Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photino RGB

Default Photino RGB

I know this is a pointer, and not the type of thing that generally pops up in discussion here, but I thought you guys might be interested nonetheless It will eventually be enclosed with internal LiPo power, but while prototyping / testing, I'm keeping the driver and battery outside the casing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFD1...ature=youtu.be

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photino rgb.jpg  

That's really cool I like the case and the colors!! LiPo Power that seems pretty powerful for a laser! What's its output?

Quote Originally Posted by KANG View Post
    That's really cool I like the case and the colors!! LiPo Power that seems pretty powerful for a laser! What's its output?
    That protoype is 250mW G + 550mW R + 500mW B, minus losses, so maybe around 1W. It was just a rough bag of whatever diodes I had around and wasn't too concerned about losing.

Once I iron out the kinks, I'm going to do a second one with entirely single mode diodes, and lower power.

Lovely machining! Did you make those 3-axis mounts yourself too, or get them somewhere? If you got them somewhere I want to know where!

That's some beautiful craftsmanship!

How challenging is it to adjust those dichros? It doesn't appear that you have adequate clearance to get a standard hex tool in there (unless you chopped one down some).

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Tip of the hat for the machining.
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

thats so nice! .

Amazing work. love it!

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    Lovely machining! Did you make those 3-axis mounts yourself too, or get them somewhere? If you got them somewhere I want to know where!
    I designed them myself, and had them CNC'd.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    That's some beautiful craftsmanship!

How challenging is it to adjust those dichros? It doesn't appear that you have adequate clearance to get a standard hex tool in there (unless you chopped one down some).

David
    It's challenging. You have to use tweezers and relying on the knurling on the side of the head, rather than the hex interface itself. That said, it works, and the adjustments you're making are very tiny, so you don't even need a fantastic grip.

That said, one of the design elements I would change in the future would be to make the micro-dichros (that's what I'm calling them) a little bit thicker so that there's more thread inside. I'm finding that the prototype does come out of alignment, and I think it's because the threads slip. I may try aligning them, and then epoxying them in place (not sure about that yet).

Whats the thickness of your micro-mirror mount? and metric adjustment screws?
    I think with 5mm thick and M2 allen screws threads shouldn't slip. Taking into account spring is doing enough pull force