Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LSX Pro - Laser Show Xpress

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

That's his old website that he just copied onto his new website. I'm not sure if it is still up to date with respect to prices and stock availability...

Does anyone know if it is possible to send laser animation from LSX to visualizer like Lightconverce, Vizualizer, Polar etc. ?

Does anyone know if its possible to A) retrieve the the data as Audio, or B) route the information to a program like TouchDesigner and serve the LSX information to a DAC from there? Does anyone with any experience in TouchDesigner use LSX? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkus View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to send laser animation from LSX to visualizer like Lightconverce, Vizualizer, Polar etc. ?
    I am reasonably sure the answer to this is no, but you can ask the DrLava, the author of LSX.

Quote Originally Posted by drmbt View Post
    Does anyone know if its possible to A) retrieve the the data as Audio, or B) route the information to a program like TouchDesigner and serve the LSX information to a DAC from there? Does anyone with any experience in TouchDesigner use LSX? Thanks
    Regarding (a), retrieve what data as audio?

Regarding (b), can't you just communicate to Touchdesigner with OSC? Personally, I've never used OSC with LSX but the features listed with LSX include:
    "Live touch-screen lasershow control also with OSC and MIDI control surface input"
    "Full OSC control of every aspect of animation - control laser shows with hardware control surfaces and even your pad"

Furthermore, I think the EtherDream DAC is also OSC compatible. J4cbo on this forum (the creator of the Etherdream) would be able to address that question in detail. I'm not sure if that addresses what you want to accomplish, however.

Other LSX questions can be addressed to DrLava or you can try asking on the PhotonLexicon chat room, although don't expect an immediate response in an IRC space. (Lots of people come in and ask a question and leave 2 minutes after receiving no response.)

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

The use case is that I'm actually interested in recording and sampling the audio that would result from playing the X and Y frequencies through the left and right channel of a speaker system. This would result in some very dense noise, but treated properly, could be listenable. I've been working with oscilloscopes and oscilloscope music (google it if you aren't familiar), some samples of the kinds of tests I've been doing can be found at instagram.com/drmbt . I know LSX can receive OSC, can it send it too? I'm not sure with the sample rate of an OSC float is, but it would theoretically need to be up to 40,000 hz if I'm recording that data from what the laser is sending. I'll try hitting up DrLava, thanks!

No, LSX can't send OSC out. It can receive frames over OSC but not the other way round.

To capture frames generated by LSX you can:

* Capture the analog signal generated by the DAC and send it back to your own software via a sound card (easiest way)

* Rewrite a software driver for a DAC so it sends the frames to Touchdesigner instead of a laser DAC (or both)

* Record the outgoing Ilda frames to disk and convert them later, this is not real time

Some people have done what you want but in a different way. The most used approach here is to generate analog audio signals with a synth and send them to both the scanners and audio system. The challenge here is that the audio needs to be carefully generated as to not damage the scanners. This'll be your main limitation whichever route you go: a scanner is limited to 30 000 points per second, and each point can only be some small distance (= galvo rotation angle) apart. 1 kHz waves would already be pushing it. Oscilloscopes don't have this problem as there are no mechanical moving parts. So whatever sound you end up generating will be pretty bassy.

My answer to this so far has been to create the music I want for an oscilloscope, and then filter an aux feed that is going to touch designer with a severe LPF around 3khz. Obviously what I'm sending to a laser is a much loser resolution/complexity than what I can do with an oscilloscope, but something is better than nothing. Part of why I find LSX to be interesting for this is the ability to create animations that are already optimized for the laser, and if I can get them back as audio I'll have cut out the need to filter something.

Can you further elaborate on how I would capture the analog signal from the DAC? Would this involve going ILDA out from my EtherDream and converting the other end of that to 1/4", RCA, XLR or something similar and recording it as audio? This would probably accomplish what I want, although the ability to keep it real time by just routing this information as audio over SoundFlower, Loopback audio or some other audio stream sharing protocol would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by drmbt View Post

Would this involve going ILDA out from my EtherDream and converting the other end of that to 1/4", RCA, XLR or something similar and recording it as audio?
    Something like that, yes. I haven't done anything like that myself so I don't know if there are any caveats. However, using a sound card as a laser DAC used to be popular in the hobbyist scene. So there is some knowledge around in this area. In the past ADAT tapes were commonly used to capture laser shows. PL users "DZ" and "James" are far more knowledgeable about this subject.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

right.. you basically need to resample the ILDA stream with some speciality hardware.

you can use a modified adat
    or a modified echo layla 24/96

or some of the awesome little widgets that DZ makes:

http://www.aldebaran-systems.com/I2AC.htm

i recommend this one: http://www.aldebaran-systems.com/WaveUSB.htm

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Something like that, yes. I haven't done anything like that myself so I don't know if there are any caveats. However, using a sound card as a laser DAC used to be popular in the hobbyist scene. So there is some knowledge around in this area. In the past ADAT tapes were commonly used to capture laser shows. PL users "DZ" and "James" are far more knowledgeable about this subject.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.