Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser keeps me awake most of the night

Default Laser keeps me awake most of the night

I just had to post about this - I got virtually no sleep last night as my mind was racing with ideas and excitement.
    On Saturday I ripped up the optical platform of my little projector - the RGY one with the pan and tilt head - to refit it all with existing red & green plus the blue I bought off Fluff and had at the meet with me. I reasonably quickly worked out the best layout and have spent all my spare time since drilling milling tapping sawing etc making the parts to put it all together. Last night i roughly aligned it holding the optics in place with blu tak! and was amazed at how good an alignment I got and was blown away by the resulting scans - its fcuking awesome!
    I still have a lot to do - build some electronics and find somewhere to put them, source and fit an additional 5v PSU for the blue (though I may have this sussed) finish off the new magnetic adjustable mounts -and build at least 2 more, convert the blue to analogue blanking...the list goes on but in the end im gonna have a >500mw RGB with analogue blanking, CT6800's a pan and tilt DMX controlled head all in a case that is 420mmx150mmx140mm - I tell you what too its gonna be a heavy little mutha. So this is why I couldnt sleep - bloody Lasers

anyway here are a couple of taster shots. In the first showing the layout the green is not screwed down - havent even drill holes yet, the mounts are all held in place with blu tak and adjustment was done by turning and squeezing till it was there or thereabouts.

Cant wait til its finished - but then what will I do with all the time on my hands.....

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rgb1.jpg  

rgb2.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thumbs up

NICE... layout and colors! I too have had a night or two where I couldn't sleep because I was going to put something together that involved lasers. Only other thing to do that is the motorcycle...

Keep the photos coming. How do you plan on making your blue analog?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Looks fantastic! It was impressive as an RGY - looking forward to seeing the RGB in full effect in Jan/Feb's UKLEM.

If only I had a pound for every hour I lay awake thinking of how to overcome laser engineering problems...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    If only I had a pound for every hour I lay awake thinking of how to overcome laser engineering problems...
    You'd be a fat fucker huh? O... you mean currency...

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    You'd be a fat fucker huh? O... you mean currency...
    Indeed... LOL

You'd be a fat fucker huh?
    You know P1t8ull then

sorry Simon I couldnt resist

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

How do you plan on making your blue analog?
    The driver card has an almost identical circuit on it to the one on the CNI green that I am using. I have already converted this to analogue but have a slightly more refined circuit with threshold set point and max set point pots in the offing. A version of this circuit is already running the twin reds in this project. I will publish full details when I post the build pix when the thing is done. Just got in and im itching to get into the garage and make some more bits

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    You know P1t8ull then

sorry Simon I couldnt resist

Rob
    Guilty as charged

Hi Rob...

Looks real good.. I like the idea of the blue tack. I'll set my lasers up using that high tech approach to have a play it beats the heck out of using little sticks and wedges.

A question if I may, (as a newbie) I notice having made up your white beam you then turn it at right angles with what I assume is a mirror.
    I have seen on here on several posts where everyone seems to want to get every bit of loss out of their system does a mirror not introduce any loss ??

I notice that the blue is passing through two Dichros does that add losses ??

Please , I am not being critical I am just trying to learn as I am starting to build my own RGB now and at the cost of blue and red minimising losses can be a big thing (so I am told).

Anyway it looks great...I'm off to try the Blue Tack thing.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

Really awesome results, stanwax.
    I have just a question ( a rookie question... ) In the first picture I see that a quite bright blue beam is reflected out from the first dichro. Considering that usually blue is the most "precious" to get, have you tried to reverse the optic to have the blue reflected on first surface and the red filtered thru the dichros? (I have no experience on that, so do not take it as a critic at all, the second picture just speaks by itself.... it is sooo beautiful...)

Luciano, Italy