Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of less than stellar audio quality during shows

Default Tired of less than stellar audio quality during shows

Look it has all been about the laser for 40 years and the audio has been set to the side. I think it is time we can load a multichannel dts or dsd file into our shows. You can do a lot with 5.1 audio these days and it is pretty common. I'd like to start making my shows have some depth in the audio area as well as the laser area. I wonder if pangolin can load a dts sound track or other format and just pass it on to a codec. IE it would not know the difference and just play it back like any other wav file. I tried just renaming the file extension but then the codec doesn't see it.

Very cool idea!!! I bet the magical minds at Pangolin can implement this in Beyond...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I have been planning for some time (and ImageLight knows this) to set up and test a simulated surround sound environment for playing laser shows in my venue to see how it works. I had one of the very first digital sound processors back in my audiophile days, the Yamaha DSP1, which did some really amazing stuff. It was designed for the home of course but, I want to try it in a 7000 square foot room with large speakers and see how it does. You had a huge amount of control over time delay and correction so, I think I could make it work for the laser show experience in a larger environment.

Oh, to have spare time!

finding audio tracks in multichannel formats (ehem, legally) is exceedingly difficult... looks at modified PS3 in the corner and stack of SACDs hehehe

but realistically most music is mastered for 2 channel anyway, not sure surround will really help much if anything unless you want to do a laser show to a movie, which would be cool... I've often thought about doing a lasershow to Tron Legacy... like the entire length of the movie just have the lasers come in when appropriate, would be pretty cool

I agree with Brad. You're better off faking it with a good pre-pro. I'm a die hard Meridian fan. Very spendy new, but built like a tank, and the older models are QUITE affordable now. Just my $.02

If you can find a 561 or 568, you can't go wrong. In fact, you'll probably end up using it in your home theater

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    I agree with Brad. You're better off faking it with a good pre-pro. I'm a die hard Meridian fan. Very spendy new, but built like a tank, and the older models are QUITE affordable now. Just my $.02

If you can find a 561 or 568, you can't go wrong. In fact, you'll probably end up using it in your home theater
    I have a Meridian DVD player that I use as a CD player and it does in fact sound lovely

A 596? I think they're the best bang for the buck even at 10+ years old. Just wish it was easy to do HDMI and other dig formats with them. I was lucky enough to acquire a 568mm.2/598DP combo which is (or at least was) the only system that could play back dvd-a completely in the digital domain through to the DACs in the speakers. Systems that were > $20k 10-15 years ago can be had at 90-95% off now.

yep, 596, bought it for $20 since the switching supply in it was dead, bought a similar one off ebay for like $40 and was good to go

it's an excellent player even if it doesn't do DVD-A/SACD

score!

fifteen!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Damn... now you've got me thinking about trying this out again. It was about a year ago I was going to find a day to set it up and test it and of course, life got in the way. I'm still trying to sort it out in my mind. I have 56 speakers in my venues sound system plus 3 subs. They're all build into the ceiling except 1 sub. What I was going to use for the left/right front and rear effects speakers are JBL JRX125's with a 4000 watt amp for the front and 4000 watt amp for the back. I'm thinking the house sound system becomes the main L/R and the center channel. I don't recall if the DSP1 had an output for a sub - I don't think so but, I could still make that work with the Mackie HD1801.