Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optical Scanning? What?

Default Optical Scanning? What?

I am buying the Shinp AL-460RGY very soon and the only thing that is bothering me is the fact it will not tell me the galvo speed, the preview pictures of it are very clear so I am thinking at least 20k.

Trouble is it doesn't tell me the galvo speed at all, not even in the manual. All it tells me is "Scanner: High-speed optical scanner, big angle scanning".

I am sure this cant be but does it mean it doesn't use galvos? Here is the manual:
    http://www.chinesedepartmentstore.co...english--1.htm

While I am here the scanner comes with 50mW of 532nm and 100mW of 650nm. Where would be the cheapest place to upgrade these parts by, say 150mW green and 200mw red?
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

Lamborgini ....

Have you actually purchased this unit yet ..... if not hold off for a bit, im sure many people here can advise you the most cost effective unit to buy with the best quality components ....

the first signs of worry for me was that the manufacturer stated

do not use this continuously over 4 Hours, otherwise it shortens the lifetime of the unit.

this to me states that there is a bad overheating problem with the unit, and / or that the diodes are not tec cooled

would you buy a new car that states that you must mot drive for more than 100 miles as the car will breakdown.

all the best ... Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Lamborgini ....

Have you actually purchased this unit yet ..... if not hold off for a bit, im sure many people here can advise you the most cost effective unit to buy with the best quality components ....

the first signs of worry for me was that the manufacturer stated

this to me states that there is a bad overheating problem with the unit, and / or that the diodes are not tec cooled

would you buy a new car that states that you must mot drive for more than 100 miles as the car will breakdown.

all the best ... Karl
    Hmm ok, I havent actually bought it yet but its the one I have had my eye on for some time.

Could you recommend any that are RGY animation/beam scanners with ILDA, sound active and auto cycle through animations and beam shows? Around the same price would be good.

This one seams to be the cheapest around that can do all this. There are loads more but RGY and ILDA is a nessecity for this.

Sorry to double on this.

The description of the AL-460RGY says the lasers are TE Cooled. I have contacted Shinp and waiting to see what they say. I wont be using the unit for 4 hours continuously anyway.

My twopenneth...

DON'T DO IT, well, not yet anyway. Try to hold back your eagerness for a few more weeks. The Uk laser meet is coming up in August, if you are able to attend the meet you will learn Soooo much in one day that you may well have a change of mind.

If you buy now you may be disappointed with your purchase after you have seen what kit others are using. On the other hand, this projector may be better than anything we're currently using, at the end of the day it's your money and your choice.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    My twopenneth...

DON'T DO IT, well, not yet anyway. Try to hold back your eagerness for a few more weeks. The Uk laser meet is coming up in August, if you are able to attend the meet you will learn Soooo much in one day that you may well have a change of mind.

If you buy now you may be disappointed with your purchase after you have seen what kit others are using. On the other hand, this projector may be better than anything we're currently using, at the end of the day it's your money and your choice.

Cheers

Jem
    Thing is, its a perfect price for me that wont cause problems at a later date for me. Its got everything I want as well and I cant seam to find another RGY for the same price.

I cant really come to the meet either plus going by the pictures each laser there is probally worth well over £500 which will blow my budget well into 2010.

I have seen the AL-100 though, it does everything the one I am looking at does but it has just one 100mW green laser which would be my second option. That one seams more popular than the one I am looking at.

i recently purchased a 1W RGB 30k and an AL 460 RGY from Savash at chinese department store, I have used both together at the Japanese owned club Ageha in Taiwan, Taipei ( yes, its the Taiwanese branch of the Tokyo super club but it has the same high standards and management)

this club regularly has 800-1200 people and DJs such as SuperChumbo and Dave Seaman, The 1W RGB does an excellent job of covering the entire venue, and I use the smaller 150mw rgy to fill in.

