Thread: Times in your life that made you sh*t your pants.

Default Times in your life that made you sh*t your pants.

I was driving my POS 1974 Camaro 75mph down the 5th lane on a 5 lane highway in Atlanta GA. My car had rotted floorboards, and a leaking exhaust pipe. I guess fumes filled the car, and put me into a daze because I didnt see that traffic came to a dead stop about 10 car lengths in front of me. When I realized I was about to die I slammed on the breaks, and cut it hard right. In full moving traffic my car skidded across 4 lanes, missing a construction worker by 5' (no exaggeration), and ended up in the breakdown lane between 2 orange cones. It took me a few seconds to absorb what happened when I realized I was soaked with sweat from head to toe.

I know some people dont believe in higher powers, but I felt like my car was guided perfectly though what should have been a multiple death situation.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    ― Benjamin Franklin; stairwell plaque in the Statue of Liberty

"And so shines a good deed in a weary world." - Willy Wonka

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED On The Internet CLICK

Dude, glad you came through that one intact!!

Kind of makes you want to kick back for a while and contemplate everything, doesn't it?

While I don't consider myself a religious man by any means, I came through a couple of VERY close calls while flying for Uncle Sam (the type of events you reminisce about while drinking shots), and firmly believe that some sort of higher power / divine intervention is the only reason I'm not a grease stain in the desert.

Wakeup calls can be a hell of thing...
    Last edited by Stuka; 05-18-2014 at 09:23.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Thanks brother.

I've had a death wish for as long as I can remember. I've almost died half dozen times, and there has always been some precise guidance involved to pull me out of it. I've saved 5 lives in my time too. I dont think "God" per say has anything to do with it, but I firmly believe there are powers out there that intervene with our lives at times for whatever reasons. Call it guardian angles, relatives, or the spaghetti monster. Its really humbling.

I could not even imagine the horror of near death in the air.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” ― Bernard M. Baruch

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

... I had two 'near misses' in car-accidents too ...

In the first one I was 16 and co-driver, the driver offered me a cigarette (I'm no smoker), dropped it, bent down and I had to alarm him that there's a traffic jam ahead.
    He 'overreacted' at 120 km/h speed, rammed the middle crash barrier ... his door opened and he nearly 'went outside' ... the car was repelled by the barrier, closing his door and pushing him back ... the car crossed two lanes, bumped two beacons ... crossed again back two lanes, hit the barrier again ... slowed down ... crossed again the two lanes ... hit two more beacons ... then we come to a stop and rebreathed some minutes!
    We could drive home with the car, but the police found him 4 hours later and confiscated his driving license for 3 months for 'hit-and-run' and suspicion of driving under alcohol ...

In the second one I was driving a cab (Mercedes 190) with a passenger on board, crossed a traffic light crossing on a bridge with the TL's out and a little Fiat ignoring right of way rammed me with maybe 50 km/h slightly behind the center in the right side ... my car made a clean 180deg-turn and stopped in maybe 30 meters distance exactly in the middle of the bridge ... my passenger and me were OK, the co-driver of the Fiat had some injuries through the belt ...
    A policemen told me, that we were really lucky! - had the Fiat hit me some ten centimeters earlier or later, then we would have missed the bridge and crashed to the left or right side down on the railways!!

Viktor

I had a drive shaft fall off the FRONT into a hole or it made the hole not sure. Lifted the car a good foot in the air and dropped me. Now I know what stopping on an aircraft carrier is like! Only doing 25 mph at the time. jammed the whole back end of the drive system and the car never drove again. This was 1991 and a rear drive car. 1980 le_mons how ever that is spelled. If it could go wrong in that car it did.

I sitting by the tree line at around midnight in the mountains of New Hampshire on Squam lake with my friends. It was the perfect setting. There was a full moon, no clouds, and you could see the mountains reflecting off the lake. Its was very quiet, and all you could hear was an occasional Loon bird. Then I heard this droning sound off in the distance down the lake. It got louder, and louder, and louder. It got so loud you could not hear anything else. On top of that it was echoing through the mountains so the sound surrounded us. I was bewildered because I never heard anything like that in my life. Suddenly I spot a shadow in the sky over the lake, it was low, and it was headed right for us. I'm thinking no way are UFOs real, but I had no other explanation. As this thing got closer the sound turn defining. My heart was beating out of my chest. Suddenly one of my friends yells out "its a huge prop engine plane". The trees around us were 120 foot tall pines, and this huge plane was flying 50 feet off the lake. I actually froze in horror because there was no place to run, and if the plane hit the trees we'd be all dead. At the very last second the plane pulled up, and cleared the top of the trees by what looked to be 20 feet.

