Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you prefer to exchange... or refund?

Question Would you prefer to exchange... or refund?

Hypothetical situation.

You sell lasers, CNI. You sold a 100mW TTL 473nm to a customer and it is not producing 100mW, more like 70, 80 on a very good day. You agree to an RMA for refund or replacement. The buyer would like your opinion as to what you would prefer. The buyer advises you that he can get a 20k analog 70mW for the same price somewhere else and may want a refund to purchase that, but if you had a similar 70mW analog he would gladly take that. You do have a 70mw analog, 10k, and do not have a 100mW TTL for replacement.

My question, would you, (1) feel it was worth exchanging the 10k, 70mW analog for the RMA'd 100mW TTL? Or, as a seller, would you (2) prefer to refund the price of the 100mW and have them buy a laser somewhere else?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Cool

I'd say that the buyer is foolish for asking the seller what he wants. Who cares what the seller WANTS? As far as the buyer is concerned, the only thing that matters is what the seller is willing to agree to.

If the seller agreed to do a refund, then the buyer should take it. That's really all the seller is obligated to do in this situation. If the seller ALSO agreed to swap the laser for one that has analog blanking instead, that's great. It's above and beyond what he would be required to do, however. And if he *is* willing to do that, then the buyer has a choice to make. (Considering such things as, it it worth it to make the swap for a laser that has slower blanking response than other lasers in this price range, what sort of warranty does the new laser come with, and does the buyer really trust the seller now that he's already sent one laser that was bad.?.) Personally, I think I would take the money and buy somewhere else, but that's just me.

But in either case, the *seller's* opinion is irrelevant. Why on earth would the buyer ever ask for the seller's opinion? It has no bearing on the decision, unless the buyer and seller are *really* good friends to start with. (And plan on staying good friends afterwards.)

Now, if the seller is only offering a cash refund, and doesn't want to let go of the analog blanking laser (presumably because he has more money tied up in that one than in the TTL laser and doesn't want to loose out on a possible future sale), then the buyer has only 1 option... Take the money for the refund and buy another laser somewhere else. End of discussion.

But no matter what, the buyer should be able to make up his mind right away when the choices are offered. After all, the buyer should already know what he wants. (Which is why asking for the seller's opinion is foolish; who cares about his opinion if your own mind is already made up?)

On the other hand, if the buyer is waffling, that suggests that the problem isn't with the laser itself, but rather that the buyer is suffering from "buyer's remorse" and is looking for a way out of the deal. If the seller thinks that is the case, he's probably going to be less willing to help remedy the situation. I know if I were the seller, and a buyer asked me for my opinion, I'd be thinking along those lines anyway. (Not saying that is the case here, just that all the discussion makes it look that way.)

Either way, the buyer ought to decide pretty soon, because the seller might decide that all this waffling isn't worth his time, and at that point he might rescind the refund option. Then the buyer will be screwed.

Aaron, does this "hypothetical situation" have anything to do with the DPSS blue you bought from Extreme Lasers?

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

On the other hand, if the buyer is waffling, that suggests that the problem isn't with the laser itself, but rather that the buyer is suffering from "buyer's remorse" and is looking for a way out of the deal. If the seller thinks that is the case, he's probably going to be less willing to help remedy the situation. I know if I were the seller, and a buyer asked me for my opinion, I'd be thinking along those lines anyway. (Not saying that is the case here, just that all the discussion makes it look that way.)

Aaron, does this "hypothetical situation" have anything to do with the DPSS blue you bought from Extreme Lasers?

Adam[/QUOTE]

ROTFLOL

EXCELLENT POST LOL
    go big or go home

I haven't even bothered to venture into the cheap diode market and even I know of the problems with axis lasers- and the likelyhood of getting burned-

How is it that a hypothetical legacy member of this forum could engage in commerce with these individuals?

I feel like a concerned father, whom even with his best guidance, has exhausted all corrective measures- and is now left with the only option of sending his only son to reform school.

and no, I am not talking about bill benner, although I hear his situation was similar

LOl
    Last edited by clandestiny; 01-05-2008 at 21:11.
    go big or go home

I hear ya Paul...

