Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyond users: dual-monitor setup...

Question Beyond users: dual-monitor setup...

Hey guys;

I've been working on a new control station for my projectors, and I've finally gotten the hardware working the way I want it to. Now to the software...

In LivePro, I use the dual-monitor layout and send the cue grid to the touch screen, and all the other controls (including the preview window) are sent to the second monitor. I'd like to do the same thing with Beyond, but I can't figure out how.

I know I could do this using the Beyond universe, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel here. All I want to do is have the cue grid on the touch screen and move the quick effects controls (and all the stuff on the right side, like speed, rotation, position, pango-script, physics, etc) to the second monitor.

Does anyone know of a quick way to do this? So far, all I've been able to do is to un-dock the preview window and drag it over to the other monitor. But I can't seem to do that with any of the other controls.

Adam

the closest that I'm aware of is that you can undock the second workspace and easily move it to the touchscreen, while having the redundant primary workspace and all the live controls on the second monitor.

Second workspace? Not sure I follow... Does this make a copy of just the cue grid?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hey guys;

I've been working on a new control station for my projectors, and I've finally gotten the hardware working the way I want it to. Now to the software...

In LivePro, I use the dual-monitor layout and send the cue grid to the touch screen, and all the other controls (including the preview window) are sent to the second monitor. I'd like to do the same thing with Beyond, but I can't figure out how.

I know I could do this using the Beyond universe, but I'd rather not re-invent the wheel here. All I want to do is have the cue grid on the touch screen and move the quick effects controls (and all the stuff on the right side, like speed, rotation, position, pango-script, physics, etc) to the second monitor.

Does anyone know of a quick way to do this? So far, all I've been able to do is to un-dock the preview window and drag it over to the other monitor. But I can't seem to do that with any of the other controls.

Adam
    Use the undock key to move the grid, see photo enclosed, you have two cue grids.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beyond grid move.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	496.5 KB 
ID:	43073

OK, so if I do that, then I'll have two workspaces open, and one of them can be moved to the touch-screen, right? But the other workspace will still be visible on the other monitor.

I guess that will work, but having that second workspace open will take up a lot of space on that second monitor. I was hoping to be able to spread things out a bit by not having a workspace visible on the second monitor. But when I get home tonight I'll give it a try and see how it looks.

Adam

PS: Thanks for the rapid replies, guys!

Adam,

This is the same thing we did last Saturday. You did it but decided you didn't like it. It still left the original work space open and used up most of the screen. It was not like your live pro.

I don't remember moving the workspace last saturday - I only remember moving the entire screen. Maybe the Cinnabon snacks went to my head though...

Also, I did manage to solve the monitor numbering issue. I downloaded the special control software that goes with the video card, and it allowed me to swap the monitor number associations at will. Just like that, it worked the way I needed it to.

Long term, I don't mind building the interface using the Beyond Universe, but I'd like a quick and dirty solution for right now... I might be SOL though.

Adam

Yea.. you undocked the second work space and moved it. You just preferred it to have the "other" monitor only have the live controls over the entire monitor. I think Beyond might need an update to do that. I would welcome it. I had never seen live pro and how much better that layout could be.

When i was playing with dual monitors in the early days of Beyond I undocked the second cue grid to the touch screen, and set up the FX also, but it was a load of faffing and couldn't be saved as a layout.

To get around the redundant cue grid, I docked some of the right side tabs to secondary tabs, and then undocked and dragged the preview/zone selection window to the size of the redundant cue grid. So you have a similar layout to LivePro then, previews dead centre, live controls to the side, a few tabs at the bottom, and the cue grid on the touch screen.

I did email Alexey and Bill a long time ago about the ability to remember layouts and to have windows 'snap' to positions, and in relation to each other but I don't think its a high priority.

I stopped using a touchscreen with Beyond when i got my APC40. Its a far better way to launch cues I find.

Pangolin really need to supply an APC40 version of the default workspace with all the cues rearranged for the right size grid. Its a pain splitting them to tabs and dragging the cues around so you don't 'lose' them.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

The Enhanced Reality Preview is meant to be sent to a 2nd monitor.

How you get it across there, I wouldn't know as I've never had more than one.

I think the ultimate set up might be a 3 monitor setup as per many gaming setups, I'm thinking Universe centre, Grid Right and Enhanced Reality Preview Left (most people are Right Eye Dominant so it make sense to have the most important windows centre and right), whether this can be done, again I don't know, but I'm sure I heard somewhere that Beyond supports multi-monitor systems as opposed to dual.