Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LaserMan532 / microlaserlabs.com Custom Dual Red!

I really like the video chipset (or north bridge or south bridge) heatsink idea!

If one needed such a big TEC with high heat diodes like big blurays, they could put some passive heatsinks or other nice things coming from the PC world

Nice!
    But is that small heatsink on that big TEC really going to work? Wouldn't it be better to just use the baseplate/optical breadboard as the heatsink for the hot side of the TEC? Maybe if you attached a fan to the heatsink. What it your target temperature for the unit?

Nice work. Am Is the hole in the bottom a mounting hole or the output aperture?

Very neat indeed, top job

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Not finished yet though. Still needs the diode modules isolated and the TEC controller installed. I'm hoping to get a stable 500mW out of it using the TEC cooling.
    I see you use a small metal plate under the MM1.
    Couldn't you use 2 small plates of isolating material under the diode holders to isolate them from another ?
    Wouldn't have too much impact on your beautiful design, and you keep the possibility to rotate the diodes for optimal performance.
    Wow. I like this idea. It's cool ! Well done guys !

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    Couldn't you use 2 small plates of isolating material under the diode holders to isolate them from another ?
    Wouldn't have too much impact on your beautiful design, and you keep the possibility to rotate the diodes for optimal performance.

I dont want to speak for 300evil but i will impart, there were very physical constraints for the space he had available as well as the beam height required for minimum installation requirements. This base is a temporary base to allow construction. Final base design will evolve when final constraints have been determined. The diodes are isolated by kapton tape soon to be SIL-PADS in the u shaped parts of the clamp. I hope 300 dosnt mind I chimed in here.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post
    I really like the video chipset (or north bridge or south bridge) heatsink idea!

If one needed such a big TEC with high heat diodes like big blurays, they could put some passive heatsinks or other nice things coming from the PC world
    Thanks! Yes, it is overkill but I had the TEC and it fits.

Quote Originally Posted by dar303 View Post
    Nice!
    But is that small heatsink on that big TEC really going to work? Wouldn't it be better to just use the baseplate/optical breadboard as the heatsink for the hot side of the TEC? Maybe if you attached a fan to the heatsink. What it your target temperature for the unit?
    Well, the way I figure it is the larger TEC will do less work. I ran the TEC on there with a resistor for ballast. (just a test) The diode base got nice and cold with the little heatsink only at 120F max. I'd say that is safe being passively cooled but more experimenting and a real TEC controller will be needed before I know for sure. I'm not sure of my target temp yet. I just want the kit to make stable output power.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    Nice work. Am Is the hole in the bottom a mounting hole or the output aperture?
    Yes, it's a mounting hole. The output is the hole in the MM1.

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    Very neat indeed, top job
    Thanks!

I thought of that but the diodes are adjusted there and didn't want to use nylon screws on anything too complicated. The Kapton I plan on using for isolating the Aixiz modules is thin and slippery so rotating shouldn't be much of an issue. I also like the localized isolation because it prevents me from touching a tool in the wrong spot and grounding the diodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    I dont want to speak for 300evil but i will impart, there were very physical constraints for the space he had available as well as the beam height required for minimum installation requirements. This base is a temporary base to allow construction. Final base design will evolve when final constraints have been determined. The diodes are isolated by kapton tape soon to be SIL-PADS in the u shaped parts of the clamp. I hope 300 dosnt mind I chimed in here.
    Well said and feel free to chime in anytime!

OK, clear for me now. The Kapton tape is some sort of teflon tape ? heat conductive, electrically isolating ?

OK, clear for me now. The Kapton tape is some sort of teflon tape ? heat conductive, electrically isolating ?
    http://www.kaptontape.com/1_Mil_Kapton_tape.php

Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.