Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and helples

Default New and helples

Hi Guys,

I am new to lasers but would like to start by building a nice projector to do animations. I have some questions:

1. i am looking at a 1W system. I like to use CNI lasers, but which which type and size, I want the system to RGB.
    2. I am in Alpharetta, GA (north of Atlanta), any members from around here?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Welcome to PL.
    I notice that you didn't mention prices.
    Is money no object cus that will have a bearing on where you are pointed.

Default New Project

At this point I have no idea. I am willing to go up to $5000.00.

Hello forushani, welcome to PL. There's actually a few members around Georgia, and even a couple in Atlanta. If you're really planning on getting into lasers, you may want to check out FLEM, which will be held in Orlando, FL on November 8th. FLEM is a gathering of many like minded folks, mostly hobbiest with some professionals, and is certainly a great place to learn and have fun.

edit- Here's a link to the FLEM thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5400

i agree FLEM would be an AWESOME starting point! you would get to check out all different lasser setups and decide what you like the most!

you could see pretty much every combination of brands and software and see how people chose to layout their lasers.

you could also ask millions of questions that could be answered right on the spot!

i would say if you wanna get serious about lasers go to FLEM!
    -Josh

QUITE a few members from your area here on the forum! im sure they will be chiming in very shortly.

should DEFINITELY try and get to FLEM. it is going to be Laser Heaven!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by forushani View Post
    At this point I have no idea. I am willing to go up to $5000.00.
    Hello Forushani;

Welcome to PhotonLexicon. I think you'll find there's lots of laser enthusiasts in your area. (In fact, our host [Spec, aka Admin] is located just outside of Atlanta.) I'm sure you'll be able to get lots of help with your project.

I would like to reinterate the suggestion that others have already mentioned above: Namely, for you to attend the next Laser Enthusiast's Meeting, which is scheduled for Saturday, November 8th in Orlando Florida. We'll have several RGB projectors set up, and will have a few special guests in attendance as well. It's a great way to meet a bunch of very cool people, watch some awesome laser shows, and get your hands on some of the software that we use.

With a budget like that, you can build *quite* the impressive projector. There are a few different ways you can go about it, however, and the best way to decide is to be able to look at how other projectors are constructed and talk with the people that built them. You'll be able to do all that at FLEM. (And besides, it's free!)

Adam

Default Projector

I appreciate all the responses. Thanks

Can someone send me the address for FLEM please?

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    the best way to decide is to be able to look at how other projectors are constructed and talk with the people that built them. You'll be able to do all that at FLEM. (And besides, it's free!)

Adam
    Yeah and while he is doing that.. please have a MIC and camera present for the next LEM dvd :-)
    Tech stuf!!! yo!!!!! :-)

welcome forushani...
    This is a nice forum with alot of knowledge present.
    Just beware of the NUTCASE on this forum :-)

Quote Originally Posted by forushani View Post
    I appreciate all the responses. Thanks

Can someone send me the address for FLEM please?
    PM Buffo (Adam) -

I'm sure he'll be glad to send all the details!

As others have implied, making it to one of these meets prior to beginning the construction of your projector will be worth every penny it takes to get there!

In my case, I hooked up with Buffo and DreamBeamz at a club gig when I first got started, and was able to learn at least enough to get pointed in the right direction (the club scene is NOT a really good Q & A environment, but the scenery was nice ). Almost a year later, I attended my first SELEM meet, and even though I had a working "projector" of sorts, I came away from the event with TONS of additional ideas on how to complete my first project! Plus, you'll have the opportunity to meet the faces behind many of the names on this forum - including some of the top folks in the industry! - and get the chance to find out what a cool bunch of folks most of these these "laser geeks" really are!
    Last edited by Stuka; 10-23-2008 at 10:22.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....