Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sensitive information section

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Well I have a secret section in my own forum and one of the forums that I moderate has such a section. It doesn't cause any upset though as they are invisible to anybody that hasn't been "enrolled" (think Freemasons initiations, funny handshakes etc).

I'm guessing that there already is one
    Nope, there is a mindblowing software alternative, I but promised Admin.....

I am NOT A MEMBER OF ANY SECRET GROUP RELATED TO PL, EAGLE SCOUT'S WORD OF HONOR. And those who are Eagles (roughly .2% of Scouting makes it) know I would NOT abuse that one.

PS< I have a big personal beef with some of the Freemasons back home, so private clubs are OUT.

I guess we have to go to "Exigencies of the Service", and Pat has much stricter standards then I do.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    POT, KETTLE, BLACK.
    Inside joke, I know what Buffo's converting this week, but its not a Lscope...
    Hehe... I had a feeling you would call me on that.

Though in fairness when I (eventually) fill out the laser product report, I'm going to list that laser as a Coherent I-60 (or I-90, if I ever get around to that part), and not as a "Medical 930". (Or 910 for the big one.) You'll also note that all the conversion info has been kept private.

And yes, even the I-90 is a lot safer than a Laserscope. Pulsed lasers scare me.

Adam

Fair comments.

I guess *if* a scope ever finds it's way in to my hands I'll just have to ask privately and nicely and follow all information to the letter (if offered).

I'll just have to learn to avoid all threads that look like they are headed towards a sensitive topic to avoid that AAAAAAAHHHHG effect.

I know I know; how do you keep an idiot in suspense?

You'll tell me tomorrow
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Default Wow, I just found this thread.

1- I completely reject "GURU Status" I am just a guy who has been privileged enough to have been there, done that, got the t-shirt and am now selling it in a garage sale. (I am a legend in my own mind only) Today's technology, everyone of you surpass me greatly.

2- I would never be a member of a club that would have someone like me as a member. (some one else said it but I carry it as my motto) I loathe clubs, fraternities, secret societies, elite organizations, secret handshakes and anything that would fit vaguely into any of those categories. I was not aware of a "members only" area for PL...i'm kind of dumb that way.

3- My lack of tact may be slightly apparent, my post are sometimes blunt, my sarcasm hardly noticeable, my quest for the truth is at my core. Motto 2- you can candy coat dog shit...but it will still taste like dog shit. I have been called an arrogant a$$hole at times and thats others opinions, with me you get warts and all. I love subtle humor.

4- I strive for perfection, quality, integrity and excellence all of which I never achieve. I am amused and amazed when others don't try. This is very difficult on my children.

5- I impart information when I can, and avoid it when I feel it necessary. I have mastered very few technological hurdles in my career, but the ones I have, I cherish.

6- Style is not the way you pick your nose...it's where you put the booger.

7- I apologize for being me if I have offended anyone. Truly...I do...

"The Information contained in this Post is for educational purposes only and is Copyright 2009 By Pat Bishoff. No warranty for its fitness is expressed or implied, use at your own risk. This information cannot be reproduced or translated outside of the Photon Lexicon web environment without the express non electronic written permission of Mr Bishoff, This information is NOT subject to educational use copyright and All Rights Reserved"
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

[QUOTE=Laserman532;125018]1- I completely reject "GURU Status" I am just a guy who has been privileged enough to have been there, done that, got the t-shirt and am now selling it in a garage sale. (I am a legend in my own mind only) Today's technology, everyone of you surpass me greatly.

And as I told a Gentleman who called me a "god" on the phone the other night, I'm human, and I believe in God with a big G, the origin of the term, so I cannot be a god when I believe in God and try to be humble before him. I have had problems with the humble thing lately, gotta work on that.

Now, since I do not like getting stoned, note I did not say Jeh*&a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk

So like Pat said, lets knock it off with the laser god crap ok? I'm a lousy little worm in the grand universe scheme of things.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    You'll also note that all the conversion info has been kept private.
    why? how is that Ar/Kr significantly more dangerous than a 5w DPSS?

I am asking seriously because the secret squirrel stuff here has been getting old

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post

I am asking seriously because the secret squirrel stuff here has been getting old

At 5 watts they are about equal in power. The i60 is actually 3 watts. The secret part is the modification to the medical PSU, at the request of my medical friend who got me the data. When medical engineers volunteer useful stuff like that we generally have to protect them as often each engineer has date/time stamped schematics etc. The Other reason is the proliferation of people who try to fix medical systems but are not biomedical qualified to install and certify them for work on patients. For example, courtesy of a friend , I have almost everything medical ion ever made in schematics, but I'm asked not to post them on the FTP for the simple reason that if someone attempts a cheesy repair and it goes wrong, a patient gets hurt.

