Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ILDA / remote kill switch cable length recommendations...?

Question ILDA / remote kill switch cable length recommendations...?

Since I'm getting close to building connector cables for my RGB rig, I was wondering what cable lengths folks here are using between their computers / remote kill switch boxes and their projectors?

I probably don't need any "arena"-length cables; just something that would be generally adequate for home, small venues, and of course, SELEM & (eventually) FLEM gatherings!

Thanks!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hi Randy

If you're using the QM2000.Net box why don't you use the spare pair in the Cat 5 cable as i've done. You just need a couple of splitter boxes so you can couple in your E-Stop button at one end and the plug to complete the circuit at the projector end.

I have a 100mtr roll of Cat 5 that I use and it works absolutely fine. I also have shorter lengths to use in small venues.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hmmm...definitely a good idea for limiting the number of cables required!
    Thanks for the idea!

BTW - Which pair is unused in a CAT-5 ethernet connection?

I'd still like to incorporate an option for a separate cable run to my remote kill switch. I would like to keep the ILDA connections as "Standard" as possible, in case I need to use the projector with something other than my QM2000.net.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Lightbulb

I think the orange/orange white and green/green white pairs are the ones used... Those are the two pairs you swap to make a cross over cable. All the others should be unused.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Hmmm...definitely a good idea for limiting the number of cables required!
    Thanks for the idea!
    No problem

BTW - Which pair is unused in a CAT-5 ethernet connection?
    Err... The ones that aren't being used by the QM2k No, Basically I haven't a ******* clue My mate Craig (aka Wiring Monkey) sorted this out for me. I'm a complete numpty when it comes to electrickery

I'd still like to incorporate an option for a separate cable run to my remote kill switch. I would like to keep the ILDA connections as "Standard" as possible, in case I need to use the projector with something other than my QM2000.net.
    Yes, I still have that option. I have a 'standard' Estop button wired to a three pin XLR connector that can plug straight into the back of the projector. The Cat 5 splitters are fitted with male/female connectors so that everything is interchangeable.

If you don't get what i'm trying to convey just let me know and i'll take some photo's.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I think the orange/orange white and green/green white pairs are the ones used... Those are the two pairs you swap to make a cross over cable. All the others should be unused.
    Cool - been a while since I've built any crossover cables!!
    (gotta' luv those auto-sensing ethernet ports!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post

Yes, I still have that option. I have a 'standard' Estop button wired to a three pin XLR connector that can plug straight into the back of the projector. The Cat 5 splitters are fitted with male/female connectors so that everything is interchangeable.

If you don't get what i'm trying to convey just let me know and i'll take some photo's.

Cheers

Jem
    Good ideas!

I already have the hardware I'll need to build everything; I'm just wondering more about the cable lengths most folks are running. I figure 25' leads would be good for home use; the real question is what would be good lengths for venues (SELEM, FLEM, etc.) without going overboard! I was only about 4 feet away from my "projector" at SELEM this year, but I figure that won't happen often!!
    RR

Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I already have the hardware I'll need to build everything; I'm just wondering more about the cable lengths most folks are running. I figure 25' leads would be good for home use; the real question is what would be good lengths for venues (SELEM, FLEM, etc.) without going overboard! I was only about 4 feet away from my "projector" at SELEM this year, but I figure that won't happen often!!

I have approximately 20 foot of cable permenantly attached to my Estop terminating with a male XLR plug. This male XLR is able to plug straight into the female XLR socket on the back of my projector - OR - I can plug it into my CAT 5 splitter box near to my control gear and then use pretty much any length of CAT 5 to the other splitter box near my projector. There is a lead from this splitter box that terminates in a male XLR which plugs into the back of my projector. The other cable from the splitter plugs into my computer's ethernet port and the QM2k respectively.

If i'm using the projector at home i'll either use just the Estop with the fixed cable or perhaps just use a fairly short ethernet cable. This really does seem to be the most versatile way to do this

Note: I have a key operated Estop button similar to RGB's but mine cannot be reset without the key.

Jem

Thanks, Jem (and Allthat & RGB)!
    RR

Sweet.....

hey randy-

just my 2 cents...

Seeing that you are looking to the future when you do this as a show provider, i would say make the cord approx, 75-100 feet. again, just my 2 cents. you will prob NEVER need more than that at a show, however you will most likely ALWAYS need more than 5-10 feet. and youre gonna kick yourself in your ass-tush if you get to a venue and realize SH*T, i dont have enough E-stop/shutter cable.

(ill take pics tomorow--) BUT.

i have my broeakout box wired so that on the outside i have just 2 simple RCA cable jacks, and on the laser end i have a 1/4" input wired to the shutter loop (actually, intrl loop i think. doesnt really matter). and then i have 2 sets of cables. 1 is ~25-35 feet. the other is about 65-75 feet. i have each end of those wired accordingly (1 end the RCS jacks. the other end is the 1/4" plug). theni just use the approriate cable length. VERY VERY seldom do i use the longer one. i think MAYBE 5 times in the past year. it is good to have though in my opinion.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems