Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: controlling scanners standalone?

Default controlling scanners standalone?

I want to get one of those cheap $50 15K scanners just for doing tests with modules which are not in a laser projector. How can I control galvo scanners with a computer? I'm sure for some of the folks here who build their own projectors this is a pretty simple question.

Lightbulb

hi blue -

Welcome to PL.. Buckle your seatbelt..

If you're buying (presumably..) a cheapie-set of 'Chivos' (Chinese-OEM galvos), usually those come with the necessary +/- DC power-supplies, pre-wired.. Just add 110-120V AC, and X-Y scan-signals, and.. yer off..

..But, unless you *need* to generate 'scan-patterns', (ie: the 'ILDA test pattern' or, actual 'show content'..) best bet is an 'ILDA Gem' http://shop.stanwaxlaser.co.uk/ilda-...tool-563-p.asp
    Best invention since the string bikini.. If you're just 'testing modules', this will give you both scan and nice analog-color Outputs, so you can 'test both sides' - all without a 'nasty PC' to muck it up..

fwiw..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Hello. Thank you Thanks for linking to the ilda gem tool. Definitely will get one. It seems to be suitable for most tests, but I'm still curious, what would be the best way to connect to the PC and control via software, and not be too expensive itself for using with a $50 galvos?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    ...but I'm still curious, what would be the best way to connect to the PC and control via software, and not be too expensive itself..
    I believe this is where we cue 'John Yayas', James, et al.. 'Pangoware' (FB3 / QS) starts at about $500-ish, so.. Might be 'overkill', for what yer looking to-do.. There are other very 'well-to-do' Options, ie: RIYA, EtherDream (apart from "LSX", prolly don't wanna 'go there', for now.. Delivery-difficulties, there..) Phoenix, etc, but those-all might be better for 'Phase II' / down the road..

...I'm sure the 'sound-card champions' will pipe in, shortly..

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I'm working with some interesting stuff right now.

I got a new Raspberry Pi model 2 and have it running LaserBoy very well.

Plus I can shell into it on the network via ssh and tell it to play waves.

It is about the size of a credit card and runs off of +5VDC.

It has a 4 core CPU, 1GB RAM, 4 USB ports, Ethernet and HDMI video.

The Pi2 is $35.

A 32GB microSD card is about $25.

The USB SND8 sound device is about $20.

A LaserBoy Correction amp kit is $40 + shipping.

If you put all that together, you have a fully functional, pretty fast workstation that would fit inside of a projector case.

There are other laser projects out there, beside LB, that run in Linux and use a modified sound card DAC.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

http://www.dx.com/p/c-media-cm106-us...l-output-15746

Wouldn't this be a little bit cheaper?
    The only thing thats a shame is that there is no direct ilda player for raspberry but you need to output it to a wav file first. Aside of that laserboy rocks being able to turn ildas into wav files with ease.
    I do remember that I had to fiddle with bitrate when it came to the smoothness of playback and such playing back a laserboy generated wav file back on the raspberry pi *I forgot*

Thanks all. I actually have a RIYA Lite and LSX as well. And a 1W laser projector as well (though I've started to loose interest with laser animations after I discovered video mapping and Resolume and I'm now more interested in DIY laser pointers/ builds. I've heard RIYA now includes a free LSX like program, so it seems just a bit expensiver than what James is working on (though I'm not sure I got what he meant). But I'm not really sure what I'd need to connect the DAC to the scanners. Like I said I haven't built a projector myself.
    Last edited by blue; 03-05-2015 at 11:08.

The CM106L boxes say 7.1 but the boards are only populated for 6 channels.

So you have a Pi and you have run LB on it and played 6 channel waves?

Cool!

That means you can compile the code.

You can mess with the frame and frame set effects.

The Pi is a card about the size of a credit card that runs off of 5V.

It is a complete working computer.

You put a microSD memory card in it to be the hard drive.

It runs Linux and soon there will be a version of Windows 10 that will also run on it.

If it runs Linux, it is well suited to be a headless server.

You don't need to plug the keyboard, mouse or monitor into it.

Just plug it into the Ethernet and you can get to if from any other machine on the same network.

That way you can tell your projector to play a wave.

Now that there is a readily available stable fixed platform that is so inexpensive, I need to get busy writing code!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

James the CM106 in the datasheet states 8 channel output.
    No luck yet finding the unconnected pins for channel 7 and 8 though.
    any ideas?

http://www.steila.com/USB4IO/CMedia/...asheet-1.3.pdf

edit: Found the pins.
    I have a c-media card myself which has all the 8 channels out but this one I use as an external sound card for my condenser mic
    Last edited by masterpj; 03-05-2015 at 22:28.

Please tell me if I'm following this: you guys have a plan of using a Pi as a computer and an external soundcard for Pi as a DAC? That's pretty interesting.
    Though again I'd like to know how to connect a standalone scanner to the DAC.