Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GoldenStar RGB 3watts

Default GoldenStar RGB 3watts

Rant being quantified...
    Last edited by laserLips; 04-04-2014 at 04:32.

I really think you need to quantify your rant a little bit, particularly by telling us which projector you actually own.
    Goldenstar have products for lots of different pockets, and the quality will naturally vary, depending on how much you pay. They are really only the 'sum of the parts', so it would be useful to know which parts you actually have.

Which modules does it use?

I think we had some dialogue about your laser previously didn't we, I'll see if I can dig that thread up as it held quite a lot of info about your projector.

edit: here it is, although a quick read reveals we didn't really get down to the bare details. I think we did establish that your projector may be a bit under spec for the outdoor space, and that the red may be a cheaper un-corrected module, so not really getting the full impact of 0.5W of 637

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...d-The-new-Blue

Doing the sums quickly:
    DT40's - ~$500
    Case - ~$200
    1W 532 - ~$600

So that leaves about $900 for 1.5W 445 and 500mW of 637, plus the various interface boards, dichros, mounts, etc
    Last edited by norty303; 04-04-2014 at 04:46.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I have purchased 2 X N-RGB3000s, and they are great! The laser-wave modules make nice beams, the DT40-Pros are on point, and the construction is beautiful.

So here are the problems with my N-RGB3W Laser from goldenstar.

1) The scanners are not scanning properly. Instead of a square it
    was scanning a moving squiggly line. Instead of dots it was scanning
    lines. It scanned correctly for 20 seconds and then scans rubbish.
    Winni sent me replacement scanners but the X control board does not
    have enough pins outs (the power 15v) so I can not connect the new
    board. I did put the scanners (X,Y) and the new Y board in but the
    same problems exists with the scanning.

2) When I turn the laser on WITH the ILDA cable connected the laser
    shows nothing which is expected, but every 40 seconds or so the laser
    will scan the built in frames for about half a second.
    When QuickShow is running the laser displays what QuickShow is telling
    it to but then every 40 seconds or so the laser displays one of the
    built in images.

3) I can't scan at 30K even though the scanners are DT40k

Even before the issues above, the scanners would run for a a few minutes and then scan absolute rubbish.
    I had to turn them down to 20K to get them to scan correctly.

I don't have the videos I sent because it was on the laptop I use in India and I used a web hosting service to send it.

I sent videos to Winni and then she sent me new scanners.

They were good enough to send replacements but it still didn't solve either problem.
    So I'm pretty gutted I spent over £2,000 on it.
    It begs the question, are these lasers good enough for professional use and not just bedroom or the occasional gig?

Graham

Sounds like there is still a defective part in your projector. Maybe the show board, the ilda board or a loose connection somewhere.

From what I have seen the Goldenstar projectors are nice projectors. Seems like you just got unlucky with a gremlin in your projector that needs to be tracked down. I am sorry to hear about your bad luck. I am sure goldenstar will continue to help you diagnose it until its resolved.

Keep us posted of your updates. I am curious to see how they help you fix it.

I will keep this thread up to date.
    I hope that the new guy John at GS is as helpful as Winni.
    It's going to be tricky to fix if it's one of the things you mentioned.

There are at least three boards (excluding scanner boards) in the below section I could see.

The very reason I got this laser is so that I wouldn't' have to tinker with it. I'm crap at this sort of thing. I built my own laser years ago and those here that remember it can testify it was like a coffin for a 6 foot person. This really isn't my bag and I'm not good at it.

Also, the laser is still in India. I don't got back until November. I didn't want to bring it back to the UK and then have to sneak it back into India. Customs there are horrendous.

I'm so frustrated. I waited ages to save up enough money for it. And the problems it exhibits I find I can do hardly anything about. Gutted!

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by laserLips View Post
    I will keep this thread up to date.
    I hope that the new guy John at GS is as helpful as Winni.
    It's going to be tricky to fix if it's one of the things you mentioned.

There are at least three boards (excluding scanner boards) in the below section I could see.

The very reason I got this laser is so that I wouldn't' have to tinker with it. I'm crap at this sort of thing. I built my own laser years ago and those here that remember it can testify it was like a coffin for a 6 foot person. This really isn't my bag and I'm not good at it.

Also, the laser is still in India. I don't got back until November. I didn't want to bring it back to the UK and then have to sneak it back into India. Customs there are horrendous.

I'm so frustrated. I waited ages to save up enough money for it. And the problems it exhibits I find I can do hardly anything about. Gutted!

Graham
    I can understand your frustration. Hopefully they can get you all taken care of quickly.

Hey Graham,

Can you post some pictures of the inside of the projector & the patterns it is projecting? I have 2 of those projectors in the smaller cases, and I had problems with the scanners in one of them. Rather than getting them warrantied, I replaced the DT40 pros with 506s (it saved me the hassle of shipping the projector back & forth to China), so i am pretty familiar with the internal workings of this particular model.

Graham;

I suggest you send an e-mail to mimi@goldenstarlaser.com. Mimi is the OWNER of the company. If anyone can get you a fast answer, she can.

Adam

We had an issue with one of the N-RGB 4Watt lasers from golden star, and rather than mess with figuring it out myself, which I could very easily do; we sent it back for repair. Just got it back working perfectly, so rather than try to fix it yourself, pay the money and ship it back and have them fix it. The money you will spend on shipping will be worth the back and forth hassle of not getting the right thing fixed. (Although I do know why your projector keeps switching to the internal control, you just need to set the back LCD panel to run of ILDA input, not internal.)