We got a good look at the plane, and it was a huge 4 prop engine WW2 plane with its lights blacked out. Apparently there is an Air Force base near where we were. We could only surmise some big wig must have taken one of the old planes for a joy ride on a full moon night. We were at the very end of the lake, so when he decided to strafe the lake we were in perfect position for the fly over. I can honestly say its been the only time I was ever frozen in fear.

I was working a gig in the UK for a major international white goods mfg.
    It was a combination product launch and exhibition in a disused steel mill.
    After a week of build, one of the venues main power boards stops working the day before the dress rehearsals. Over half the main show room ran of this board including dimmers and moving light distro.
    The house electrician, who really didn't seem to want to be there, helpfully tells me he won't be repairing the board in time, but if we can find 300-400 meters of cable, he'll tail-in on the main substation for the building.
    I jump in van and go collect 400m of 125a three phase cable from three different local(ish) rental companies.
    We tail in and show runs fine. After twelve shows and eight days of running fine, we start the de-rig.
    Muggings here gets to pack up the distro and return the extra cables.
    After a brief conversation with Mr house electrician, he toddles off to kill the power in the substation.
    After 30ish mins of hanging about "Power Off. You're good to disconnect!" comes over the radio.
    I pull the 125A see-form from the distro and as I stand up, giant power connector in hand, I see the cable fall out the back of it.
    I member thinking 'oh, that's not good'
    When the cable hit the floor, there was an almighty bang as all 5 cores flash welded themselves together.
    I clearly remember my train of thought at this point as...
    "Oh f&$k. I'm dead.
    Nope?
    Cool I'm still alive!
    Crap! I'm on fire!"

About this point, my no 2 doused me in CO2.
    I lost the legs on my jeans, the hair on my legs and ended up with what looked like really bad sunburn on every exposed inch of skin but man I was happy!

Then I went looking for the idiot local electrician who switched off the wrong supply... He and I had words... :$
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    He and I had words... :$
    Had words?!?!? I would have beaten him down with the cable to an inch of his life.

We have the same type of "professional" electricians in the US too. I know a lot of them. I'm remolding my bathroom because of water damage, and the wiring need to be tacked back up. The electrician goes into this bullcrap story on how half the wires need to be replaced because of fire damage. We had a fire here 40 years ago, and there is still some chard boards in the wall so there was a little soot on the wires. They rewired the house less than 10 years ago so all the wires were fine. Then he says some wires were connected wrong, and we need new boxes, ect, ect. I'm not an electrician, but I know how to wire a house. I had already traced the wires before he got there, and they were all where they were suppose to be. All the boxes, except one, were replaced when they rewired the house. All he had to do was route the wires, and tack them up. I threw him out of my house.

I dont see how these clowns get licensed. Especially when they are responsible for peoples lives.

One really intense experience involved a Dance Party in Sydney in a venue called the Horden Pavilion in the late 90's. I had climbed a ladder in to the roof area and had to step off the ladder onto the roofing rig, its only 40 50 cm gap but shees its a long way down . I am not spectacular with heights, but the opportunity to get some spectacular video footage was too tempting. doing that that one handed with a 4.5 Grand video camera in the other hand was pretty un nerving.

Once in the roof there is pretty good hand hold etc so it was pretty safe but still 15 mins or so to work you way around the roof of the building.

I clearly notified the lighting director that I was going to be up there, but he forgot or left the stage and they decided to run through some pyro sequence..... Got to say when they 1st started that scared the C#$@#$P out of me.

Usually if I want to change the hair style I will buy the cheap hair wigs at the online shop so that it will neither cost me a lot and I can reach the goal of change my hair style easily. And just a week before I bought one short hair wigs online and it makes me look better.
    Last edited by SusieCance; 06-29-2014 at 18:48.