Thread: EK-DZ ADAT to ILDA Converter

Default EK-DZ ADAT to ILDA Converter

Hi everyone! I'm proud to introduce the EK-DZ ADAT to ILDA Converter!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1798.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	44053

The ADAT to ILDA Converter differs from the ILDA to ADAT Converter in that this is used for output instead of recording. The converter receives the ADAT Optical signal and converts it to 8 analog channels. These channels are then routed to the appropriate pins on a female DB-25 connector to attach to your laser projector. The channel assignment is as follows:

Channel 1 is clamped and converted to differential and attaches to pin 1 and 14 (X axis)
    Channel 2 is clamped and converted to differential and attaches to pin 2 and 15 (Y axis)
    Channel 3 is clamped and attaches to pin 5 (Red)
    Channel 4 is clamped and attaches to pin 6 (Green)
    Channel 5 is clamped and attaches to pin 7 (Blue)
    Channel 6 Auxiliary channel, see below
    Channel 7 Left Audio, by default is AC coupled, can be DC coupled via a jumper
    Channel 8 Right Audio, by default is AC coupled, can be DC coupled via a jumper

Auxiliary channel – This channel can be used for a number of functions. Inside the converter a jumper block sets the mode of the channel. This can be set to output to an RCA connector on the back of the converter (SMPTE or other data stream) or it can be set to control Shutter (Pin 13), Deep Blue (pin 8), Yellow (pin 9) or Cyan (pin 10). In addition to this, via 2 additional jumpers, you can set this line to be clamped between 0-5V and switch between AC and DC coupling.

Name:	IMG_1836.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	44054

The front of the converter features several adjustment potentiometers for X/Y image offset and gain, as well as control over the intensity of RGB.

The rear of the converter features X/Y invert switches and shutter control. The shutter control switch, if in the up position will apply a +5V signal to ILDA pin13 regardless of how the Auxiliary channel is configured.

Name:	IMG_1799.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	44056

There are 3 ways this device can be utilized! If you have shows on an ADAT that isn't modified for laser show playback, simply attach this converter to the ADAT via an ADAT Optical cable and you're ready to start playing shows. That's it!

If you have both converters, you can connect your DAC to the ILDA to ADAT Converter, then light pipe to the ADAT to ILDA Converter and connect your projector. So what benefit does this have? Due to the high price, not much. There are ways to send the signal between the 2 converters over 300' apart. However, there are much less expensive ways of doing this, it's just another capability of the 2 converters.

If you have a sound card that supports ADAT Optical, the converter can be used for playback of recorded wave files on your PC. This works with the ECHO Layla's ADAT Optical port as well as the E-MU 1010 card. My current configuration is the E-MU card, using Winamp to playback shows.

Name:	pci card.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	389.3 KB 
ID:	44055

I am currently working on a manual and should have something available soon.

Now for cost, if I could order enough parts to build a hundred of these things I could probably get the price cut in half.... Since I don't see that happening the price for the ADAT to ILDA Converter will have to be $350 each. This will include a 9VDC power supply and optical cable. I should have one available to ship by the end of this week, after that there will be about a 3 week lead time to get any more out the door.

Thanks!

Edit - OEM Version now available. This will include a completed circuit board and that is all. You will need to provide an enclosure, power supply, optical cable and potentiometers if you desire. The OEM Version is $250

Edit - For playback of shows in wave format from a PC, I have found that Spider Player, Winamp and Foobar2000 all work very well. I have also found that the MiniDSP USBStreamer works great for playback and recording.

Name:	foobar.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	44921
    Last edited by DZ; 10-02-2014 at 10:58.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Humm.... I'm trying to wrap my head around why I need one of these. My 2 ADAT's and HD24 are all modded. I don't know that I'll have a need a 300 foot run and I have your modded Layla. I sort of hate to not buy one. But, I'm having a "duh" moment. Is this basically to eliminate the need for having an ADAT, HD24 or Layla modified for laser show playback?

I'm thinking applying the $350 for the next gen splitter makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Humm.... I'm trying to wrap my head around why I need one of these. My 2 ADAT's and HD24 are all modded. I don't know that I'll have a need a 300 foot run and I have your modded Layla. I sort of hate to not buy one. But, I'm having a "duh" moment. Is this basically to eliminate the need for having an ADAT, HD24 or Layla modified for laser show playback?

