Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EL-100G - Laserworld budget laser

Default EL-100G - Laserworld budget laser

Before I start this review, it should be known i'm new to this forum and only discovered it recently after developing my interest into lasers and plans to buy a new one, learning from my mistakes. My experience and knowledge of the inner workings of a laser is somewhat.... lacking, but hopefully something I will improve on. Either way.. Onwards!!

I've had this laser, my first and so far only laser for about 5 months without even bothering to check the reputation of the company or the laser itself having been content with the false reputation i've been lead to believe. (it should be noted that this was purchased from ebay and not directly off Laserworld) Only after discovering this forum and community have I learnt the truth behind Laserworld and decide to take it upon myself to take apart the case for the first time and find out what i've actually ended up buying.

The El-100g is no longer listed on Laserworld's products however a user manual still exists on their site which clearly indicates these specifications:
    Power supply: AC 220V-240V, 50/60 Hz
    Power consumption: 40 W
    Ambient temperature: -10°C – +35°C
    Working mode: automatic, music active, DMX512
    DMX 512: 7 channels
    laser power: green: ca. 100mW / 532nm
    Laser class: 3b
    Weight: 3 kg
    Dimensions: 25 x 28 x 10 cm

The Laser:
    My first thought as I peered at the recently opened case was... as you've probably guessed... "oh no... no no no"
    The laser itself is very, very small for an advertised 100mW. Even with my complete lack of knowledge i knew something was not right. After checking all sides on the laser there are no indicating labels, only after I followed the cable did I notice a little tag with some scribbled notes that contained the model name.
    After deciphering the little tag annoyingly wrapped around the cord I found out that it is a... LSM-G20B laser (the tag mistakenly has it as G20B when the actual model is just G20)
    And after some research, also known as google, I discovered these specifications:
    Model:LSM-G20(220V)
    Wavelength(nm): 532
    Output Power(mW): 20mw.. Wait, 20??!?!
    Power Stability:5%
    The Output Beamdiameter(mm):2.0

My first reaction to seeing the 20mW was not all that pleasant, knowing i've fallen victim to Laserworld's trap of false everything, but I suppose I can be thankful that it produces a beam that can be seen clearly enough in minimal fog. (I have no way to test the levels officially, it could be higher or lower than 20mW those are just the specifications)

The Construction / Everything Else:
    The construction of the laser is, by my standards, not too bad. The aluminium case is quite standard, just your average case, however ALL the components appear to be firmly in place, the wiring is a bit messy but can be followed easily enough mostly due to the units small size, there is one wire glued to the underside of the circuit board which seems completely out of place but every component works so I can't complain about that to much.

I'm afraid I really do not know anything specific about the motors, I can say that they're generally terrible, only capable of the most basic patterns with no smooth edges what so ever. (This would be from it being a budget laser hopefully?) This can be noticed easily on any pattern, both automatic and DMX initiated ones.

DMX works perfectly fine using my controller, all patterns can be cycled through and adjusting size, speed and location of the laser and pattern is a breeze, all DIP switches are functional and the built in mic works fine.

That pretty much sums up this laser to the best of my abilities.. They lied, of course, but for what it is and the price I purchased it I can't really complain that much. Although I have to admit, this being my first step into lasers, it's not necessarily a good one. Not having any equipment to test the components along with a lackluster knowledge of show lasers has me at a disadvantage, one which I hope to remedy by discovering this community!

Thanks for taking the time to read and feel free to ask any questions, i'll possibly be able to upload photos at a later date if requested.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Another victim of LoserWorld.
    My condolences ..............

Aye, it's a bit of a shame.
    As some one mentioned earlier there isn't really much newcomers can do, especially since testing equipment can be difficult to come by.. The perfect victim.
    Just have to learn from my mistakes and move on.

You never know you may still get more than 20mw as it may be over driven. Only problem then is not power but longevity.

My advice is provided you like it as it is, enjoy it and treat it as disposable. You now know there are other options next time around.

Welcome to PL Sorry to hear of your Laserworld experiences

Where in the beautiful country of ours are you?

I think with the laserworld stuff a good amount of the sub-dealer get them and cheapen them up with lower power lasers. would love to hear more who people get the laserworld projectors from if its direct or 3rd party reseller.

We got them direct... and our experiences were similar which is, in part, why we would not sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    My advice is provided you like it as it is, enjoy it and treat it as disposable. You now know there are other options next time around.
    Save the case... if you get more serious into lasers, you can upgrade this unit on your own, with your own components. Hardware is sometimes more expensive than components if you don't have a shop of your own. Making everything legal... that is another story
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

From Launceston, Tasmania. And thanks for the replies.
    I was considering whether or not an original laser had been removed and replaced with a cheaper one, but there are no signs of tampering and the one that's there is placed in rather neatly.
    I like the idea of treating this as an easy disposable and to keep the case if I end up learning about and purchasing components.

oh and did you know those hi-speed motors would probably be 2-5k steppers =) no need to blame yourself, i have 2 of those, there still might be some use of the cases