Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow motors for lumia

Default slow motors for lumia

so I've been playing with some wheels and currently running some 1RPM 12v motors at 5v and even then I feel like the wheels are going too fast... anyone tried clock/timer motors? I have seen some as slow as 1 revolution per day along with several synchronous/timer motors between 1-5 revolutions per hour etc but I have no idea if their motion will be smooth enough to make a good effect?

I would also say that 1 RPM is a little too fast, especially if you're going to use two in an "egg-beater" fashion. I am using these and controlling the speed with a PWM LED dimmer. I can get them to about 0.2 RPM. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171020215599...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT So far, I love these things. Nice a quiet too. They sell slower ones (I think) but I want to be able to vary the speed based on the show I am running the lumia to. Plus, I can cue them up via DMX with the LED dimmer.

Please forgive the "errs" and "umms". I don't do well without a script!

Last edited by absolom7691; 12-02-2014 at 03:53.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I use the same motors from FleaBay and can also say I have found them really reliable and low noise. I have had one running in an install in a museum/auction house for the last 10 months, no problems at all.

Cheers

Steve

I have in stock 1/3rpm AC motors-$6.99 plus ship- the source of these is currently out of stock-- (Surplus Shed)
    I have lots of Glass- 'torture tubes' from VERY tiny to about 1X3 inch and some in between and 5 styles of flat textured glass & can cut round pieces to your spec.--PM me.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I would also say that 1 RPM is a little too fast, especially if you're going to use two in an "egg-beater" fashion. I am using these and controlling the speed with a PWM LED dimmer. I can get them to about 0.2 RPM. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171020215599...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT So far, I love these things. Nice a quiet too. They sell slower ones (I think) but I want to be able to vary the speed based on the show I am running the lumia to. Plus, I can cue them up via DMX with the LED dimmer.
    Which PWM LED dimmer board are you using?
    Northlight Systems, by chance?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

the speed and control is awesome. it's too bad the kit is so giant.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post

Please forgive the "errs" and "umms". I don't do well without a script!

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Which PWM LED dimmer board are you using?
    Northlight Systems, by chance?
    Not sure whose board this is. I picked it up on eBay a few years ago for $25 from a seller in Russia. I had completely different plans for it but now it is for controlling my lumia motors. The solder mask on the side says SLPro V2.2.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Those look really neat--do you see much advantage in being able to reverse direction?? AC means not portable but I can get 4 of mine for that price so...
    quite- .. they do get quite warm but left one running for 4 days with no problems. Can you post pics of how you attach the shaft to the glass please.

The shaft looks like standard size for 'knobs'.... like a radio etc---- round w/ a flat part. Perfect for use of set screw??
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-