I'm thinking applying the $350 for the next gen splitter makes more sense.
    Hey Brad, no worries! Yeah if you've already got modded ADATs and the Layla then you're in good shape for playback. The other converter was much more important in my opinion, I made this one to complete the "loop" and the convenience of it. And it looks cool as hell sitting on top of the other converter!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Hey Brad, no worries! Yeah if you've already got modded ADATs and the Layla then you're in good shape for playback. The other converter was much more important in my opinion, I made this one to complete the "loop" and the convenience of it. And it looks cool as hell sitting on top of the other converter!
    Can you just apply a external clock to both for "ILDA OVER FIBER" ????????????

Fiber is cheap and durable these days.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I've blown a shit ton of money on, "looks cool as hell..." followed by a devil face so, I should probably jump in and get the first one off the line since... after all... it's a DZ creation but, I'm leaning towards holding off at least until after SELEM.

I'm sitting here thinking though.... if there were a compact wave player that went along with it, maybe with a USB or memory card slot, for storage... what a tiny solution for playing content. No big honking HD24 or carrying a laptop/desktop and Layla around. I know how small this unit it and if there were a player say the size of an external hard drive that velcro'd on top.... It probably wouldn't have enough appeal to warrant designing though. Although that, and a tiny single mode diode projector could fit in a knapsack and be taken practically anywhere.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 07-21-2014 at 03:19.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Can you just apply a external clock to both for "ILDA OVER FIBER" ????????????

Fiber is cheap and durable these days.

Steve
    Steve, the ILDA to ADAT Converter generates it's own clock (48KHz) and for recording it's the master clock source. When recording to ADAT, you would set the clock source for external 48K. If using something like the Layla or E-MU, again you would set the clock source for external 48K.

The ADAT to ILDA Converter is like a slave device, it doesn't generate a clock but instead uses the source of the ADAT Optical signal as the clock source.

Regarding the fiber, it is indeed cheap. I picked up several 25' ADAT Optical cables for less than 6 bucks each. And it's a hell of a lot easier to carry around than a 25' ILDA cable!

I've blown a shit ton of money on, "looks cool as hell..." followed by a devil face so, I should probably jump in and get the first one off the line since... after all... it's a DZ creation but, I'm leaning towards holding off at least until after SELEM.
    Ha! It's not a problem at all, Brad. At SELEM, I'll show you all about how it works and you can decide there. Then again, there will also be a fancy splitter there that may occupy a majority of your attention!

I'm sitting here thinking though.... if there were a compact wave player that went along with it, maybe with a USB or memory card slot, for storage... what a tiny solution for playing content. No big honking HD24 or carrying a laptop/desktop and Layla around. I know how small this unit it and if there were a player say the size of an external hard drive that velcro'd on top.... It probably wouldn't have enough appeal to warrant designing though. Although that, and a tiny single mode diode projector could fit in a knapsack and be taken practically anywhere.
    Whoa, that is really an awesome idea, Brad! Maybe a little LCD display to pick and choose which "playlist" to run. Playlists could be uploaded via USB to an internal flash drive, you select the playlist and hit play. Hmm, I really like that! Brad, if we can come up with something I'll give you the first one free for coming up with the idea! Somewhere in America a dude with the initials EK is thinking to himself "Crap!"

Ha! It's not a problem at all, Brad. At SELEM, I'll show you all about how it works and you can decide there. Then again, there will also be a fancy splitter there that may occupy a majority of your attention!
    You had me at the word "splitter"!

Whoa, that is really an awesome idea, Brad! Maybe a little LCD display to pick and choose which "playlist" to run. Playlists could be uploaded via USB to an internal flash drive, you select the playlist and hit play. Hmm, I really like that! Brad, if we can come up with something I'll give you the first one free for coming up with the idea! Somewhere in America a dude with the initials EK is thinking to himself "Crap!"
    LOL!! With single mode diode projectors being made in little 8" x 8" boxes and the size of this, a turnkey "planetarium style" laser show solution for home use a little bigger than a shoe box could be huge!
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 07-21-2014 at 04:57.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

What has my attention is a proposed building to building outdoor mega show at New Years, where RF and LAN are not available. 2.4 Ghz WLAN in that situation is going to be very crowded. Stringing Ethernet cable across the gap between buildings is asking for it. Routing via cheap, lightweight, fiber is doable.
    Just checking out the possibility at this time. Especially since 200 foot 200 u fiber is in the arsenal already.

Replace the TOSLINK type LED with a telcom type laser and roll.... No lightning hazard, no cable to break in the high winds, and the fiber has a 3 mm rubber jacket with Kevlar around it.

For those who think I'm nuts, RF pickup is serious problem when you have cell phone and FM transmitters on roofs. No two buildings have the same potential on the "Ground" circuit either.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-21-2014 at 08:31.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...