Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UKLEM Catering

Default UKLEM Catering

Hi folks, me and Mrs Thorcus have a catering trailer that is fully equipped with a potato oven, griddle, cooker, fridge freezer etc so we can do potatoes (obviously) sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, hot and cold drinks etc. My question is - if you are attending the UKLEM in October would you make use of this service? If there is enough demand we will bring it along and can do a range of tasty num nums to keep you all fed and energised.
    So if you would like us to be there please let me know via this thread so we can gauge if it is viable.
    Thanks in advance.

Thorcusmodee, prince of darkness due to blowing all the bloody the fuses. Again.

OK, looks like that's a non starter then.....

May I make a suggestion?

You'd be better off posting this on the 'Surfleet Laser Enthusiasts Group' on Facebook (or perhaps on the Photonlexicon FB Group). A lot of the UK members who attend the LEM's are more active on FB these days.

As a financial proposition I would think you're on to a non-starter as there just wouldn't be sufficient trade to make it viable. As a nice thing to do (ignoring the financial bit) it may well be appreciated by some attendees. However, before you do anything in this regard it is essential that you contact Jim (the organiser of the Surfleet LEM's). Jim ultimately carries the responsibility for the LEM and therefore has the final say on what goes.

Regards

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi Jem, I had been speaking to Jim about it but wanted to see if there was likely to be enough takers before fully committing to it. I don't do facebook, tried it, didn't get on with it. I don't think it's going to be viable, Jim tells me there are only about 25-35 attendees across the whole weekend, the cost of gas etc. would make it prohibitive as I would guess we would only get about 10 -15 customers. It's no big deal, if there had been enough interest we would have brought it along but I will just attend without it.

Yes, I think it's perhaps for the best really.

Probably much better is to just come along and enjoy the weekend. Being there with a catering van with expectations of making money would perhaps put undue pressure on folks to feel as though they ought to support you. Far better to get to know everyone without having financial expectations getting in the way
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I wasn't bothered about making money, just didn't want to lose any. The idea was to do stuff at cost but I don't see it working with so few people. I shall bombard people with stupid questions instead

Great gesture Sir!

(Although our collective team track record with kitchen appliances has been poor; that microwave was never the same again)
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by thorcusmodee View Post
    ...I shall bombard people with stupid questions instead
    No questions are too stupid, believe me, i've been there

I'm sure you'll be made very welcome and have a great time, looking forward to meeting you.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    No questions are too stupid .....
    Really?
    • Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?
    • If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
    • Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?
    • If space is a vacuum, who changes the bags?
    • What was the name of the dog in the cartoon series "Scooby Doo"?
    • Which Country is Mexico in?

Cool Only one really stupid question in that list...

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?
    My understanding is that the anti mouse defamation league (AMDL) wields considerable power, and after they successfully sued Purina to halt the development of "Mouse Nuggets", no other pet food manufacturer has dared try to defy them.

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
    Both, and neither.

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?
    Because 1950's movie audiences were not prepared to see a rough, rugged man with a beard. Focus groups showed that women of the time much preferred the look of a clean-shaven man with a bare, hairless chest. (Particularly if the chest was well-oiled and shiny.) This "Tarzan look" has become a tradition, despite the absurd nature of a man living in the jungle with no facial hair.

If space is a vacuum, who changes the bags?
    Since space is mostly empty, the bag has yet to fill up. Eventually though it will get full, and at that point SOMEONE will have to deal with it. Let's hope it's not us!

What was the name of the dog in the cartoon series "Scooby Doo"?
    There were two. The title character, "Scooby", and his annoying nephew-sidekick, "Scrappy".

Which Country is Mexico in?
    Now there is a question worthy of a Miss Teen USA contestant from South Carolina!

Adam