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that Aaron had E-bay'ed his old blue and bought one from Extreme. (Considering all the problems he had with the last one!) Now it looks like the new one has shit the bed. (D'oh!)

Aaron, take the money and run. Hell, you would have been better off with a Lasever! (damn, did I just say that?)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Aaron, take the money and run. Hell, you would have been better off with a Lasever! (damn, did I just say that?)

Adam
    Hey ...Don't knock them so hard...I have got the best lasers from them so far , bar past issues out of the ones in the past. The last 200mw I got form David was doing that much cold and then after about an hour it was and is making right at 230mw. It has the best recovery time as well. He is spending $ to get things straightened out for all who have their lasers. I can't seem to find the funds for an Arctose unit......slightly less than a new Cessna 172 /w full glass cockpit........
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Smile

Yeah, I know Mike... It was a cheap shot. It's just that I'm on my THIRD replacement laser from them. But maybe the third time is the charm. So far I haven't had any problems with it, but I've only got ~30 hours on it to this point

Seriously though, in Aaron's case, even if he had suffered the same problems that I did, he still would have been better off with a Lasever. It would have been cheaper, more powerful, and considering how little he uses his projector, it's likely that he would have only had 1 failure before David Wu figured out the problem and fixed it, instead of my 2 failures. (Not counting the two that Fred had before that!) Plus, although David is slow to answer e-mails, he *does* honor the warranty... (Not always the case with Extreme Lasers - just ask Dream Beamz!)

As far as your other dilema... New arctos - new airplane.. New arctos - new airplane.... Hmmm. I know what I'd choose! But then again, 1) I don't have a pilot's license, and 2) I can't afford either one in any event!

Adam

Lightbulb

Hey hey, I use my projector 2 or 3 hours per night, almost every night...

It is not the seller's opinion I am asking, it is whether, if you sold laser, and had to resolve a situation that you agreed needed resolving, you are aware there is not buyer's remorse, would you feel it would be and equal trade/swap/replacement to replace a 100mW TTL blue, with a 70mW 10k analog? If you, as a seller, do not feel it is an equal replacement, the only other option is a refund. As a buyer, I am torn, I am tired of waiting for parts, and the DHL horror story posted recently I try not to look at. I feel it would be an equal swap, but I wanted to see what others feel.

And yes... it is. I will probably go for a refund as I am about ready to toss the DIY projector out the back window. My Y galvo is having an issue and needs to be tuned constantly. And I can almost see March 1st... I am also getting grief from the boss. The pit is becoming too noticable... Dammit Adam, I was trying to be objective here...

Problems with the boss-? you need to take control of the situation. Rumage through her things and take anything of value to the pawn shop- then pour it into the pit as well-

when she flips out, turn it around and place the guilt on her-
    tell her you are an artist and shes not being supportive, then say your not the person inside I thought you where when we met-

Let me know how this goes, then I'll give you more direction as needed-
    go big or go home

As CNI don't make a 70mw unit, I would be suss that you are actually going to get a 50mw that is doing 70mw...

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Hey hey, I use my projector 2 or 3 hours per night, almost every night...

It is not the seller's opinion I am asking, it is whether, if you sold laser, and had to resolve a situation that you agreed needed resolving, you are aware there is not buyer's remorse, would you feel it would be and equal trade/swap/replacement to replace a 100mW TTL blue, with a 70mW 10k analog? If you, as a seller, do not feel it is an equal replacement, the only other option is a refund. As a buyer, I am torn, I am tired of waiting for parts, and the DHL horror story posted recently I try not to look at. I feel it would be an equal swap, but I wanted to see what others feel.

And yes... it is. I will probably go for a refund as I am about ready to toss the DIY projector out the back window. My Y galvo is having an issue and needs to be tuned constantly. And I can almost see March 1st... I am also getting grief from the boss. The pit is becoming too noticable... Dammit Adam, I was trying to be objective here...
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/