Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Class IV...... Class V?

Default Beyond Class IV...... Class V?

Why does it stop at 500mW+???? Sure, it's almost guaranteed eye damage beyond this point but I think this numerical classification is not finished. Many 1W+ lasers can be made safe for audience scanning (professionals only!) Shouldn't there be a class V (5) designation for pulsed lasers and lasers of greater tissue destructive powers???

Not really a big deal to me it just seems their is a lot of lasers above 1/2W to say that's the pinnicle of danger.

Your thoughts below....

Class V lasers are lasers with "special" hazards such as X-ray lasers, Fempto-second lasers with the ability to generate x-rays from the beam, or any other laser that has a hazard from the use of special fuels or energy sources beyond electricity.examples are the Miracl laser and the nuclear pumped selinum lasers.

I agree. Pulsed lasers should be moved in to class V.

i.e. never to be pointed at any living thing except for the deliberate destruction of tissue.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by heruursciences View Post
    Class V lasers are lasers with "special" hazards such as X-ray lasers, Fempto-second lasers with the ability to generate x-rays from the beam, or any other laser that has a hazard from the use of special fuels or energy sources beyond electricity.examples are the Miracl laser and the nuclear pumped selinum lasers.

Not anymore,that went away 20 years ago. IV is it.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I would agree that there should be a class V specification. Pulsed lasers tend to have so much of a higher maximum power output than CW that it seems like it couldn't hurt to have a classification which calls attention to this fact. It could also include the "special hazard" lasers mentioned above.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    I would agree that there should be a class V specification. Pulsed lasers tend to have so much of a higher maximum power output than CW that it seems like it couldn't hurt to have a classification which calls attention to this fact. It could also include the "special hazard" lasers mentioned above.

WHY?, All the damage starts at at the low to middle end of 3B anyways.... I can think of systems that do corneal surgery with less then 50 mW of average power....

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

need a class for one million infinity
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    WHY?, All the damage starts at at the low to middle end of 3B anyways.... I can think of systems that do corneal surgery with less then 50 mW of average power....

Steve

That is a good point. Can't argue with it..

Class 3B is can give damage when stared directly into the beam

class 4 can give damage from scattered radiation from a surface. so what class should you have more?

maybe class 5 can give damage from scattered radiation from airborne particles (smoke) but then you really need allot of power

I like the idea of a class V for pulsed lasers.

Class V could be for ALL lasers that are NEVER suitable for use for audience scanning.

Whilst its true that anything above Class 3R needs calculations to be used safely, and thus there's some argument for saying why another class, when Class 3B and Class IV can both be eye dangerous, I do think it would be good to have a Class that represents lasers so dangerous that they should never be pointed at people or used for scanning.

That way you set apart the "never should be used" lasers from those that are potentially dangerous but can be used with the relevant level of care and safety calculations.

It might stop accidents occuring if lasers that are never suitable for audience scanning came labelled as such eg.

"CLASS V LASER - NEVER SUITABLE FOR AUDIENCE SCANNING. THIS LASER IS NEVER EYE SAFE - EVEN LIGHT REFLECTED FROM A SURFACE AND VIEWED INDIRECTLY CAN BE CONSIDERED EYE DANGEROUS. ALWAYS POINT THIS LASER AWAY FROM PEOPLE AND AWAY FROM ANY SURFACE. THIS LASER MAY ONLY BE CONSIDERED FOR USE FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES IF SHONE DIRECTLY UP INTO THE SKY AWAY FROM PEOPLE AND ALL SURFACES / BUILDINGS / AIRCRAFT WITH FAILSAFES TO PREVENT ACCIDENTAL PROJECTION INTO SUCH AREAS AND IF PERMISSION HAS 1ST BEEN OBTAINED FROM THE RELEVANT AIRCRAFT AUTHORITIES FOR YOUR COUNTRY eg. FAA, CAA eg."