Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Corning G-1000 module

Holokid, I think you are barking up a dead horse here Take a look at these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abbildung4,property=ZoomData__en.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	30933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002636_10_fig1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	30932

He has convinced me that it is indeed a OS part. They were just quiet about it. They apparently didn't care that people were attributing the g-1000 with the MV product. Or maybe they started with the g-1000 and the OS part was simpler (read cheaper) to integrate. We will never know.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

OK ok i see it but i see, but the 3 units have here (purchased as non working units) are the second generation MV+ version. Corning has told me unofficially they are the "same laser" (the G1000 and G2000) laser.. so im not convinced, until i rip this MV 1st gen. unit i have, apart to see what its got inside.

I don't have the specific issue of photonics spectra, but corning no longer makes the g-1000 module so a replacement part is not unlikely. Either way I am waiting for the next version with DI green.

They used to use corning: http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=39774

Microvision signed a supply deal with Corning Inc. of Rochester, N.Y., in May for its G-1000 synthetic green lasers and an agreement with Osram Opto for its blue and green lasers, to ensure an ample supply of diodes as it prepares to begin commercial production of the SHOWWX.

looking for the discontinue article.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

I've been following this thread for some time because I want to use this little thing for holography. Today Ifound this: http:////144.206.159.178/ft/CONF/16426345/16426352.pdf
    I think it will be useful to everyone.
    Hopefully in a day or two I will have it up and running.

Thanks Mihai for sharing that.

Welp, That pretty much nails that. What a neat little gizmo.
    Kudos to the eggheads that came up with that.
    Boy that thing has a nice beam too. Holography guys: What kind of optical power do you need?

Chad
    Last edited by chad; 03-17-2012 at 17:59.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Where does it say anything about holography? Yes i think great mobile holographic applications are possible with these fairly efficent Osram DFLs, im currently working on a unit to fit in my wrist watch

Chad to answer your question. The current laser favored by holographers and made by coherent is about 100mw and sells for $1200+ !
    Last edited by holokidd; 03-17-2012 at 20:34.

First of all, I would like to say thank you all guys for all the valuable info you shared about this laser. This convinced me to buy one of those projectors.
    Where does it say anything about holography?
    Well, it doesn't say anything specifically about holography, but it says: "The laser delivers typically 50 mW cw green laser power in transverse and axial single mode..." axial single mode I assume it means single longitudinal mode, so, it should work.

In the last months I was looking for a cheap green laser suitable for holography, because I can't afford a Coherent Compass 315, and when I saw that you managed to shoot some holograms with this little thing, i bought the projector. About a week ago, I removed that mirror and got myself a "white laser pointer", and I've set up a Michelson interferometer, and it showed some beautiful green fringes, although it is pulsed (I could see a dashed line while scanning the combined beam against a wall); red and blue were just blobs. Today i took it apart. When i said i will have it up and running in a day or two, i meant i will build a driver and mount the module on a heatsink and put everything in some sort of enclosure, so i can try to use it to shoot some DCG, i have some plates that i coated few weeks ago, hope they're still good to use.

Thank you again guys for all the info, especially you holokidd, because you proved it can be used to shoot holos!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Thanks Mihai for sharing that.
    Indeed, thanks for posting that!..

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Welp, That pretty much nails that.
    Yep.. are you thinking what I'm thinking? (..a 'new hope' for the nanoRGB for 'satellites' n' such, 'product-wise'... I'm such a capitalist-pig, lol... ..actually, just more of a 'survivalist'..

Anyhoo, cool-beans, err beams ..I look forward to having the time to play with this one.. in like, ya know, 2015 or so..

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Another thing... that small thing next to the blue diode in the projector, marked R2, it's not a resistor, it's a 10K thermistor. I've just tested it. Most likely it is used to measure the temperature of the whole device to adjust the heater inside the green module for maximum green output.

Hello Mihai, thats great news youll be making a unit for holography ! What will you be driving it with? Were you able to test actual V/A delivered to the laser diode and heater ? My first two uints were "non operating" so i wasnt able to test factory settings.........Im now getting ready to tear into #2 showwx for a final battery operated SLM unit.

An interesting fact as i Zapped my first green unit (lousey electronics backround!), it still lases @ maybe a couple Mw only, not just an led, but actually lases...

PS im Known as "holomaker" on the holofourum .............