Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The right scanner to buy

Default The right scanner to buy

Well, I've started on my first laser-projector and I want to make sure I get the right scanners, as they cost a lot. I have about a 400$ budget for scanners (hopefully 30Kpps or higher) and I would like to get the most out of my money.

As I understand there are several brands of scanners. There is EyeMagic, Dragon Tiger, Cambridge Technology and Sonima.

I read some threads that said pretty much all cheap Chinese scanners are knock offs of the CT-6800HP scanners. My questions is, what are the best knock offs? I'm just looking for some entry-level scanners that will be reliable. I've heard many people say that Dragon Tiger (DT-40k) scanners are junk, and others say they are reliable. Same with Sonima (ScanPros).

Also, were can I purchase the scanners, I have looked at various sellers Ebay, LightSpace and SpaceLas. Where should I buy from? I am looking at LightSpace, as they are only 250$+50$ shipping for some 40Kpps @ 15° scanners (PT-40k)

Summary:
    What are the best entry level scanners to get for around 400$?
    Where should I buy from?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lightbulb

I would talk with Dave from lasershowparts or Rob, aka stanwax, who are both good people and have entry level scanners. Both of these are overseas as I do not think CTLasers carries DTs or equivalent scanners anymore. I am not aware of any North American suppliers of entry level scanners.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Where have you heard the DT-40k are junk? I ask because I have only heard good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I would talk with Dave from lasershowparts or Rob, aka stanwax, who are both good people and have entry level scanners. Both of these are overseas as I do not think CTLasers carries DTs or equivalent scanners anymore. I am not aware of any North American suppliers of entry level scanners.
    Alright, i'll get in contact with them, Thanks!
    Edit: I looked at their website, is it really worth the extra money for the quality? 300$ extra for the DT-40pros seems like a lot, when I could get two PT-40K scanners for the same price as one DT-40pro

Quote Originally Posted by laser_freak View Post
    Where have you heard the DT-40k are junk? I ask because I have only heard good things about them.

I read a few threads that said all Chinese scanners were junk, both here on PL and over on LPF.
    Last edited by ARGLaser; 06-25-2011 at 12:54.

Lightbulb

My first set of scanners were a set of scanpro 30s that didn't last nearly as long as the set of DT40 pros I have had in my DIY series projector and that is after dave swapped one of the scanpros out for warranty. Granted I had a DT amp go out that also had to be repaired, but they are still going after a lot of punishment. Others here should also have input so I would get as much advice as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGLaser View Post
    Alright, i'll get in contact with them, Thanks!Edit: I looked at their website, is it really worth the extra money for the quality? 300$ extra for the DT-40pros seems like a lot, when I could get two PT-40K scanners for the same price as one DT-40proI read a few threads that said all Chinese scanners were junk, both here on PL and over on LPF.
    You might not pay more now, but when they break (even under warranty) you will pay again and again and again. This is my current experience with PT scanners.

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    You might not pay more now, but when they break (even under warranty) you will pay again and again and again. This is my current experience with PT scanners.
    Have you had any experience with the DT scanners? How do they compare to the PT scanners? Also, how did the PT scanners break? Through heavy use? or did they just break randomly on their own?
    Last edited by ARGLaser; 06-25-2011 at 16:09.

Have you had any experience with the DT scanners? How do they compare to the PT scanners? Also, how did the PT scanners break? Through heavy use? or did they just break randomly on their own?
    I have a set of DT's that I've done limited testing with. They appear better build and performance quality to the PTs and this is echoed by others who have used the DTs and PTs. Dave at Lasershowparts uses DTs and I've seen them in use in their projectors. I believe you'd be better off spending more to get peace of mind. If you want real high performance and rugged scanners, go Cambridge Technology. I have a pair of 6800HPs and they are rock solid performers. The PTs broke within 5 mins of standard use during install trial. Returned under warranty with return and delivery shipping at my expense, only to receive a physically damaged replacement set! The working DT-40s are now less expensive than the broken PTs have cost me!

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    I have a set of DT's that I've done limited testing with. They appear better build and performance quality to the PTs and this is echoed by others who have used the DTs and PTs. Dave at Lasershowparts uses DTs and I've seen them in use in their projectors. I believe you'd be better off spending more to get peace of mind. If you want real high performance and rugged scanners, go Cambridge Technology. I have a pair of 6800HPs and they are rock solid performers. The PTs broke within 5 mins of standard use during install trial. Returned under warranty with return and delivery shipping at my expense, only to receive a physically damaged replacement set! The working DT-40s are now less expensive than the broken PTs have cost me!
    How often does this happen with the PT scanners? Were you just very unlucky? or does this happen a lot? I keep on reading threads that say PT scanners are junk compared to DT scanners, and DT scanners are junk compared to CT/Eyemagic scanners. It really seems like luck of the draw with DT/PT scanners.

Ultimately it seems there will always be something better. Would I be safe buying PT scanners as a first project? I am really not looking for perfection for a first project, just some scanners that are of decent quality and will last me until I feel like I need to upgrade to something more.

Would I be safe buying PT scanners as a first project?
    Not in my experience. Go DTs.