Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on smoke machines

Default Need advice on smoke machines

Well hai,

I am wondering what smoke machines do you guys like to use, since that's barely refferenced anywhere - while not as sophisticated as a laser projector , no lasershow is going down without one. Or two.

So, I was thinking among lines of this :
    Ebay 700W smoke machine

Up to 40$ is acceptable...

I am well aware of lifespan of low-cost smokemachines but for first time use it'll be good I think.

Cheaper the better.

Problem is that foremetioned seller, or any seller on ebay with a smoke machine for that matter, does not ship overseas.

How do I get a smoke machine shipped to Croatia ? What stores are there? Brands, makes, models, dos and don'ts ?

I'd appreciate all input!
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
    -Walter Bagehot

you will need to get a fan, otherwise the fog it outputs will just be semi-useless, and get some fog juice with it, i assume it would be a hard to find item in croatia.

Have a look at the Thomann store (Google is your friend - based in Germany) Generally very silly low prices on most gear and I'm sure they ship just about everywhere.

Their 'E' and 'HD fluid is good value, and they'll ship that too.

Hi Eud...

I feel that in the price bracket your looking at there is not really going to that much to choose between machines. You've not exactly set yourself a very high budget at ~$40.

Strangely enough though, before I splashed out on a nice Look Solutions Unique 2 Hazer I had a couple of different 'cheap' smoke machines and they were both surprisingly good. Well, they were good for home use on an occasional basis. There is no way a smoke machine at that price will last long in a commercial environment.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I would just go for one and give it a shot.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thank you, Norty303.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/american_dj_mini_fog_400.htm

This looks decent and cheap enough. What do you guys think?

Also, what fog juices are water based - if those are the ones that do not leave thin film of oil on everything (because it would suck to get that on optics in projector and on my Olympus E400 lens)?

EDIT- Addendum
    To Jem - yeah, I'd also like to have a big budget. Unfortunately , money does not grow on trees so , I do not exactly get to spin the budget wheel like Backyard FX, instead I gotta use what I have.

EDIT2 - Ahh, from shipping calculator :
    You always pay 25.00 EUR shipping fee on regular items up to 31kg. Heavy and oversized items that have to be sent with a freight forwarding service will be charged with the actual shipping costs.
    Damn, shipping alone is more than that fogger.

Any other ideas?
    -Walter Bagehot

the water based ones contain propylene glycol, which is the filmy stickiness you mention, i personally barely notice the effects of a quality hazer in a well ventilated room as far as residue...

however your budget certainly wont allow a df50 now will it?

Quote Originally Posted by DjHeadie View Post
    the water based ones contain propylene glycol, which is the filmy stickiness you mention, i personally barely notice the effects of a quality hazer in a well ventilated room as far as residue...

however your budget certainly wont allow a df50 now will it?
    Then which ones do not leave crap film layer on anything? I'm quite concerned about it.

What is a DT50? Care to link me?
    -Walter Bagehot

Default CHEAPIES

I have two Fogs and paid little for them in the U.S.. I bought one from a secound hand store at $20. and is 1000w fogger works great. Bought the secound on Ebay $35. free shipping to U.S. 750w and both of corse are used items. They both work great for home and night clubes.
    I make my owen fogging jiuce by buying 8 oz bottles of glyiceren at a drug store for as littel as $3. ea . "6 oz to a gallon of distiled water $0.99" makes great fog and I can very the amount of G to W to make the fog results I whant.
    If your projector is not a seal optical train (path) you will all ways have to clean your optics even if you don't use a fogger or hazer, it's just in the air no matter were!
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)

Quote Originally Posted by beamann View Post
    I have two Fogs and paid little for them in the U.S.. I bought one from a secound hand store at $20. and is 1000w fogger works great. Bought the secound on Ebay $35. free shipping to U.S. 750w and both of corse are used items. They both work great for home and night clubes.
    I make my owen fogging jiuce by buying 8 oz bottles of glyiceren at a drug store for as littel as $3. ea . "6 oz to a gallon of distiled water $0.99" makes great fog and I can very the amount of G to W to make the fog results I whant.
    If your projector is not a seal optical train (path) you will all ways have to clean your optics even if you don't use a fogger or hazer, it's just in the air no matter were!
    Well, it's not sealed and I do not have proper knowledge on how to even do something like that, I'm just gonna keep things simple for now and upgrade one step at the time.

So many foggers you got there, any particular one you want to sell ?
    -Walter Bagehot

Default fixer upper

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonium View Post
    Well, it's not sealed and I do not have proper knowledge on how to even do something like that, I'm just gonna keep things simple for now and upgrade one step at the time.

So many foggers you got there, any particular one you want to sell ?

There is a thread on sealing up the optics train to make it air tight, I belive it was buffo that stated it was fairly ez to do using plexiglass or a metal inclosure with a optical window, ask him about this.
    I will shop around looking for a deal on a foggers for you as I do my rounds at the secound hand stores here and any of the online auctions I visit. I'll PM you on anything that might be or interest, O.K.? I do have one that has a plugged copper line some were in the heating element wrap, if your interested in a cheep fixer upper! $20. the pump is way werth more than that and the element as well.
    my optics train is not seald either, will be soon, but a cotton swab and little acitone dose wonders.
    BEAMANN (GODSLIGHT SHOWS)