View Poll Results: HAVE YOU EVER USED AN ILDA FORMAT THREE FILE

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no idea what Formats I use. They just Load.

5 25.00%
  • Yes, I've knowingly been sent a Format Three FILE

5 25.00%
  • NO, I have not used a Format Three file.

9 45.00%
  • Why Do I even care.

1 5.00%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilda format three

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Ilda format three

Poll to find out who has ever received an ILDA file in the largely unused Format 3.
    This is for fun and not scientific.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Back in the day when format 3 was the proposed new ILDA format I had some software online which would produce format 3 files.

But that's history. Format 3 has since been abandoned in favor of format 4&5. I've been actively working on ILDA's technical
    committee on the goal to *finally* have the format 4&5 as non-draft final version up on ILDA's webpage. At the last conference
    in Vegas the ILDA's board signed it off - so it is an officical standard now. Just waiting for it to appear on ILDA's website...

I once wrote a small converter .exe file which would convert any format 3 to 4&5 and vice-versa. Drop me a line if you want it.

Greetings,
    Robin

Your poll should include a response of "Yes, I have written software that reads and / or writes format 3."

LaserBoy reads both the 16 byte section header type and the 32 byte type.

And you can save that as format 4 or 5.

Therefor, so does ildSOS.

LB also saves files with format 3 sections using the same 32 byte section header as the rest of the ILDA sections for all frames containing more than 256 unique colors, at your option.

Are there any plans to put the new spec in the public area of the website?

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-22-2015 at 21:12.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by afrob View Post
    Back in the day when format 3 was the proposed new ILDA format I had some software online which would produce format 3 files.

But that's history. Format 3 has since been abandoned in favor of format 4&5. I've been actively working on ILDA's technical
    committee on the goal to *finally* have the format 4&5 as non-draft final version up on ILDA's webpage. At the last conference
    in Vegas the ILDA's board signed it off - so it is an officical standard now. Just waiting for it to appear on ILDA's website...

I once wrote a small converter .exe file which would convert any format 3 to 4&5 and vice-versa. Drop me a line if you want it.

Greetings,
    Robin
    That is great news! After a mere 11 years of waiting... :P

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    That is great news! After a mere 11 years of waiting... :P
    HA!

Yes! With great trepidation and conflict.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Greetings,
    Robin
    robin,

is matthias' IDN also slated for official approval?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Robin, since you are currently working on the file spec and you have written software that reads and writes format 3, I have to ask you what you think about format 3.

Do you understand why it was added to the set of sections with a non-uniform 16 byte header instead of the same 32 byte header used for all of the other sections?

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Greetings,
    Robin
    Could it be after all these years ILDA formats 4&5 have achieved final canonization???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...1914688#t=2711

For the sake of total disclosure, the only format 3 files I've ever seen (other than those I made myself) were sent to me via email sometime in 2005, by Matt Polak, who was then the chair of the ILDA Technical Standards and Specifications Committee, while the new spec was in public review.

I made a public request for any examples from anyone working on the new spec on the alt.lasers news group.

He sent me two files and each one had only one frame.

I don't remember them being made or exchanged by anyone except I think I remember some confusion about some stuff that was on the PL FTP server. I never looked into that.

Andrew made some modifications to his working copy of the LaserBoy core (ildSOS) to be able to read the 16 byte section header and verify that it was not the 32 byte section header, sent that to me and I added that to my working code. His addition is still noted in the source code.

James.
    Last edited by james; 01-22-2015 at 22:17.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

I have not. But I am pretty new to the game, I was not around during the "format war".