Thread: Lab laser, D9 wiring/sex standard?

Default Lab laser, D9 wiring/sex standard?

Hi, just curious as I now have all the parts to build a 445 lab module with Flexmod P3 inbuilt. Is there a standard/pseudo standard for D9 sexing and pin-puts for lab modules?

I would assume male D9 on the laser, female on the cable, yes?

Although I am not planning to use TEC cooling at this stage, I am keen to use a standard if possible for D9 connections of power, interlock and modulation input.

Thanks in advance, Wayne.
    This space for rent.

I would choose not to have a connector unless absolutely necessary.

The head is most esd sensitive, so I would choose to make the driver plug/male, and the head socket/female.

Also, take the max current rating of a db9 into account, personally I would pair pins when exceeding 1A.

The driver is a current-source : short circuiting it would not result in more current then the driver was set for.

but the live leads could touch something that should not and ... puff...

live leads on a male connector are rarely a good idea. so female goes to power supply and male goes to laser head

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    I would choose not to have a connector unless absolutely necessary.

The head is most esd sensitive, so I would choose to make the driver plug/male, and the head socket/female.

Also, take the max current rating of a db9 into account, personally I would pair pins when exceeding 1A.
    Understood, as it turns out I am unable to fit a D9 to the housing I have scored on eBay, so will go with a fly lead.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    Would't it make more sense to have the driver female and the head male?
    This way, live pins can not accidentally be shorted on the driver
    Esd protection can be realised with a lasorb inside of the head.
    This is the philosophy I normally follow, yet I doubt anything would be live when not connected. Therefore I feel in this case non-exposed contacts at the head end (female) would be more beneficial in case of ESD when not connected due to handling. ( I just love when people like us get all anal about things such as this!)

So, with the following signals, how do you suggest I terminate the end of a fly lead, considering each signal pair goes to different areas of the projector layout?

• 12VDC supply
    • Modulation input
    • Interlock

No TEC or temperature monitoring at this time.

Also, just curious as I have seen the occasional laser with D9 connection, is there a pinout standard?

Thanks guys, all good posts.
    This space for rent.