Thread: ilda + XLR stage snake

Default ilda + XLR stage snake

I currently use (1) 100 ft run , and or (1) 50 ft run and (1) 25 ft run and set up next to front of house.
    does someone sell / make a signal snake that has XLR's and a ILDA On one snake ?

If I made one my self could i do 3 XLR cables, 1 ILDA, and 1 120v power in a single snake run, Or would the power interfere with the dmx / ilda signals .

Can someone recommend a good place in the states that would have all the parts.
    Mostly the box and the outer sleeve for the cables

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pro-Series-Snake.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	20018

you would have to use really good shielded cable for your ILDA signals and audio or else your going to get noise in your X/Y and Audio from the power, and probably noise in your audio from the ILDA signal

you can get expandable sleeving from just about anywhere that sells wire and stuff like that... like Markertek, Mouser or DigiKey

would i get "noise" in my DMX signal from the ILDA
    ( I will be using DMX, not audio Signal )

If not properly shielded dmx will interfere with audio and ilda, hardly the other way around.

If you mix dmx/ilda/audio make sure that individual grounds/shields are isolated from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    would i get "noise" in my DMX signal from the ILDA
    ( I will be using DMX, not audio Signal )
    use CAT5 for the DMX... the shield in the DMX cable does not really do much, the fact its 100 ohm and has a high twist per inch count make an excellent DMX cable

I would not worry about anything getting into the DMX signal unless your cable is going to be insanely long

Taping a mains power cable to the side of an audio snake is in fact totally standard practise at most PA companies, it seldom (As in Never) causes a problem.

I would strongly suspect that provided you are running differential ILDA down properly twisted pairs then taping ILDA, DMX, Audio and power together is most unlikely to be an issue. If any of the signals are unbalanced however, all bets are off.

Regards, Dan.

We sell RAPCO/HORIZON cables, the great thing about them is they'll build anything, exactly as you want it.

So, if you want a box with a 25-pin connector wired with digital cable, then 16 standard mic jacks with regular audio cable @ 100' going to a fan. They'll make it They even label the connectors, and you can specify what type/grade you want used.

PM me for more info

-Jason

Don't worry about interference, it's really not a problem with ILDA signals. DMX is at best 5V, and audio may be a bit higher, but not enough to cause many interference issues. It's only really a problem when you are running mains next to anything.

thank you for all the responses. I will look into the company that makes custom snakes. I also have a 1000 ft spool of cat5e in my office.. my funds are looking a bit low at the moment. so I may just do seperate cable runs and make a dmx cable out of cat5 until i have the extra resources .

thanks for the advice. you guys are great.