Thread: LK PD2 scanner upgrade?

Default LK PD2 scanner upgrade?

I'm curious whether any owners have found a good drop in replacement for the scanners in this unit. It seems like a natural mod since these are pretty lightweight.

If you've done it successfully, please toss up what you put in there and whether you needed to replace the driver or power supply. I will also check with the company as they may even offer better ones.

Thanks,
    Tommy

I have installed DT-40Ws in the LK-SD, which is a little more compact than the LK-PD2 (I have both).

I used the PS that came with the galvos, in addition to keeping the original PS for the lasers. I originally mounted the galvos and PS externally on the projector, but I have since removed the unused components from the projector and mounted everything inside.

Here's a post I made about it, hope it helps:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...736#post272736

Thanks bungy, that looks great.

Hey Revmutt!

Check out Post #6 in this thread from last week for details on my LK-PD2 scanner upgrade: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ghlight=lk-pd2

Good luck and hope you have fun!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Very nice, have you documented how you modded the lasers to analog?

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Hey Revmutt!

Check out Post #6 in this thread from last week for details on my LK-PD2 scanner upgrade: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ghlight=lk-pd2

Good luck and hope you have fun!

-David

Thanks David, I actually had read that thread which was part of what got me thinking about it vs. building a projector. I wish that at least the 30's would have worked with the pre existing PS.

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Revmutt View Post
    Thanks David, I actually had read that thread which was part of what got me thinking about it vs. building a projector. I wish that at least the 30's would have worked with the pre existing PS.

Tommy
    Yes, that unit is really tight to begin with! For my upgrade, I needed extra space for a larger green's driver & PSU, larger scanner drivers, a DZ colour correction board, and of course, the PSU so a case extension was necessary. I also had an issue with my unit where the PSU either had a ground fault or simply didn't have an umph to drive the scanners that came with it, so I was happy to lighten the original PSU's load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0780.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	43198

Quote Originally Posted by bungy View Post
    Very nice, have you documented how you modded the lasers to analog?
    Thanks, Bungy

I haven't documented this part of the mod yet. I'm using Flexmods for the red and blue and I managed to squeeze some more mW out of them. The green I replaced (as opposed to getting a lowside driver with a TEC). I had one sitting around, but it was larger (with higher output) than the green that came with it. If I didn't have the green dpss handy, I probably would have used a 120mW direct green instead and amped it up to 200mW.

The resulting analog output for my build was Red: 145mW, Green: 202mW, Blue: 455mW. This results in a red deficient build, but this seems to be the norm these days.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"