Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Red from Blue

Default Making Red from Blue

If i'm informed correct Coherent is using a blue OPSL laser to pump some kind of die to get 639nm of red.

Does someone have information on how they do it, and is this also possible with 445nm as pump source?

McCarrot, I have a few pdfs that describe exactly how this was done. Message me your email and I will get it out to yuo. It details the fiber used and also the seperation of space with the various optics. They where also able to get green by doing this. If my memory serves correct they can get 75-100 mw 532Nm 250 MW of red.

Ivan

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Does someone have information on how they do it, and is this also possible with 445nm as pump source?

[/QUOTE]

Its not dye, its a semiconductor crystal in the blue to red conversion OPSL.

You need MOCVD to grow it.

I assure you that a 445 nm beam from a Nichia does not have the final focal point size to pump dye even to threshold. I've already rammed the beam into a pump assembly to find out.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Steve
    Or Ebay to buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Its not dye, its a semiconductor crystal in the blue to red conversion OPSL.

I assure you that a 445 nm beam from a Nichia does not have the final focal point size to pump dye even to threshold. I've already rammed the beam into a pump assembly to find out.

Steve
    Fiber based Pr+3 Zblan for the blue to red. The green is alf3 fiber. Emails sent to Dan and Maurice. Enjoy!

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by ArcDevilz View Post
    Fiber based Pr+3 Zblan for the blue to red. The green is alf3 fiber. Emails sent to Dan and Maurice. Enjoy!

Ivan
    Why is there all this secrecy about Coherent OPSL? Are they so paranoid about their patents and IP that they won't even allow amateur builders to replicate their results?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    Why is there all this secrecy about Coherent OPSL? Are they so paranoid about their patents and IP that they won't even allow amateur builders to replicate their results?
    Yes, because patents are useless under certain circumstances. Trade Secrets are the real deal here. Coherent's main costs on OPSL are the R&D and the semi fab facility for the semiconductor. They have to recover those costs. If the methods and details on how to do the semiconductor leak, their competitor only has the cost of the fab facility to recover and can come to profitability sooner and can undercut Coherent.

Because it is nearly impossible to enforce patents in Asian nations, you will not see details.

Coherent has published quite a bit, and I suspect the OPSL grew from learning to how to make SESAMs. Much has been published on SESAM.

This is the classic problem with display lasers, we always end up using lasers that have been developed for other markets. If laser entertainment was the only market for OPSL, no one would have ever bothered with its development.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-13-2010 at 06:16.

Default How about a more traditional approach?

It looks like the 445nm diodes could pump Pr:YLF to make 640nm red. How far could this be scaled up? I know getting the heat out of YLF is not as easy as YAG. What would be a good architecture? thin disk? end pumped? Could this be cost effective for watts of red even given an expensive custom crystal with custom coatings?

Check out page 4
    http://www.fzd.de/db/Cms?pOid=29566

Ed
    Last edited by Phat Photons; 11-29-2010 at 05:02. Reason: extra info

There is a severe amount of data lacking there on the coatings and the cut angle on the laser medium. Doped YLF has nasty polarization issues, as well as has issues about coming apart if not sealed in a inert environment. I worked with it at UA.

So now we need some one to sell us a couple of 2500 to 5000$ custom crystals.

Forget getting the cheap multimode nichias into a small fiber, I've been trying for weeks.

Steve

wow!!! thanks for this!!