Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Future Pricing of 445's

445's are showing up with laser projector manufactures but not sure if they are Casio.

http://x-laser.com/displaylaser.fwx?...aser=v06X22303

I can't speculate that they are from the Casio projectors but I believe x-laser put these into market just after.

250mW 455nm Infinity Sapphire Blue Laser.

Off topic if they did use the diodes from the Casio are companies able to called them something different like Sapphire Blue Laser?

I am in no trying to turn this into a bitch thread of arguments but I am curious. If I had a laser projector company I would be doing the same thing given the price drop.

Off topic if they did use the diodes from the Casio are companies able to called them something different like Sapphire Blue Laser
    Of course they can, otherwise most of our heads would be 'Nichia Something'

Car companies use other peoples engines all the time without having to use the branding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattatya View Post
    445's are showing up with laser projector manufactures but not sure if they are Casio.

http://x-laser.com/displaylaser.fwx?...aser=v06X22303

I can't speculate that they are from the Casio projectors but I believe x-laser put these into market just after.

250mW 455nm Infinity Sapphire Blue Laser.

Off topic if they did use the diodes from the Casio are companies able to called them something different like Sapphire Blue Laser?
    If they buy the diodes wholesale (fx. from the same supplier Casio gets them), they can call the lasers anything they want, as long as they're not infringing on anybody else's trademarks.

Honestly, I doubt these companies would buy entire Casio projectors and pull diodes from them, instead, tracing down the original supplier of the components and buying the diodes from there is a lot easier in large quantities.

I am a bit surprised by the power rating: 250mW is quite on the low end considering the research we've done on what power ratings these diodes can handle CW. However, 445nm Nichias are a lot more expensive.

250mW is quite on the low end considering the research we've done on what power ratings these diodes can handle CW. However, 445nm Nichias are a lot more expensive.
    I thought the same thing but thought they are doing so in order to make these available without a variance.

Also, one small but significant detail I think we've missed

X-laser are advertising 455nm not 445nm, so unlikely these are the Casio diodes.

I'm quite surprised really that the diode manufacturer hasn't started offering these to laser companies and individuals direct anyway.

Surely they must realise the enormity of the market for these at a fair price which considering Casio are incorporating them in another product with the associated cost, this must mean extra profits for the manufacturer going direct. After all Casio will be making a profit, so by selling them direct at "projector breakage cost", the manufacturer will make more profit themselves whilst maintaining overall sales.

Oh Shit norty303

Good eye lol. I take everything back. Dan really should be using the 445's though if he can get them from the source. Or even the Casio's for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

X-laser are advertising 455nm not 445nm, so unlikely these are the Casio diodes.
    Is there even a source that does 455nm lasers? OPSL perhaps, but unlikely. If it's a DPSS, then it's 457, or it's a diode, in which case it's 445nm. Typos like this are quite common on Chinese web sites trying to translate into Engrish.

I'm quite surprised really that the diode manufacturer hasn't started offering these to laser companies and individuals direct anyway.
    Large companies offering these to individuals is not going to happen any time soon, simply because the amount of components they'll sell to said individuals is going to be way under their sales threshold. Maintaining records for every single client who orders ONE diode is going to be such a pain in the butt that most manufacturers won't bother.

Getting these things wholesale or to a module manufacturer in larger quantities is more of a likely option. One can always buy that single diode from a wholesale or mail order retailer if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post

na I think they make those numbers up... they were selling their 405 stuff as 415 IIRC

Typos like this are quite common on Chinese web sites trying to translate into Engrish.
    Hmm, but isn't X-laser very much an American run company? He certainly seems to have a very good grasp of English when he posts here.

Is there even a source that does 455nm lasers? OPSL perhaps, but unlikely. If it's a DPSS, then it's 457, or it's a diode, in which case it's 445nm.
    Isn't that splitting hairs a little, given the variation found on diodes due to temp, etc? E.g. the 445's spectrographed nearer 440, the 642's sold at 640, etc I'm not sure many diode sources are bang on the money. Does that mean every 455nm source that comes up through Googling is actually mislabelled?

I guess the easiest way to clarify this is to ask X-laser directly....