Thread: Any experience with NIDEK MC7000

Default Any experience with NIDEK MC7000

Does anyone have experience in working with, modifying, or testing a NIDEK MC7000 I have the chance to bid on one, and want to know if this thing is worth while. From what I can read and see it is very computer control based. But can these be modded to run cw or are they pulse only. I am so pro gass laser and want to add some red / yellow to my hobby and this would be both from what I read.
    My other laser is being used on the deathstar. C>----X

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ltaudi1 View Post
    Does anyone have experience in working with, modifying, or testing a NIDEK MC7000 I have the chance to bid on one, and want to know if this thing is worth while. From what I can read and see it is very computer control based. But can these be modded to run cw or are they pulse only. I am so pro gass laser and want to add some red / yellow to my hobby and this would be both from what I read.
    Most Nidek used LEXEL tubes and PSUs.

If thats what I think it is, it has a Lexel 8100 Series Pure krypton tube in it, and a slide that moves or spins to select different high reflectors to change wavelengths.

So it has a OC that supports 520, 530, 568, 575, 647 and 676 and it has a dichro that does pass yellow reflect green between the OC and the fiber. IT then has two high reflectors mounted on a precision slide, one for the red lines and one for the yellow green. This slide is drven by a stepper motor to do wavelength selection. This has to be, because some of these lines, especially the yellow and red, compete with each other for gain.

8100 was a family of tubes sold to OEMs who built the lasers into custom equipment, you WONT find them on the Lexel Web Site. They have a .81 mm bore and are longer and more powerful then a 95.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf/K974732.pdf

Since its Krypton, the tube voltage would be low enough to run up to a watt or so off a European single phase power line, if you had the right power supply.
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-04-2009 at 19:20.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...