Thread: Knife Edge Mirror Mounts

Default Knife Edge Mirror Mounts

Is any one aware of a good source of extra-fine thread set or cap head screws. The small 12x12x12mm cubes I am fabricating into knife edge mirror mounts have a pretty small lever arm and even with maxed out spacing of the 3x0.5mm set screws the best I can do is .5mrad pointing and that's with a very genital touch. That level of pointing is comparable to the beam divergence and so contributes significantly to the combined beam size. The super fine thread steel/brass inserts are too big ( and probably too expensive ). A little larger dia. and/or a little finer pitch is all I'm looking for. The few older Edmond Tech Spec value style mounts I own have these 0.25mm-0.5mm pitch approx. 8mm dia. screws directly threaded into the aluminum mount. That is close to what I'm looking for. Extra-fine taps wouldn't hurt either.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Thorlabs or Small Parts Inc.

Steve

m2 fine has a thread pitch of .25mm

Edit: A 'genital touch' might make you feel better but it won't help your beam alignment
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    m2 fine has a thread pitch of .25mm

Edit: A 'genital touch' might make you feel better but it won't help your beam alignment
    it all depends what beam your aligning !
    This space for rent.

Try to locate one of these taps....warning ! not for the unsteady hand ! http://ksmetals.com/accessories.html

I have some other sources for different taps if you need them ... I had a #4-80 but I can't locate it....guy in Greensboro has all kinds of taps and dies....only the real strange stuff though.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Thorlabs is it. They have a good range and the associated taps. Not cheap,but then they are kinda high on their lenses too. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    it all depends what beam your aligning o_o!
    rofl