Thread: 5m HL1606 Based LED Strip w/controller

Default 5m HL1606 Based LED Strip w/controller

I have a 5m (~15ft) strip of HL1606 RGB led strip, that I was planning to use for some lighting effects. I got it working under Arduino control, but I found that you can't really control each element individually as the manufactures would make you think, its more of you can turn each of the 3 LED's on or off, and then dim the entire strip, which allows for odd fades and whatnot but true individual led control.

Regardless, you get the strip, controller, remote control (needs a 12v lighter battery), and 2 power bricks to power the system. This strip is super bright, the pictures were taken with a flash!

Asking $200, open to offers or trades.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ledstrip.JPG  

ledstripsystem.JPG  

Default Effects

Can you do a video of some of the effects and patterns it can do?

Very nice! I did not think the strips would be controllable like that. I had planned to line the edges of the ceiling in a room with RGB LED strips, but perhaps now I need to rethink how I'm going to use them. I found the the same HL1606 flex LED strips for 109 bucks.

I have some of these strips without the weatherproofing. They can be driven using an arduino for full on/off (i.e. TTL in laser terms, 7 colors) control of long strips with discrete control of individual elements. For short strips (<30 LEDs) they can be driven with a pseudo-PWM signal for full color mixing of each element, but it starts to flicker once the strip gets longer since the HL1606 chips aren't really made for PWM control. The controller that comes with it can drive up to 2 full 5m strips if I recall, and has some decent patterns if you aren't into programming the strips.

Quote Originally Posted by ethan7557 View Post
    Very nice! I did not think the strips would be controllable like that. I had planned to line the edges of the ceiling in a room with RGB LED strips, but perhaps now I need to rethink how I'm going to use them. I found the the same HL1606 flex LED strips for 109 bucks.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-5050-RG...item589161fb2c
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

These strips do not have ICs in them for individual LED control. The controller has lines for R, G, and B intensity which controls all the lights together. The 1606 strip has lines for +V and G plus four lines for its pseudo-serial control. You have to have HL1606 or other controller chip in the strip to have individual LED control, and typically those strips are considerably more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by massivesound View Post
    These strips do not have ICs in them for individual LED control. The controller has lines for R, G, and B intensity which controls all the lights together. The 1606 strip has lines for +V and G plus four lines for its pseudo-serial control. You have to have HL1606 or other controller chip in the strip to have individual LED control, and typically those strips are considerably more expensive.
    No, that post was aimed at Ethan, he was looking for something to illuminate his living room
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.