Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quadcopter mirrored beam show

Default Quadcopter mirrored beam show

I just had a dream of making a laser show with a fleet of quadcopter stability drones moving XYZ mirror positions in sync. Then use wireless sync of mirror positions to beam positions for many complex arrangements and movements beyond the galvo's capability...

Of course many safety considerations are necessary such as only firing the beam to the mirror when the quadcopter position is confirmed a safe angle. Much hardware and software checks and programming around safety would be necessary. Then of course put this in a big room and close the door with the camera in it until its proved safe enough for human eyes..

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Go back to sleep and try to dream again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cseTX_rW3uM

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Sweet find Steve!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Go back to sleep and try to dream again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cseTX_rW3uM

Steve

Great idea! Can you imagine a truss-less, wireless stage lighting rig composed of dozens of quadcopters with mirrors? Back in the seventies, The Who looked into using a military transport helicopter with enough onboard generators to power a Spectra Physics 921 or at least a 171 argon laser with cooling system, to be able to fly a giant cone or pyramid over a stadium audience. And they weren't kidding. Today, even a hobbyist could almost pull something like that off if he or she had a quadcopter that could lift a battery powered laser projector with scanners. Maybe someone has already done it? Deploy dozens of these over an audience.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

SEE!!! And frickin' buffo innocently says to me, "You won't spend more than $250 to get into this quadcopter hobby".
    Why oh why, do I have this new vision of ClubSELEM 2015...

I would keep the projectors grounded since they can fire beams to quadcopter's mirror position from static projector positions while creating other nice effects and only move the quadcopters... The beams would likely be more stable and it would be much more safe as well... don't like the idea of flying high-powered laser projectors for many reasons, though it would be something else... I would guess that's way beyond the physical capabilities of a quadcopter, though there are small battery powered projectors that could likely be lifted (just not held completely still ever). Just seems easier to shoot a stable beam to a momentary/moving mirror position than stabilize a projector position for a long duration... baby steps...

maybe one day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp89tTDxXuI
    Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    Great idea! Can you imagine a truss-less, wireless stage lighting rig composed of dozens of quadcopters with mirrors? Back in the seventies, The Who looked into using a military transport helicopter with enough onboard generators to power a Spectra Physics 921 or at least a 171 argon laser with cooling system, to be able to fly a giant cone or pyramid over a stadium audience. And they weren't kidding. Today, even a hobbyist could almost pull something like that off if he or she had a quadcopter that could lift a battery powered laser projector with scanners. Maybe someone has already done it? Deploy dozens of these over an audience.

+1 ClubSelem 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    SEE!!! And frickin' buffo innocently says to me, "You won't spend more than $250 to get into this quadcopter hobby".

I want to build/design the software controls, wish I could make a Beyond add-in module to manipulate zones and beam positions from quadcopter positional data...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Oh my God - I've created a monster!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyJay View Post
    I want to build/design the software controls, wish I could make a Beyond add-in module to manipulate zones and beam positions from quadcopter positional data...
    It's all about PIDs and diff-eq...

Some more interesting videos showcasing some amazing autonomous skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CR5y8qZf0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2itwFJCgFQ