Thread: PBS questions

Default PBS questions

Alright i have 2 650nm id like to conbine i got the PBS and each laser is 1watt however the are polarized 50 to 1. is this going to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnb View Post
    Alright i have 2 650nm id like to conbine i got the PBS and each laser is 1watt however the are polarized 50 to 1. is this going to work?
    well if i understand your plight correctly...if a laser has a polarization ratio of 100 : 1 that means that there is 100 times more light in one polarization than in the other one (100% TO 1%). since PBS cubes are "polarization sensitive" i would assume you will get poor performance using a PBS cube with a laser with an extinction ratio of 50:1, so I would assume you will get approximately half of the combining efficiency as a laser polarized 100:1.

feel free to jump in and correct me...but that makes sense to me
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

shawn-

yeah, your 2 650's sound to me like they are already internally pbs'd. If this is the case than you can not PBS them again. (50:1 prob mean 50 H and 50 V)

no workie workie

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    shawn-

yeah, your 2 650's sound to me like they are already internally pbs'd. If this is the case than you can not PBS them again. (50:1 prob mean 50 H and 50 V)

no workie workie

-Marc
    *DING* lightbulb goes off in laserman532's head...i didnt even think that they might be internally PBS's...DUUUUHHHHH makes perfect sense to me...now...thanks marc
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

well then knife edge they will be ugh messy beams that will be but what i got to work with for now concidering i got 2 1 watt 650 for FREE thats a MAGIC # for me lol. now i got to figure this out where to begin where to begin and how to do this

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    makes perfect sense to me...n
    ...50:1 means that the laser is linearly polarized, to a good approximation - namely the "wrong" polarization is 1/50th of the desired one, or 2%.

FREE?!?!? yeah...make it work!!! lol

knife edging will work. then PBS and telescope the final beam. Youy can get a "workable" beam from them. not going to fit on any standard scanner mirrors, but with 2W, losing a little bit i guess is ok. pop the heads open. lets see what we're dealing with.

remember, if they are *internally* pbs'd diodes, even knife edging isnt going to help. you will have no way of PBS'ing the final output beam. You will probably need to remove the diodes and knife edge each diode *individually* then combone via PBS. The exact same way we are all doing the 445's now.

@pat-

all good man. you cant know absolutely *everything* right? so i guess the score is: Pat- 3478576 to Marc- 1.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    *DING* lightbulb goes off in laserman532's head...i didnt even think that they might be internally PBS's...DUUUUHHHHH makes perfect sense to me...now...thanks marc
    wouldn't that be 50:50 polarization?

yeah that would be 50:50..

50:1 just means the polarization isn't that great. Should be able to use a PBS, might loose a little bit tho
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/