spaghetti ?

I hear you . ta

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    Subwoofer | Intensity (not used with spaghetti) | 6
    if your like me and using the sound card dac to play back shows captured from ADAT 6 is usually SMPTE data... not that many people are playing back old ADAT recordings, but you know, just throwing it out there lol

if anyone DOES have old ADAT recordings... best way to transfer them is anything with a light pipe input... I use the setup at the planetarium, old adat deck hooked via light pipe to an ADAT HD24 hard disk based recorder, record the atat onto the HD24, remove hard drive, put into pc and use software to rip the WAV files off of the ADAT hard drive...

then I recombine them into 8 Channel FLAC files (lossless compression) using Audacity, and then I can literally just "play back" the ADAT out the sound card dac... its very cool being able to watch all the old ADAT shows (that can be up to an hour long or so) without having to wait for long load times between songs... (a-la LC-ADAT)

Default Help with LFI Player & amp

Hi,
    I'm very new at this but I followed this nice tutorial. I had to make my own corr amp as the recommended board were sold out. I used some lm324 quad amp and followed the schematic at
    http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy/grap...laser_h_95.jpg

I calibrated as said, 0-5v and such. I have a 20kps galvos off a ebay, some china thing and am able to make circles and such using a 600hz sine etc...

When I use the LFI player, it looks really bad. I read the manual and tried everything. Nothing is recognizable. Any idea what I am missing?

I did have to update the .ini file as the channel 2 on my sound card (right) went bad so I use channel 5 to drive y. so I have

x=1
    y=5
    r=3

The rest I do not need as this is a single color setup...

Can anyone help? Thanks very Much Luke

Default I tried that

I did that too. I wonder if the LFI player likes me using channel 5 to drive my X coordinate?

Default Tried that too.

here is a copy on my ini file...

[Sound Card Selection]
    UseCardNumber=2

LowLatencyBuffering=no
    ;not all programs work smoothly with minimal buffering, try yes if you have a hyperthreading
    ; or dual core computer and like to try to speed up timing.
    ; yes works with zoof games, LDS, HE-Laserscan
    ; no works best with LazyMame, LFI player

SampleRate=48000
    ;choose a standard samplerate that your card can handle 44100, 48000, 96000 etc.

RepeatFrameWhenOut=no
    ;'yes' or 'no'
    ;Repeats the last frame displayed if the program doesn't feed another frame in time
    ; if 'no', then the DAC output goes to 0 until a new frame is fed.

[Channel Invert]
    ;enter 'yes' to invert the channel output, 'no' otherwise.
    X=no
    Y=no
    R=yes
    G=yes
    B=yes
    I=yes

[Channel Selection]
    ;Enter the desired output chanel number (1-8 only) of the signals:
    X=5
    Y=2
    R=3
    G=4
    B=1
    I=6
    AL=7
    AR=8

I also am using a npn transitor to module some laser diode. It does not apper to work great but at least I should be able to see some pattern...

If you ever clicked ANY of the effects in the effect tab of the cmedia driver, you are going to have to reset those to defaults for it to work. This might mean re-installing the driver. Which cmedia driver version are you using? You might need to use the one linked in the tutorial.

I'm clearly a noob here and hopefully given the date people are still reading this forum, but I wanted to know how to communicate directly with the soundcard. I'm looking to send non-sound outputs without sending .wav files. Essentially can I get the soundcard to sit on one output voltage then switch to another when I want it to? Is there some software to allow this?

You send to the sound card the same as you would send anything to the sound card. If you are on Windows you have many choices from Win32 APIs to DirectX to XNA, etc. It's pretty simple to make this work if you have an understanding of those APIs.

No matter what you will be communicating with some kind of Windows abstract sound device and that will communicate with the specific driver for the actual hardware you have. As far as I know they all work about the same. There will be some address you send a big chunk of data to. If you want it to hold a state, you need an execution thread to keep filling up the buffer and dumping it to the device address over and over. You can't just set it and forget it, unless you want to set it to silence or digital zero.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.