Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estop Wiring

Default Estop Wiring

Question...

I want to make a stagebox that all my estop cables can tie into. Im going to put everything in a small pelican case with a panel just like im doing my fb3 stage box.

Ill put 7 RJ45 Ethercon connectors on the panel and wire them in Series/Parallel to another ethercon connector that will run a single cat5 to an estop button with another ethercon port on it.

Im going to buy a few of these to convert the DB9 connectors on the lasers to RJ45( http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/31d1-1740rd.php )

Will this wiring work? How long can i make the cat5 before I run into issues?

Thanks Attachment 44308

- - - Updated - - -

ill make little rj45 shorting loop/jumpers to occupy the ports if less lasers are used.
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

Depends on the internal wiring on your laser units...

If I'm right, and I'm not 100% sure here, but some units just send the interlock loop from the ilda cable to the db9. If that's the case, then linking the loops between ilda sources could probably cause you some issues. Also, you're providing a direct electrical connection between all your lasers. Should one fail spectacularly, there's a small chance that an unexpected electrical voltage could be fed down this link, possibly damaging all the other lasers in the link... Admittedly, it's a very small risk, but I worry about these things
    That's why my stagebox will have a relay internally to break the loop at source from the fb3.
    This also means you don't need to run 2 cables to each laser... just the ilda cable.
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    Depends on the internal wiring on your laser units...

If I'm right, and I'm not 100% sure here, but some units just send the interlock loop from the ilda cable to the db9. If that's the case, then linking the loops between ilda sources could probably cause you some issues. Also, you're providing a direct electrical connection between all your lasers. Should one fail spectacularly, there's a small chance that an unexpected electrical voltage could be fed down this link, possibly damaging all the other lasers in the link... Admittedly, it's a very small risk, but I worry about these things
    That's why my stagebox will have a relay internally to break the loop at source from the fb3.
    This also means you don't need to run 2 cables to each laser... just the ilda cable.
    Yea that was one concern of mine...

But im sure there are some people that daisy chain their estops?

Ill probably go with this route since i have a 1U space open under my powerconditioner ill put on stage.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...d7MaAjC_8P8HAQ

And then just use a screw terminal to make the connectinon +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- with the respective +/- jumper loops on the other side of the screw terminal. then estop wires going to one + and one - to complete the circuit.

http://www.curtisind.com/products/0000000009.jpg
    "This is not "work". It's a disease, addiction and passion. Only slightly cheaper than cocaine, but similar effects."
    -dnar

All my estops are distinct loops per projector. So although I daisy chain projectors on the ILDA cable, each interlock loop is separate and the input is isolated from the thru port
    Last edited by norty303; 08-11-2014 at 04:25.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I still don't understand why people use secondary estop cables when they are already running a cable that has the facility for it built in.
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I still don't understand why people use secondary estop cables when they are already running a cable that has the facility for it built in.
    because i would have to modify a safety feature on my laser which probably goes against the FDA standard since im not the manufacturer.

From what i have researched.
    The built in ILDA loop is a separate safety interlock, designed to protect the laser if its plugged into a device other than a DAC (which completes that loop to tell the laser its not plugged into a printer or something)

My lasers use a DB9 "remote port" with pins 4&5 used to complete the circuit.

Also. Ill be running USB over Cat5e/Cat6 so my ILDA cables will not be local to me.
    -dnar

because i would have to modify a safety feature on my laser which probably goes against the FDA standard since im not the manufacturer.
    I'm not sure you need to modify the projector at all.

All you need to do is feed ilda 4/17 to the DB9 before the projector, either with modified cables or smal jumpers, and you can use a single cable, and the laser still won't run if you plug a printer into it.

Also. Ill be running USB over Cat5e/Cat6 so my ILDA cables will not be local to me.
    Using your DB9 stage box, neither will your DB9 estop cables be local, but you're still going to be able to trigger them nonetheless, aren't you...

All I'm saying is you are engineering 2 separate solutions for control and safety that could be integrated into 1 box, and 1 set of common cables (perhaps with some semi-fancy breakout cables on the ends)

Also, you might want to have a look at how the estop is implemented on your projectors. Some put a reasonable 5V signal down it, able to be driven over quite long distances, so you really do not want to be shorting those circuits together. This is why i have mine actuated by relays.

The parts for my one arrive tomorrow so i'll be soldering up a prototype 8 way relay board which i can post pics of if you like. It take 5v off the USB extender PSU, and a loop connected to the stop button, then 8 ways of switching. I think that's the sort of thing you'll want in your DB9 box, however you want to do it in the end. You won't need to worry about dummy plugs or anything then, because it doesn't matter if they stay open on the unused ones
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I'm not sure you need to modify the projector at all.

All you need to do is feed ilda 4/17 to the DB9 before the projector, either with modified cables or smal jumpers, and you can use a single cable, and the laser still won't run if you plug a printer into it.

Using your DB9 stage box, neither will your DB9 estop cables be local, but you're still going to be able to trigger them nonetheless, aren't you...

All I'm saying is you are engineering 2 separate solutions for control and safety that could be integrated into 1 box, and 1 set of common cables (perhaps with some semi-fancy breakout cables on the ends)

Also, you might want to have a look at how the estop is implemented on your projectors. Some put a reasonable 5V signal down it, able to be driven over quite long distances, so you really do not want to be shorting those circuits together. This is why i have mine actuated by relays.

The parts for my one arrive tomorrow so i'll be soldering up a prototype 8 way relay board which i can post pics of if you like. It take 5v off the USB extender PSU, and a loop connected to the stop button, then 8 ways of switching. I think that's the sort of thing you'll want in your DB9 box, however you want to do it in the end. You won't need to worry about dummy plugs or anything then, because it doesn't matter if they stay open on the unused ones
    LOL @ printer

I agree with you. That would be a much easier solution.

Laserworld has these http://www.laserworld.com/shop/swiss...erlock-adapter.

I could make them myself for 1/16th the price and just jump pins 4/17 over to 4/5 on the db9 on the back of the laser, then jump it out again on the other end.

I suppose i could do this internally vs making another jumper wire for the fb3 end, but all my DB25 connectors i ordered are crimp down ribbon cable style.

I will still need to run another cat5 to the stage box for the interlock portion.

I would really like to see this relay and how you plan to wire it up.
    So you are spitting off the USB extender power supply to this relay and running contact wires to your estop button.

Do you think long travel distances would effect the performance / reliability of the USB extender?
    -dnar

would something like this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271556054011?lpid=82
    -dnar

had a thought.

If pins 4 and 17 are used to detect if a DAC is present, and pull them out of the loop, how will the laser operate since i've broken that loop now?
    -dnar