Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: REVIEW - Wicked Lasers 1W 532nm Reference Series

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    Nice review Electrofreak!

A stability of <5% is really bad! My 500mW viasho got 0,5% stability, and my 100mW test labby got a deviation of only 500nW (yes nano)
    I find that very hard to believe. What were you using to measure it, a thermal or optical sensor? Is your meter reading to the nW level or is that the answer that comes out when you do the math? 500nW is amazingly small, even for very high end lasers. To put that in perspective, that is 0.000005% stability. I do not believe that, I think it was a mistake either in your math, measurements, or meter.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Hey, obviously mc carrot means 0,5milliwatts equals 500 microwatts.
    10^-3 = milli
    10^-6 = micro
    10^-9 = nano

Check your own math too, even if his 100mW labby had a stability of 500nW this would result in a stability of 0,0005% not 0,00005% !

Guys, this is basic calculus, dont drink and post at the same time

^
    ??

I don't think that is what he meant at all. McCarrot's statement was very clear. There isn't really any language barrier issue. It's a very direct statement.

I can't say what he meant, i think that I know what he meant to say.

Hate to hijack your thread any further , so did you do any further test on the claimed modulation characteristics ?

No problem about the hijack.. Unfortunately the only modulation tests I've run have been TTL only. There was a tiny bit of instability at the beginning of each pulse, which was a 500Hz TTL pulse, but nothing extraordinary or abonormal. It performs fine with TTL, and if it were analog I'm sure there would be some nonlinearity, but as a whole I would say that this system is a stereotypical higher-end Chinese laser.

I don't have the laser with me this weekend, so any further testing will have to wait until next week..

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    I find that very hard to believe. What were you using to measure it, a thermal or optical sensor? Is your meter reading to the nW level or is that the answer that comes out when you do the math? 500nW is amazingly small, even for very high end lasers. To put that in perspective, that is 0.000005% stability. I do not believe that, I think it was a mistake either in your math, measurements, or meter.
    I used a Coherent PM3 head, this head got a 50uW (microWatt) resolution.

the 500nW is what the Coherent software showed me where it showed Dev.
    Maybe I'm interpreting the software wrong.