Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: New Pangolin shows on the FTP server

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    i'm going to read the etiquette post again before i go out and FLIP again.
    j#sus chr#st!!!!!!!!!! i'm getting so tired !!!!
    Think happy thoughts - VERY soon you'll have the gear you need to play and edit all those shows you've been downloading!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

hahahahahahahaha!
    Topic: New Pangolin shows on the FTP server
    NOT about the Format 3!!!

GET OVER IT James Lehman

NOTE
    Please dont use the IE ftp client and in the same time log in to server with an ftp client like flashfxp, bulletproof ftp client or whatever ftp clien etc... The FTP server will log this as 2 clients and the last one will be disconnected. Also when hammering the server, you will be blocked for 300 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    I just want the ILDA file format to REALLY make sense and WORK for EVERYONE!
    Let me ask you something James. As Patrick and I have discussed this recently, and so has others on the Tech Committee, it seems to us that Format 4 really conveys all of the information that any previous format or combination of formats would convey. So it seems that this single format really does everything. If you pretend Format 0, 1, 2, 3 and 5 had ever been invented, isn't it true that Format 4 is a total solution?

(oops, to keep this thread from getting further off topic, maybe start another topic, or answer privately...)

It sucks when politics and egos get in the way of rational thinking.
    Hehe. I agree! Welcome to "things done by committee"!

Your passion about Format 3 is a bit higher than my passion for the old ILDA Test Pattern. During the "development", there was a person on the committee who insisted that the five little lines near the bottom be put in, or else he would "leave" (or some such nonsense). The five lines were put in... So, then years later the very person who insisted that they put in, asked the question why they were there!! He had forgotten... So the committee bent over backwards to satisfy this one guy's ego, who didn't even have a point worth remembering himself. Amazing...

In committees, there are lots of egos. Pretty much that's the problem. As a result, compromises are always made. In my opinion, lots of the compromises are for the worst. This is also the case with SCSI and ATAPI (both of which I had involvement with). DMX-512 also has compromises, some of which "for the worst", because DMX-512 was done "by committee", and, like SCSI, ATAPI and the ILDA format, DMX-512 took years...

That's one of the reasons why we develop our own file formats at Pangolin. We can develop a file format in 1 day that is better than ILDA has spent years on.

I have come to the realization that there are probably many, many reasons why the ILDA format is the way it is.
    It's because there were many, many people on the committee, and thus, many, many egos to stroke.

Your argument about why Format 3 is different from the other formats was also my own argument. It was allowed to be different because of the ego of one person (not me). I fought the difference all the way, but also fought Format 3 to begin with.

Dispensing with Format 3 has let ILDA dispense with the one format that was different from all the rest, and dispense with the legacy of one person's ego (who isn't even in the industry any more anyway...).

Sometimes I feel like I'm yelling at the fire for burning down my house. Rather pointless, I guess.
    Yes, well, it is like yelling at the government. For the most part, it does nothing. The ILDA formats were made by "government" (the committee), not just a single person. That's actually part of the problem...

Can we just get over all that crap and see it for pure computer science and math?
    Yes, well I would like nothing more. And while we're discussing just computer science and math, lets dispense with the flaming and use of foul language as well.

Actually you're all MORE than generally alright.
    Thanks for the kudos, but I make mistakes just like everyone else, and also get caught-up in the BS sometimes too...

Bill
    Last edited by Pangolin; 10-30-2008 at 16:11.

Getting back on track -

We haven't had any new shows posted in several days now..going through withdrawal here...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Cool

Hey, looks like a *lot* of files were deleted from the FTP server...

Ok - maybe it was a mistake, but maybe it was some griefer trying to mess things up for the rest of us. No matter though. Cruch has changed the way the permissions are set up on the FTP server. Now you *can't* delete a file, even if you were the one that uploaded it. Only Cruch has the power to delete stuff. (And really, I think that's the way it should be.)

I'll get all my stuff uploaded again tonight; all the new Pangolin shows plus the shows I've done. I've got some ILDA files to put up as well. Can someone upload the Rupert Morse shows? I think they all got nuked as well.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hey, looks like a *lot* of files were deleted from the FTP server...

Ok - maybe it was a mistake, but maybe it was some griefer trying to mess things up for the rest of us. No matter though. Cruch has changed the way the permissions are set up on the FTP server. Now you *can't* delete a file, even if you were the one that uploaded it. Only Cruch has the power to delete stuff. (And really, I think that's the way it should be.)

I'll get all my stuff uploaded again tonight; all the new Pangolin shows plus the shows I've done. I've got some ILDA files to put up as well. Can someone upload the Rupert Morse shows? I think they all got nuked as well.

Adam
    I will try to put my complete backup on the server.

I will put everything in a ANTHONY folder.
    If cruch can sort the folder out and delete redundant content.

server hangs after uploading 3,2 Gigs of data..
    All the ILDA files are back but the mamba and Pnago shows are PENDING waiting for the connection to return.

Ok people,

The 6.9 Gigs of data finished uploading.
    Cruch has asked me to help organise the PL ILDASWAP server and has granted me an account to do so.

Some of the content wil be moved and catagorised
    We will try to do this propperly.
    I you have any problems...please let us know.