Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issues connection to QM.net

Laser Warning Issues connection to QM.net

First off... I'm posting here instead of emailing Pangolin first because I feel like I'm doing something wrong and someone here could help make sure I am doing everything right before I ask them for help.

I just bought a QM net box off ebay and can't get it to work properly. I connected to it a few times and was controlling my laser fine but now its not connecting.

I am using Windows 7 and first connected the QM.net directly to my computer with a crossover ethernet cable. Then I set my IP address to 192.168.1.1 and my subnet to 255.255.255.0 (just like it say to do in the manual). After installing the LD 2000 software I connected to the .Net and the software was working fine.

After I exited the Program I had trouble re-connecting but it eventually worked. Later I upgraded to version 5.3 and then I couldn't connect anymore. ( when I look at my nextwork connection it shows I am receiving data from the .Net but I never send any data to it.)

I tried and tried but it never worked again. SO then I got a router and plugged my computer and the .Net box into to see if that would work. However the .Net box won't connect to the router. The activity light flashes a bunch when I plug it in but thats it.

Does anyone have advice?

When you connected the ld2000.net and your laptop to the router, i assume you did this both wired. Did the router and the ld2000.net have the same ip address?

You say you're using a crossover cable? I just use a standard 'patch' cable and have never had a problem, perhaps you could give that a try?
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by cyberb0b View Post
    When you connected the ld2000.net and your laptop to the router, i assume you did this both wired. Did the router and the ld2000.net have the same ip address?
    The router by default it 192.168.0.1 . That didn't work so I tried it at 192.168.1.1 also and it didn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    You say you're using a crossover cable? I just use a standard 'patch' cable and have never had a problem, perhaps you could give that a try?
    I havn't tried that because it said in the manual to use a crossover, I will try a regular cable when I get home though.

Make sure you DO NOT have the same IP address on your QM.NET and PC (only the last set of numbers in the IP address should be different).

Also, as Jem suggested, try a different cable - the QM.NET has an intelligent ethernet port that doesn't require a crossover cable.

You might also try turning on the QM first, then booting your PC.

Before launching any of the LD2000 apps, you might want to try the QM2000NET_Config.exe utility in your LD2000 folder to verify connectivity to your QM2000 card.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilling View Post
    The router by default it 192.168.0.1 . That didn't work so I tried it at 192.168.1.1 also and it didn't work either.
    Try this,

Router ip on 192.168.0.1
    PC ip on 192.168.0.2
    QM ip 192.168.0.3

For example..

Why..? If you have a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0 you must stay within the range of
    192.168.0.1 till 192.168.0.254.

One other thing to try is to set the default gateway on your PC to be that of the .net box (only when directly connected to the PC though)

Windows 7 has this quirky thing with the inbuilt firewall that if there is no gateway set it won't pass traffic, once you have the gateway set it should prompt you for a location (public, work or home - select work)

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    One other thing to try is to set the default gateway on your PC to be that of the .net box (only when directly connected to the PC though)

Windows 7 has this quirky thing with the inbuilt firewall that if there is no gateway set it won't pass traffic, once you have the gateway set it should prompt you for a location (public, work or home - select work)

Troy
    Could you explain how to set the default gateway to be the net box?

As long as the QM box is in the same subnet range (i.e. 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254 with a subnet mask 255.255.255.0) you won't need to set one.

A defalf gateway is only used when you need to send packets outside of your subnet and would define the device that can route out of you network, typically this would be your DSL router.

Windows 7 just seems to needs a default gateway address to be set before the firewall component will pass traffic outbound, and it can be set to any unused address in the same subnet.

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

I have had issues with ethernet cables not wanting to work. I have one cable that works and about 4 others that for some reason will not work. All those cables work fine for anything else.

Do ALL your lights on the QM.net box flash? If not, maybe try a different cable.