Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: US Legal Audience Scanning Effect

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Only took a couple months but, I finally got around to testing this out. (Since I started the thread in the first place!) Took a little bit of fiddling to get everything right and I'm not using a great projector but, it was exciting nonetheless to haze the room and watch my DLP projector do it's thing. Now the search is on for the Epson or whatever else may work well.

Bradfo69,

Did you ever get an Epson to try this out? Were you happy with the results?

I have some $ to spend and can't decide between buying the Epson or buying another Pluto. I am leaning toward the Epson so I can audience scan with it, but the venue I will be using it in the most is not completely dark. My pluto looks good in the room doing overhead beams, but I'm concerned the Epson might not look bright enough. The room is about 40'x30' with two 4' flourescent lights in the back that they will NOT turn off - I've asked. I use a hazer.

Anyone else done the Emulaser thing with good results?

Anyone found a better projector than the Epson? Or a cheaper one with the same specs?
    Eric in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by djeric68 View Post
    I have some $ to spend and can't decide between buying the Epson or buying another Pluto. I am leaning toward the Epson so I can audience scan with it, but the venue I will be using it in the most is not completely dark.

Anyone found a better projector than the Epson? Or a cheaper one with the same specs?
    Hey Eric,

I've experimented with several mid-range DLP and 3LCD video projectors (for video not emulaser) recently and have several laser projectors that I crowd scan with in my private environment. Upon re-reviewing Buffo's original video post from last year and comparing it against my laser projectors (including single-mode builds) with safety scan lenses in them, I'd have to say that the Epson 5020 looks significantly better than a good laser projector (like a Pluto) with a -6 safety scan lens on it. Not to mention, I doubt even a Pluto 2.5 would be within anywhere near MPE even with 50% BAM in addition to a -6 SS lens . . . not to mention the extremely challenging variances you'd have to obtain to do so to legally crowd-scan in the US.

The Epson 5020 UB has a 320K:1 contrast ratio which is excellent for a 3LCD projector. It may not be the best in comparison to DLP projectors, but a 3LCD projector should prove to be MUCH more resilient to any laser exposure (reflections, laser pointers in the crowd, or laser projectors in the Epson's projection field) as compared with a modern DLP projector. (Take it from someone that's toasted two DLP projectors in three months despite using automated shutters on them.) The slightest hit from even a relatively low power (~700mW) laser beam moving fast across a DLP's projection field causes a cascade failure resulting in one or (many) more lines and/or columns lost. In addition, I'm not sure that 100% black blacks are critical as most laser projectors are not completely black when not projecting thanks to light leakage from status diodes. You could compensate with dmx controlled shutter or even a piggy-back from the ILDA signal for the video projector when its not in use to ensure complete black-out.

Although I don't have Beyond and therefore haven't experimented with Emulaser personally, having watched demos, I think the trick to the best results is to split the projection between a good laser projector for the safe range and the video projector below it. I also find it distracting when the distance between the aperture points of the laser and the video projector are far apart, so if I were implementing this, I would do whatever it took to minimize this distance (e.g. flipping the laser projector upside down and/or making a custom stand to get them mounted nearly on top of each other.)

I also did a quick search and saw manufacturer refurbished Epson 5020 UBe prices in the ballpark of US$1700 (including 2 year warranty). This seems like a lot of bang for the buck to me. Not to mention the average audience member wouldn't even know that they weren't being crowd scanned by a laser.

One last thought - the throw ratio is in the common range for a long-throw video projector (~1.5). That's not as wide as many laser projectors can do (not to mention the throw ratio of a set of Pango 506's), so you may want to consider decreasing the laser projectors scanning size to visually match the video projector's.

Have fun and please describe your experience if you go down the emulaser route.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

David answered your question far better than I could and I trust him completely. No, I did not get an Epson yet but, based on what David said above - and what I saw at FLEM, I don't think I'd futz around with anything but the Epson. And just for reference, -6 diopter safety scan lenses on a Pluto I deemed as being completely dog shite unwatchable. I have 7 of the damn -6 lenses and am fairly confident I will never use them. Wanna buy any??

Oh, and at FLEM, when we were showing the Epson to Adam's mother and her friend, there were other fluorescent room lights on, back in the kitchen and back of the room which was positioned behind the Epson so, you were looking at beams and room lights BEHIND it.

I would like to compare the Epson to a certified A.S. projector and see the difference. Does anyone in the southeast have one of the epsons?

What is an A.S. certified projector, Johnathon? I tried looking this one up and couldn't find the definition.

-David

A.S. = Audience Scanning.

Audience Scanning projectors must be varianced/certified as audience scanning projectors. Typically they incorporate PASS. You cannot audience scan (in public and legally) with a normal varianced/certified projector.

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    A.S. = Audience Scanning.

Audience Scanning projectors must be varianced/certified as audience scanning projectors. Typically they incorporate PASS. You cannot audience scan (in public and legally) with a normal varianced/certified projector.
    Lol. Duh! I was looking for AS certified video projectors and coming up with nothing. Swamidog and I were treated to a MPE safe demo at ILDA this year and I'd be surprised if the perceived brightness of even a mid range video projector wouldn't be in excess of a US MPE controlled laser projector. A side by side demo would be nice though to confirm this.

David

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Lol. Duh! I was looking for AS certified video projectors and coming up with nothing. Swamidog and I were treated to a MPE safe demo at ILDA this year and I'd be surprised if the perceived brightness of even a mid range video projector wouldn't be in excess of a US MPE controlled laser projector. A side by side demo would be nice though to confirm this.

David
    it's funny. myself, and most people in the room still flinched when the beams swept across our faces. conditioning is hard to unlearn.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

David,

Thanks for the great info. I decided to buy the epson.

I know what you mean about the pluto w/ the -6 pango lens. i bought one and got the same results. I bought the lens for a bam type safety net if things ever got out of control, and never intended to A.S. with it, but i did try it at home "just to see" how it would look and agree it is not great.

The epson seems to be the way to go. I dont want to deal with the variance hassels needed to do A.S. and possible liability issues.

I'll post an update when i get the epson.

Thanks,
    Eric