Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool laser harp

very cool .
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

So that's where my old C64 ended up!
    This space for rent.

Fantastic for a classical harp. Must say I prefer the Jean Michelle Jarre version but thats just because I'm more contemporary.

Would be great if a national orchestra adopted one of these traditional ones for their performances though. Something unusual for them and something good for lasers.

Looks stunning...
    Move toward the light!

Default Glad you like it ! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    Glad you like it! ;-) It was built to order, for a new Children`s science Museum at the National Science Center in Malaysia. The new Museum will open in April. I preloaded a bunch of different programed songs, including some classical pieces, but also Jazz, percussion, jamming mixes and lots of sampled and fun stuff for the kids to play. There are buttons which allow about 120 different programed songs to be scrolled through. And the staff there can change and program any thing they want.

...needs more cowbell....

seriously tho.
    could you port any sound sample into the program & have it play , drums, or cowbell, or whatever you wanted to add to it? If so I would be all over that in a heartbeat!
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Default More cowbells,..... yes indeed !! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vidal Wolf View Post
    ...needs more cowbell....

seriously tho.
    could you port any sound sample into the program & have it play , drums, or cowbell, or whatever you wanted to add to it? If so I would be all over that in a heartbeat!
    Yep, you can program anything of any type of sound sample, length, loop, sequence to end, single sound, ect. ( including a full range of cowbells). You can also set it so that you can scratch through a sample, just like playing with vinyl. I use the software in the inverse mode, but in normal mode, with the light reflected to sensors, it has a cool analog function that allows you to shift pitch or volume of the out put, depending on how much light he optic sensors receive.

There is a wave file editor and synthesizer both built-in to the windows software. Also any still image or video triggered in the same way. I have just played with composing original stuff a tiny bit, but you can do anything you like with it. the sound quality is all in the sound card on your laptop and speakers used.

This unit has a laptop and stereo three speaker system in the cabinet the harp is bolted to, so it was shipped to be plug and play for the Museum. All they had to do was to bolt it to the floor, bolt the harp in place, and plug all the components together and power it up !:-)

Default Harp with both lasers and strings.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Fantastic for a classical harp. Must say I prefer the Jean Michelle Jarre version but that's just because I'm more contemporary.

Would be great if a national orchestra adopted one of these traditional ones for their performances though. Something unusual for them and something good for lasers.
    Interesting that you mention this,...!!:-)

I built one last year with 33 acoustic-electric-midi strings, and six 5mw green lasers. So that harp can be played acoustically, with six lasers triggering whatever the harpist can dream up, or with the midi and mixed mono electric output or all of it together. Last I
    I heard, the owner`s partner was finishing up the on-board midi system wiring ( gave them a price break for this ), and hopefully I will get some video of her playing the harp in stage performances with the four green bass lasers, plus the two that shoot up the harp soundboard to sensors hidden under carved leaves. ( The harp is all carved with vines and leaves, from Cherry wood, with a Spruce sound board).