Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lasershark, a completely open-source low cost dual-laser 12bit USB laser DAC

Yes, it is still alive. It seems to attract more interest as an sla/sls 3d printer card vs. lasershow card. Many companies and universities have bought these too but haven't contributed any code back to my knowledge (a little disappointing). Speaking of this, based on some CRAZY questions I've gotten they're definitely not using them for 3d printers or lasershows.

So... could this card be used with BeamConstruct software? I don't see a technical reason why not. A driver would need to be made for the specific software. How this is achieved will be determined by the software's output; regardless the bulk transfer vs isochronous transfer mechanisms of the LaserShark should be used.

Dear Jeffrey,

May I ask you if the RGB version of the Lasershark is still in your project pipeline please ?

Thank you very much !

Have a great day

Hi Skappy,

It is still on my todo list but there are a few other projects I must take care of first (i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJdJHqc2F1E [no, this wasn't made for adult swim, that was just for my amusement while testing ]).

Aside from time, one of the other great delays in this project is figuring out what is "right" to make. I know the features I would want and use, but that doesn't mean they would work well for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by macpod View Post
    Many companies and universities have bought these too but haven't contributed any code back to my knowledge (a little disappointing).

So... could this card be used with BeamConstruct software? I don't see a technical reason why not.
    So...any chance to see you offering a LaserShark plug-in for BeamConstruct? Unfortunately my programming skills end with some Excel arithmetics, so I have no idea how complicated this could be.

May be these guys can help you, as far as I have seen they opened many (all?) of their source codes to the public.

The board and output look very clean! Watching with interest.
    This space for rent.

Did wicked lasers ever do anything with that laser dock thing and your DAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmi View Post
    So...any chance to see you offering a LaserShark plug-in for BeamConstruct? Unfortunately my programming skills end with some Excel arithmetics, so I have no idea how complicated this could be.

May be these guys can help you, as far as I have seen they opened many (all?) of their source codes to the public.
    Elmi, did you also email me about this in the past few days or was this someone else?

If I develop software for free it is because I am enhancing a piece of software I use/appreciate or because the subject is a personal interest of mine. Laser engraving is an interest of mine however I don't have the hardware to do this. Consequently my motivation to write a plug-in for this software is pretty low. I have a laundry list of things I need to code for personal projects as it is and I have to prioritize somehow

Having said this, if HALaser Systems plans to add support and runs into issues, I will be happy to answer their questions.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Did wicked lasers ever do anything with that laser dock thing and your DAC?
    You would have to to contact them to determine the status of that project. They did contact me a while back and were a pleasant group of folks to chat with.

Elmi, did you also email me about this in the past few days or was this someone else?
    That was not me, I contacted you only here...

my motivation to write a plug-in for this software is pretty low.

Having said this, if HALaser Systems plans to add support and runs into issues, I will be happy to answer their questions.
    So I afraid it will not happen. I already asked them and they told me they would have to spend too much time with your interface and software packaging, so too much efforts for too less results for them...

Quote Originally Posted by Elmi View Post
    That was not me, I contacted you only here...

So I afraid it will not happen. I already asked them and they told me they would have to spend too much time with your interface and software packaging, so too much efforts for too less results for them...
    As their "about this company" page indicates, the reason they are able to offer their software as open source is because their business model focuses around custom software development and services. They wouldn't be a particularly successful company if they performed custom development for free so it is not surprising they politely declined your request.

So that's the downside for you. On the upside both the LaserShark software and HALaser stuff is open source so you at least have the ability to try writing this yourself

I am also interested in the use of this card for marking with co2 laser. BeamConstruct seems like a good software for this. I think the plugin for BeamConstruct will make your board much more attractive. Can you write a plugin for money? How much it might cost? As hardware You can use the same projector. For marking need only one additional output for the pointer.