Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sourcing Pr:YLF crystals

North Eastern MAssachusetts United States

Default Sourcing Pr:YLF crystals

I'm sorry if this question has already been posted (and hopefully answered) but I'm having trouble sourcing any Pr:YLF crystals. I suppose if I wanted to have an entire boule made I could try contacting Grumman or someone like that but I'd hate to have to sell my house to get what would amount to a 5x6mm crystal since that's all I really need. Thanks in advance for any help...

Regards,
    Ash

They are available semi-custom from companies like Eskma and Cryslaser, but be prepared for a bit of sticker shock. Depending on the size and coatings you want I would expect a quote of $1-2k.

I am pretty sure that you do not need to buy the whole boule if you buy from Grumman. However you will pay a premium since this is a one off specialty crystal currently. My estimates would be above 1K and below 3K for the piece you are looking for.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Almost all of it is grown in Novosibirsk, Russia. Some is grown in China. A bit is grown in the US.

Eksma Optics has close ties to a lot of crystal growth facilities. I'd start there...

Oh, and order at least two or three pieces, that lowers costs. You'll find custom crystals can have wide variations in properties and coatings. I know of very few vendors who will toss a single crystal into a coater... Usually they coat two or three and pick one for you. You might as well have the whole lot if they do this.

Getting it out of Russia yourself unless you are a corporation is nearly impossible.

My bet is 1400 to 3500$.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hi!
    We have them on stock and use them of some of our new laser-developments...
    BR,
    Phillip

North Eastern MAssachusetts United States

Thank you all for your answers, you are truly the finest of gentleman! I'll check the Eksma link and Phillip, I've sent you a PM.

Ash

Try Crystaltechno (Russia). I have direct contact along with other sources. pm if interested.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Phritzler View Post
    Hi!
    We have them on stock and use them of some of our new laser-developments...
    BR,
    Phillip
    Have you broken the 200 mW single line Barrier? Care to share? I would NOT share technical details on here, too many eyes! However I'd like to know what power levels your reaching.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Here's a CAD render from a design I made years ago for an experimental cavity for exploring Pr:YLF (482nm, 523nm, 607nm, 640nm) pumped by 445nm (Although the blue and green lines are not worth chasing).

- There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Three replies.

1. I already have a quote being made with Jordan from Grumman. This was done over a week ago.
    2. I have a Facebook friend that I met at the previous SELEM that also knows Jordan.
    3. They have no problems crafting a full boulle for a small request, they just save the rest for later.

I requested two options. Same specs, just different shapes.

Broadband AR@400-800nm with 0.2% praseodymium doping. This coating specifically will prevent any loss of lines you'd like lasing.

Two styles:

5x3x3mm (LxWxH)
    5mm ⌀ and 6mm long

These need to be taken care of like you would an LBO on steroids These are the coatings are serving two purposes. Minuscule light loss, and slowing down the deterioration of the crystal. YLF is like super LBO, hyper-hygroscopic.
    Last edited by SoulFeast; 09-12-2016 at 23:37.
    Only an electron wiggler like you would resonate at 30cm.