Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sensitive information section

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    If you really want one, get in touch with Daedal. He can put you in touch with the guy you need to talk to.

They are *heavy* as hell. Like 450 pounds heavy. But after you strip them down, what's left isn't too bad. You still need to build a new case though, among other things.

With any luck, I'll have one working by early spring...

Adam
    problem is if its at astro then I will probably also buy at least $100 in connectors/stainless hardware/transformers/pots etc

but seriously thats a pretty big time/water/electricity/space commitment... I gotta think about that one

Cool

Astro-Too is out of them. We bought everything they had. But Space Coast Lasers said they have more. Not sure if they've got more of the 930's or not, but for sure they have other stuff available.

Yeah, electrical power is a bitch. Most of the I-60 units are 3 phase 208, but I'm hoping to mod my PSU to run single phase. Even so it will probably still draw around 35 amps from the wall. Then there's the 2 GPM of water you need. Might be able to put together a closed-loop recirculator though - been mulling it over trying to decide if it's worth the effort or not.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    but seriously thats a pretty big time/water/electricity/space commitment... I gotta think about that one
    Oh... but the reward is so worth it!

At ~2W safe CW runtime for hours, you'll probably get ~1W of usable blue...

Last time I checked that was... >10K

And don't ignore the green either

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Astro-Too is out of them. We bought everything they had. But Space Coast Lasers said they have more. Not sure if they've got more of the 930's or not, but for sure they have other stuff available.

Yeah, electrical power is a bitch. Most of the I-60 units are 3 phase 208, but I'm hoping to mod my PSU to run single phase. Even so it will probably still draw around 35 amps from the wall. Then there's the 2 GPM of water you need. Might be able to put together a closed-loop recirculator though - been mulling it over trying to decide if it's worth the effort or not.

Adam
    re circulator??? a sp running similar to those parameters needs to dissipate close to 13KW sooooooo thats a good size chiller. I can get you half way there...I have an affinity 6KW that will soon go on the blocks...now you would just have to find another one
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I have a friend that has 60 Lexel 85 SVG heads in stock 1-2 watts , most shipping higher then two. first customers get the hotter tubes He can build the PSU into the head, so it runs off 220, single

designed to do 500 mW of 488 and 500 mW of 514, tem00 for 8000 hours.
    The other lines are gravy on top. Yes, they are polarized.

Let me know if your interested.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    a sp running similar to those parameters needs to dissipate close to 13KW
    Yeah, it's actually a puzzler... Factory manual states the max heat load is just 5.6 KW for the I-60 and 8.75 KW for the I-70. Neither figure really jives with the stated max tube current of 35 amps and a tube voltage of 215V DC though (not to mention the nearly 1KW flowing through the magnet windings), so maybe the manual is wrong. I plan to do some measurements once I get it up and running...

Either way though, it's still a lot of heat, so any chiller system is going to be fairly involved. I've talked to several people who have had success running tubes as large as a Lexel-95 on semi-closed loop, fan-cooled recirculators with large water reservoirs, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of setting up a 35 gallon trash can full of water every time I want to fire the laser either...

Thus, in the short term at least, I'll be flowing water through it to the drain.

Adam

Back when I90's and the like were the staple of the UK scene, the common thing to do was to get an air conditioning condenser or two, pull the compressors and run the water through the condenser coils directly.

A two fan unit about 5 feet tall was sufficient to keep an I90 happy all night.
    The trick was to use two pumps (One circulating the water around the laser and power supply, and the second circulating water through the cooling coils), as the coil pipe diameter tends to be a bit small to take the laser flow with reasonable pressure drop.

The general feeling at least in the circles I moved in was that for a 90 using a chiller was usually overkill and actually tended to reduce system reliability, obviously the UK weather helps here.

Reservoir size is fairly unimportant as even with 50 gallons it will reach steady state in fairly short order.

Regards Dan.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

On a similar sized lexel with 50 gallons of water, on a sunny ohio day, you got 40 minutes to book specification inlet overtemp from room temp at 35 amps. Where the passbank would start fatal thermal runaway I suppose would be 80 minutes. If the thermal switch on the passbank would actually go off, I dont know. never got one that hot. I will tell you this, in a lab enviornment, once you go water to water, you never wanter go back. Stability went up a order of magnitude.

That data was calculated for a one off rooftop show and a US standard 55 gallon drum.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    On a similar sized lexel with 50 gallons of water, on a sunny ohio day, you got 40 minutes to book specification inlet overtemp from room temp at 35 amps. Where the passbank would start fatal thermal runaway I suppose would be 80 minutes. If the thermal switch on the passbank would actually go off, I dont know. never got one that hot. I will tell you this, in a lab enviornment, once you go water to water, you never wanter go back. Stability went up a order of magnitude.

That data was calculated for a one off rooftop show and a US standard 55 gallon drum.

Steve
    Lab environment - water to water heat exchanger, heat exchanger is water to cooling tower on a tank fill valve floater.

Lasershow environment- IN EVERY CIRCUMSTANCE...hook up to facility and let them pay the water bill. If the facility cant accommodate bring DPSS.

Home environment
    a- hook up to source and drain and pay the water bill. I watered my lawn with output and moved the sprinkler a lot...Greenest lawn in the neighborhood.
    b- hook up to your neighbors source and drain in the middle of the night and let them pay the water bill
    c- If you have to, 6kw chiller, 4kw 4-12" fans on dual 2.2KW heat exchangers in parallel. In a cool environments you can run for hours
    In hot environments you can run for "less than hours"

Water is cheap...equipment is heavy and expensive. It is all about ROI. IMVHO
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    b- hook up to your neighbors source and drain in the middle of the night and let them pay the water bill
    LOL15 characters