SO, you can see why KTP is a issue, can you see why posting a current DPSS eye surgery laser is a issue? I mean my data and schematics collection fills a wall. I'd love to have it scanned in (I cant afford to scan about 2000 8x11s) and post it, but there are safety rules, copyright/IP rules, and cost issues.

Ethics can suck some times.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-24-2009 at 15:22.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    all the conversion info has been kept private
    The light output isn't more dangerous. (In fact, it's less dangerous, since it's only 3 watts, and there's no chance of any coherent IR being present with the I-60.)

However, one could argue that a water-cooled tube (and power supply) with 215 volts DC at 35 amps does present a bit of an electrical hazard. Still, that's not why the conversion info was kept private.

The real reason is partially what Steve mentioned, but there is more to it than just protecting the med tech who supplied the info. Converting medical gear over to show-ready condition is a long process that absolutely *must* be done correctly. (Because of this, it's actually a questionable practice as far as the CDRH is concerned.)

I'm confident that I'll get it right (with considerable help from Steve and Bruce, among others). But there's no way I can condense over 6 hours of phone calls and dozens of PM's into a single post that explains the entire process.

Even if I could - who would benefit? Does anyone here own a Coherent 930 medical argon unit? (Well, besides Matt, Mo, and myself?) So why clutter the forums with a bunch of detailed information that won't apply outside of this one unit? Especially if there's a good chance that I might miss something?

Oh, I'll post an overview once I'm finished. (Yes, complete with pictures!) I'll even be willing to discuss the general process. But getting down to "the wire from pin 5 connects to terminal strip B" is not going to happen.
    If you ever lay your hands on a 930, I'll be happy to spend lots of time on the phone with you, explaining what I've done so far (and what I still need to do) to make it work. That goes for anyone on PL, assuming that 1) they know how to listen, and 2) they are willing to be safe. I've actually typed up most of my notes for reference, and I'd be willing to share those as well, to people who are wise enough to double-check everything on their own in case I've made a mistake.

But I completely respect Pat's reluctance to share more information about converting a laserscope to show use. Once you post detailed information, people with otherwise grossly insufficient knowledge will read it and think that a post or two is all they need to guide them through the process. But since they don't have any real experience, they don't have a clue what they're getting into. And that's when accidents happen. Pat doesn't want that on his shoulders. (Not to mention the damage to the industry as a whole when such an accident occurs.)

Here's another example: Remember the schematic for my interlock circuit that I posted back in February? Several people have contacted me about it, asking how to modify it in one way or another to suit their projector, and I've been only too happy to assist them. But I've also gotten PM's from people that can't read a schematic and don't know the difference between a transistor and a relay. Yet they want to use my design to make their projector CDRH-ready so they can go do shows...

This puts me in a difficult position. On the one hand, I want to help them make their projector safer, but on the other hand, I didn't join PL to be a basic electronics teacher for every new member who is too lazy to do some studying on his own before asking questions. Hand-holding only goes so far...

And then there's the legal aspect. While it's certainly a long shot, I don't want someone claiming that I designed their projector interlock, which then failed, causing an injury. It might be that they missed a crucial detail. Or maybe I didn't explain something to their satisfaction. But if they can't read a schematic, what am I supposed to do? Now I've got to defend myself?

This is a small example of the much larger dilemma that Pat and Steve are facing re: laserscopes.

Adam

PS: I should point out that the couple of folks I'm currently dealing with re: my interlock schematic are good people, and I do not mean to imply that any of them are being referenced in my rant above. It was earlier in the year that I had some people that I had to turn away because they lacked sufficient knowledge to assemble the circuit correctly.

215 volts DC at 35 amps does present a bit of an electrical hazard.
    hehe, you would be surprised at the things I have played with

but ya between your and Steves explanation I understand where you guys are coming from now

I wonder if they still have any of those lasers you got left... I keep thinking about them... but then I think of the power bill... and water... and... well... etc... lol

Smile

If you really want one, get in touch with Daedal. He can put you in touch with the guy you need to talk to.

They are *heavy* as hell. Like 450 pounds heavy. But after you strip them down, what's left isn't too bad. You still need to build a new case though, among other things.

With any luck, I'll have one working by early spring...

Adam