Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YAG+Cr:YAGNd:Ce:YAG+YAG(D5*105)

Yes it does offer a better absorption band and is less temperature sensitive. I think that Nd:yag is the stable at a given set of pump powers that a lot have become accustomed to using. The Nd:Yvo4 is much more efficient at converting a broader range of pump power from near 805nm up to 811nm making the same doubled frequency. Thus making the design more acceptable to errors in design....plus the mode volume allows a shorter crystal equaling less thermal issues. OK now lets find the pieces and coral them into a box to me then? Allthough Nd:Yag at a low dopant level will result a most acceptable gain at an increased pump .
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Now that I've looked into this even further, it seems that Nd:YAG doesn't have a transition at 914nm at all. It's strictly an Nd:YVO4 thing, which I had long suspected but never put any effort into researching until now.

While I searched through many sites, this site had the most info in the least amount of space so I'll just post this one link:

http://mt-optics.net/productshow.asp...ssname=Crystal

Both this site, CASIX, and others list Nd:YAG as lasing only at 1064nm, which I know to be a bit inaccurate since 946nm coated YAG is doubled to creat 473nm light. While there are LOTS of references to Nd:YVO4 lasing at 914, I could not find a single reference to a transition at 914nm in Nd:YAG anywhere.

This is true....but through diffusion bonding of Yag/ Nd;yag /Yag at a low dopant level of .08%, lasing at 912 and 914nm lines have been achieved using this method. The crystal was cut 0=168.9 Z axis. It has been done some years ago. The introduction of several lasing hosts are presently used in many different applications. An exact frequency would be a considering factor of the host medium used. The chart from a supplier can coat for Nd;GdVO4 as well as ND;Yvo4
    Nd:YAG(Nd:Y3Al5O12)結晶

Nd:Y3Al5O12は固体レーザの材料としては世界中で最も使用 実績があります。

ロシア製のNd:YAG結晶を推奨いたします。 欧州の主要な固体レーザメーカ

にNd:YAG結晶を供給しており、信頼できます。

SFG(BIBO) 1340nm + 670nm⇒446.7nm Nd:GdVO4 Red & Blue レーザー

1340.0(o) + 670.0(e) = 446.7(e)   XY面 Type-II

You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

To the best of my knowledge (and a look through the university library), Nd:YAG does not lase at 914nm.

Nd:YAG + BIBO gives 473nm
    Nd:YVO4 + LBO = 457nm
    Nd:GdVO4 +LBO = 456nm

Nd:GdVO4 has proven to be more efficient than the Yttrium variety on the 4F3/2–4I9/2 transition. The Nd:GdVO4 lases at 912nm
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

May have been a mistake from my supplier...I will ask for tech notes. I can't find any other supportive information....but then again if someone really wants to do something....I suppose it will be possible.
    The fact remains the same............
    I want a set of rocks and an OC....I will machine and have the rest of the components..........

Question

How hard would it be to convert a 473 DPSS to 457?

Useless without the proper coatings...crystal changes and OC. Major operation.....

You'd need to replace the Nd:YAG with Nd:YVO4.. but that's far easier said than done, I think. There are some very critical angles involved, and I don't think they are the same for Yag and YVO4. Also, the OC.. too much work.

The case could probably be used for something..

Talking

I mean with the "rocks and OCs"... Assuming Jiepu here replies.

You have a housing and diode with drivers and electronics; is it better to sell the 473 and buy a 457, or buy the needed components to change the 473 to 457? Assuming you know someone who likes to play with this type of stuff.

Is it comparable to changing a laser out in a projector; to a diffent power and manufacture? You have to move some optics, possibly change your alignment path, and reset your color pallette; definatly a pain in the ass but better than buying a new projector.

Or, from another perspective, would it make it easier on someone trying to build a 457 from "scratch" to have a 473 on hand to convert to a 457?

And froma third... if you had a 473 that needed repair, depending on the specific fix, would it be worth looking at trying to convert it to a 457.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    And froma third... if you had a 473 that needed repair, depending on the specific fix, would it be worth looking at trying to convert it to a 457.

Yes that would be a good platform to start with. The walkoff angles and other perameters could be accomodated in a laser head.... possible machining or new mounts would be needed. Should be possible. It would atleast save time on getting a TEC driver setup and most of the machine work is done....except for the needed mods.