Thread: list of available visible-wavelength diodes?

Default list of available visible-wavelength diodes?

Except for the diodes DTR sells in his shop ( https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes ) are there any powerful red, green or blue diodes around? I have the feeling he is selling diodes mainly for handheld/pointer builds so maybe there are some , say, c-mount diodes more powerful over what is available in his shop.
    In DTRs shop the most powerful ones are
    3W diode for 445nm
    1W diode for 520nm
    700mW diode 638nm.

I do not know of any list of diodes, and what DTR carry in stock of LD`s is what is used.
    C-mounted diodes are used in pumped lasers, but i don`t know of any pure diode modules using them. From what i have read , they produce a rather nasty beam, even if corrected.

For higher powers, two or more diodes are combined by PBS or knife edging.

But there are development, and new LD`s are coming out more or less all the time.

The 1W 520nm diode is a god example.

Keep on reading PL, and you will gain the knowlage and information you need to do some amazing stuff.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

I just assumed he focuses more on diodes used in laser pointers so might not sell diodes that are too big or generate too much heat to fit in a laser pointer.
    Alright then.
    DPSS I guess might still be more cost effective for 10W green beam than knife edged 10x 1W $400 diodes.

Blue,
    I have been following some of your posts and the responses. To answer your question, DTR is an excellent source and there you will find a wide selection of the best visible wavelength diodes for high power projection lasers. And yes, his diodes can be used in pointers as well.

DPSS I guess might still be more cost effective for 10W green beam than knife edged 10x 1W $400 diodes.
    DPSS vs diodes is a decision that involves a balance of beam quality, power, cost and labor. 10W of green is a significant project or investment no matter which way you go.

How about we back up a little and you start with a single to a few diode module of your choice in wavelength and make it work. Let's do this in reality and I as well as others will help and advise you along the way. I have built some pretty extreme systems including some of which I haven't covered in videos and the pleasure I have derived when my low powered, early systems ACTUALLY WORKED and I found I could manipulate the beams was as great as any since. You will gain a lot of knowledge and as importantly, perspective. What you will do with the lasers may be projection or you may come to enjoy machining or just building powerful beam engines. You might find it tedious and then know that purchasing a complete projector (budget to high performance) is the way to go and only the software show creation is worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    How about we back up a little and you start with a single to a few diode module of your choice in wavelength and make it work. Let's do this in reality and I as well as others will help and advise you along the way. I have built some pretty extreme systems including some of which I haven't covered in videos and the pleasure I have derived when my low powered, early systems ACTUALLY WORKED and I found I could manipulate the beams was as great as any since. You will gain a lot of knowledge and as importantly, perspective. What you will do with the lasers may be projection or you may come to enjoy machining or just building powerful beam engines. You might find it tedious and then know that purchasing a complete projector (budget to high performance) is the way to go and only the software show creation is worth your time.
    I second Planters in his suggestion. Start small, and go from there. A lot of the parts you gather and purchase, can be reused in later projects as well. If power is the keything for you, then a couple of blue diodes either edged and corrected, or combined with a PBS is a way to go. The 9MM NDB7A75 or NDB7K75 diodes are beasts and capable to push 5W each.
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't remember if I've said this, but I own an actual 1W laser projector. I make shows for myself and for clubs. Clubs seem satisfied with cheap chinese 1-2W projectors, mainly DMX lights and some video projectors.

Beam shows and laser graphics were cool at first but I've increasingly lost interest in it. I make some laser content for clubs but I've switched to video projectors at home/garage.

So I absolutely don't want to build a high power projector from scratch.
    And not a pointer either.
    Just a module and see how bright of a beam I can get. I'll probably try blues first as green diodes are pretty expensive right now, even though they appear brighter.