Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The EK-DZ Advanced Laser Router!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Now that this is days away... I guess it's time to get serious about a tablet. But... I don't know the first thing about them or "Touch OSC" or whatever it's called. Is whatever you created on your tablet to control these things going to be made available along with how to "install" it?
    TouchOSC is a paid app you would need to buy for your tablet.
    I "think" it's only made for iOS devices:

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

DZ already has the template made, along with all instructions, available for free download on his web site.

Easiest way to transfer downloaded files (including DZ's template) to an iOS device is to use Apples free iTunes, which you can use to manage everything on your iOS devices with your computer.
    A few anti-Apple folks will swear at it (which is really funny if they own Apple hardware...) and will insist on using 3rd-part solutions, but for most iOS users the iTunes software works just fine.

Navigating iOS devices takes some getting use to - they're very different from tablets based on Windows OS's.
    Not difficult, just different, and well worth the time it take to get comfortable with the interface.

As for the DZ TouchOSC template -
    even though I didn't get the chance to actually work with the router, I did get the chance to tinker with the DZ template on my old iPad 2 working with Beyond -
    VERY cool, and all you have to do is install the template and go few through a few setup steps as documented by DZ.
    All the hard work was done in the programming DZ put into the template.

i imagine it would be VERY cool to actually use this with an operating router!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I have an iPhone so hopefully it's a fairly seamless learning curve. I guess iPad it is. Time to go shopping!
    PM Sent...

Hi all, sorry for the delay in shipping notification, been a busy weekend. Looks like most of the Routers will start arriving on Monday, Oct. 5th. I've sent everyone an email with the tracking information. Looking forward to hearing some feedback!!

Awesome, DZ. Thanks again to you both! I guess reading the manual is now a necessity. For those of you who don't want to dig through the prior posts, here is the location of the manual: http://www.aldebaran-systems.com/Router_Manual_1.3.pdf
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

The babies have arrived safe and sound. Just signed for them a minute ago.

Speaking of the manual... I'm just a little surprised one wasn't included with the units. I know that adds costs and we're all capable of printing a pdf but, if this goes "retail", I would think one would be inside the box.

Inching ever so closer to having to get a tablet now. How does the tablet talk to Beyond or the router though? I'm still not up on all the newfangled technology these dang kids have these days!
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 10-05-2015 at 11:49.
    PM Sent...

The same tablet you use to run Touch OSC can also be used for the manual -
    All kinds of iOS document readers available (I personally really like one called GoodReader)

Quick overview of how the TouchOSC/Router setup works:

The iPad running TouchOSC is sending commands to Beyond running on your computer.
    Beyond then interprets those commands and interacts via DMX (and the Enttec DMX interface) with the router(s).
    DZ also includes some workspace pages that add zone and color chases that interact directly with the router via DMX cues.

So, Beyond is now controlling the lasers through the Pangolin laser controllers, AND via DMX (and TouchOSC) through the router(s).

You'll have two levels of documentation to wade through to initially get setup.

First, you'll need to get TouchOSC on your iPad to talk to your PC:
    http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc

After that, DZ's manual comes into play, and tells you how to configure Beyond.
    You'll want to download both files on this page:
    http://www.aldebaran-systems.com/BeyondDMX.htm

Unzip DZ's files, and start reading!!
    The manual is included in one of those downloads.

SO -
    Give yourself a day or two to learn how all the new stuff works...
    Last edited by Stuka; 10-05-2015 at 12:40.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I guess what I meant is how the tablet talks to Beyond. I assume you need wifi and have them networked that way or something? Or is it like Bluetooth or like a wireless mouse or something?
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I guess what I meant is how the tablet talks to Beyond. I assume you need wifi and have them networked that way or something? Or is it like Bluetooth or like a wireless mouse or something?
    WiFi -
    Via your WiFi router (easiest to configure), or through an "ad hoc" connection directly between the iPad and PC.
    Pretty sure the TouchOSC documentation explains how to setup both.

Takes a bit of tinkering the first time around, but actually pretty easy once you see how it all works.
    Last edited by Stuka; 10-05-2015 at 14:15.
    RR

Sweet.....

Mine arrived yesterday afternoon! WOOT!

Adam

Mine arrived safe and sound yesterday despite the wet weather.

Its truly a beauty, but is it too late to ask that mine be housed in a white case with about 10-12 small to medium modifications?

Seriously, I suspect I will wish I had two or more of these babies at some point.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"