both of these lasers get used and moved around ALOT in Taipei at the moment, the rgy is a good low weight unit it costs around 300us and is CE stamped, the internal patterns are good (better than the 1Watt!) and very suitable for easy dmx control. its ideal for a smaller venue of around 50-150 people.
    I have actually opened this laser case and it all seems to be good and solid enough.
    Sure its a 650nm red but at least its honest in the description, and yes i think the scanners are around 20k, definitely ok for simpler logos etc...

my only regret is i didn't get 2 of these lasers, as they are so useful to hire to lower budget events,

My experience of dealing with Savash has been nothing short of excellent, especially he is often online and is always willing to help and offer technical advice.

this link is a recent gig in Taipei but its only the 1W running i think

http://taiwannights.com/?op=photos&page=gallery&id=547

Quote Originally Posted by Speculative Lasers - Dan View Post
    i recently purchased a 1W RGB 30k and an AL 460 RGY from Savash at chinese department store, I have used both together at the Japanese owned club Ageha in Taiwan, Taipei ( yes, its the Taiwanese branch of the Tokyo super club but it has the same high standards and management)

this club regularly has 800-1200 people and DJs such as SuperChumbo and Dave Seaman, The 1W RGB does an excellent job of covering the entire venue, and I use the smaller 150mw rgy to fill in.

both of these lasers get used and moved around ALOT in Taipei at the moment, the rgy is a good low weight unit it costs around 300us and is CE stamped, the internal patterns are good (better than the 1Watt!) and very suitable for easy dmx control. its ideal for a smaller venue of around 50-150 people.
    I have actually opened this laser case and it all seems to be good and solid enough.
    Sure its a 650nm red but at least its honest in the description, and yes i think the scanners are around 20k, definitely ok for simpler logos etc...

my only regret is i didn't get 2 of these lasers, as they are so useful to hire to lower budget events,

My experience of dealing with Savash has been nothing short of excellent, especially he is often online and is always willing to help and offer technical advice.

this link is a recent gig in Taipei but its only the 1W running i think

http://taiwannights.com/?op=photos&page=gallery&id=547
    Hmm so you say that the AL-460RGY is actually ok.

I dont intend to use it for huge clubs, just small family parties with around 40 people at most. In the future I plan to start a business out of it I will probally upgrade the parts inside it anyway. A 650nm can easily be replaced by a 630nm anyway, or even in a few months I coul replace it with a blue.

For now 160mW and 20k galvos are fine for me.

You say the patterns are better than your 1W laser? In what way are they better?

well on the rgb i dont think the patterns really use the machines ability, and also the rgy has more variation in the patterns, even some logos and xmas....stuff like....

but basically i think it would be fine for the number of people you are talking about, i got it becas my 1w was 5000us + and i needed a cheap and small unit as a hire alternative, and it hasnt dissapointed me, its easy to hire it for 50us a night to local djs and they just plug it in. so its close to having paid for itself.

definitely help to get a hazer or fogger at least, sure you get what you pay for but the 1w was nearly 20times the price, and i wouldnt say it was 20X better (maybe 10X), im guess the AL460 has a one year warranty but im not sure, if so you cant really go wrong, i think mine is around 100hours and still going fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Speculative Lasers - Dan View Post
    well on the rgb i dont think the patterns really use the machines ability, and also the rgy has more variation in the patterns, even some logos and xmas....stuff like....

but basically i think it would be fine for the number of people you are talking about, i got it becas my 1w was 5000us + and i needed a cheap and small unit as a hire alternative, and it hasnt dissapointed me, its easy to hire it for 50us a night to local djs and they just plug it in. so its close to having paid for itself.

definitely help to get a hazer or fogger at least, sure you get what you pay for but the 1w was nearly 20times the price, and i wouldnt say it was 20X better (maybe 10X), im guess the AL460 has a one year warranty but im not sure, if so you cant really go wrong, i think mine is around 100hours and still going fine.
    Ah great, its what I am looking for. Most of the time my lasers are being used in my room, it will only be used anywhere else for family parties or something like that.

Have you had a look inside it? The only issue with upgrading components is of course the space inside, would I have enough room to replace say the 50mW green that it comes with for a 100mW green?