Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is this made?

Default How is this made?

This hologram just popped up on my facebook from Eric Prydz on madison square garden.
    Looks awesome but how is this possible?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

these "holograms" are always either video projection on scrim or pepper's ghost illusions. nothing at all to do with holograms.

Quote Originally Posted by db3306 View Post
    This hologram just popped up on my facebook from Eric Prydz on madison square garden.
    Looks awesome but how is this possible?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

do you know if its layers of scrim material or a transparent tube with scrim?
    2x 1W RGB(DT40 PRO)
    1x 4W RGB, Full diode (DT40 WIDE)
    2x 1W, 532nm(DT40 WIDE)
    1x ALC68 ArgonGasser with 8ch, PCAOM
    5xFB3SE, BEYOND

In progress, 2x 2,5w RGB

They used LED curtains. They had lasers and other projectors used at same time. Notice you see no beams in the haze for the holograms. LED curtain. They actually talked about it on one of the other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by drm916 View Post
    They used LED curtains. They had lasers and other projectors used at same time. Notice you see no beams in the haze for the holograms. LED curtain. They actually talked about it on one of the other forums.
    I am surprised. I would have guessed projection onto a scrim. LED curtains generally look "pixely" both when on and off. This video appears to obscure the view of the dj (artist?) only slightly while producing video that looks like it came from an HD projector. Did the other forum reference what hardware was used?

In this example, the screen is obviously front of him. If you can get such good results with a LED curtain, then you could add a second screen behind the artist so you could enhance the 3D effect.

All of this makes me want to sign up for some of the projection and new technology sessions at the coming LDI conference in Las Vegas.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

from: http://www.dancingastronaut.com/2014...mance/slide/2/

PROJECTION MAPPING DONE RIGHT
    Most live shows hype up their production as being “revolutionary” when in reality its just the same old shit, different DJ. For EPIC 3.0 however things were noticeably ambitious. A thin screen encased the stage in front of Prydz, providing for a truly 3D experience as images were mapped and interacting in front of and behind him as he spun. This is what a 4K hologram looks like and damn it looks good.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Im a very close friends with the founder of Musion Eyeliner ( Uwe Maass )
    Last small gig I did for him in Dubai

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5172.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	44922

Name:	IMG_5175.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	44923
    Philipp Wetter

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    from: http://www.dancingastronaut.com/2014...mance/slide/2/

. .providing for a truly 3D experience as images were mapped and interacting in front of and behind him as he spun. This is what a 4K hologram looks like and damn it looks good.
    The effect was really well done, but the marketing hype gets me. This WASN'T a hologram. This WASN'T 3D, it was projected onto a single screen. That isn't even projection mapping. Its was some great content projected using what appeared 3 or more high-end projectors.

Just ranting, of course. Speaking of rants, what's with these kids that go and actually WATCH a dj? A dj! (AKA A single person on stage who doesn't even play an instrument, sing or dance). Yet somehow Gen Y+ decided its worth watching one person play integrated clips of computer generated sound effects along with other people's (usually uninspired) music. Geez, I must be getting old. . . :0

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 10-03-2014 at 07:50. Reason: Qualified my dj rant somewhat
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

That wasn't around him. I can see that the projection is in front of him.
    Just plain marketing hype.

Quote Originally Posted by JRGixxerfreaK1 View Post
    Im a very close friends with the founder of Musion Eyeliner ( Uwe Maass )
    Last small gig I did for him in Dubai

Name:	IMG_5172.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	44922

Name:	IMG_5175.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	44923
    I wish you'd call your friend at Musion and ask him to stop fraudulently using the words "hologram" and "holographic" to describe what that company sells.