Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building 1W 532nm DPSS with DT40

Default Building 1W 532nm DPSS with DT40

Hi guys,

I'm just starting with the drawings for my 1W 532nm DPSS laser with DT40 scanners and FB30 onboard.

I'll make a frame of 20x20x2mm alu profiles (dimensions: 540x400x200 mm). On the bottom of the frame, there are 2 40x40x2 alu profiles screwed on the bottom-profiles carrying a 6mm alu baseplate (and, creating a space of 40mm between the bottom-profiles and the plate). The side-panels and top/bottom-panels will be screwed at the outside of the frame and will contain (lots of) fans. The fans are not yet inserted in the drawing; however, at every fangrill there will be a fan (40mm fans at sidepanels creating a nice airflow below the 6mm baseplate cooling it down, and 80mm fans at front/backpanel to cool down the DPSS driver and scanner-amps/electronics).

The first simple drawings are attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1W_532NM_DPSS_DT40_1.jpg  

1W_532NM_DPSS_DT40_2.jpg  

1W_532NM_DPSS_DT40_3.jpg  

1W_532NM_DPSS_DT40_4.jpg  

1W_532NM_DPSS_DT40_IN1.jpg  

Last edited by JeroenVDV; 08-16-2007 at 14:19.

Very nice renderings, and the layout looks nice. I would venture to guess that all those fans might be a bit too much.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Very nice renderings, and the layout looks nice. I would venture to guess that all those fans might be a bit too much.
    Thank you. It's the first time designing and building a laserprojector for me, so I'm not sure how many cooling I would need. I combined things I've seen from other far more experienced builders, and made these first drawings. Of course ideas, comments and even "You're doing it completely the wrong way"-replies are appreciated.

Maybe I'll replace the 1w by a 1.5 or 2 watt module in the future, then I don't have to think about changing the cooling

If you have the laser mounted to the breadboard, there should be no cooling problem. just don't mount it on fiberglass :P
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

The case is too big for whats it's for. It could be half a size. My 1.2W RGB is smaller then that!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    The case is too big for whats it's for. It could be half a size. My 1.2W RGB is smaller then that!
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

Could you please post some photographs of the design & inside of your projector(case)? I'm curious how you've done that.

I'm drawing a new "slim" design at the moment, I'm currently trying to find out the dimensions of the drivers for the DT-40 scans, and the dimensions of the DT-40 scans including the mounting-block. Anybody?

Cool

Hi JeroenVDV;

Wow! You put a lot of work into designing that projector! I'm impressed.

My projector is still packed up in the car, but I can tell you that the DT-40 scanner block base is about 40 mm per side, though it's somewhat taller than it is wide. Maybe 60 mm tall? The two scanner amps are each about 120 mm long by maybe 90 mm wide and 30 mm high. (These are estimates based on my memory that I then converted to mm...) The power supply for the amps is about the same size as one of the amps.

I agree that your projector case design is probably larger than it needs to be, but that isn't such a bad thing. It will give you room to expand later! (Were you thinking about adding a red or blue laser at some point in the future?)

Also, all the extra fans are probably not needed, but they won't hurt anything if you leave them in the design. However, if you want to save some work you can reduce the number of fans by at least half, if not more.

Either way, keep us posted on your progress!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Hi JeroenVDV;

Wow! You put a lot of work into designing that projector! I'm impressed.
    Thanks, I´m doing all the "extra" work because it's my first projector and it´s quite a lot of money. Too much to screw up.

My projector is still packed up in the car, but I can tell you that the DT-40 scanner block base is about 40 mm per side, though it's somewhat taller than it is wide. Maybe 60 mm tall? The two scanner amps are each about 120 mm long by maybe 90 mm wide and 30 mm high. (These are estimates based on my memory that I then converted to mm...) The power supply for the amps is about the same size as one of the amps.
    Thank you very much, I can use these approx. values for my drawings.

I agree that your projector case design is probably larger than it needs to be, but that isn't such a bad thing. It will give you room to expand later! (Were you thinking about adding a red or blue laser at some point in the future?)
    Well, finding a red and blue laser that can competite with the green 1w module will be an expensive thing I think But, who knows.. Maybe I want to try effect-wheels/optical-toys in the future.

I don't think the projector-housing is that big; I want to be able to easily make adjustments and repair/change things without having to struggle with cables and tight-fitted-components everywhere.

Also, all the extra fans are probably not needed, but they won't hurt anything if you leave them in the design. However, if you want to save some work you can reduce the number of fans by at least half, if not more.
    Well, it's not that much work.. The panels will be CNC-ed by a company and mounting the fans isn't that much work. They're only 40mm fans at the side-panels, not bigger!

Hi JeroenVDV,

Drawings look nice

The DT40 scanner amps and PSU can be mounted vertically, which reduces the footprint and saves a lot of space.

If splitting the enclosure into 2 layers or compartments as you're design indicates, my personal preference is to arrange it with a sealed "clean" side for the laser, galvos and optics, and "dirty" (fan cooled) side for the amps, psu's etc.
    With the amount of airflow created by those fans, you may find your cleaning (and degrading) your optics more frequently if they're in the breeze.

HTH

Did some redesigning. Well, actually, I made a complete new design, now with the actual dimensions of all parts. It's 400x300x120mm now:

ILDA IN & OUT (THROUGH): Neutrik RJ45 and DB-25
    SAFETY SHUTTER: XLR 3-P
    230VAC 50HZ: Neutrik Powercon
    POWER KEY: Keyswitch