Thread: bandwidths of lasers

Default bandwidths of lasers

I am starting a project that will require a visible laser (could be red, green, or blue) with a bandwidth of around .010 nm FWHM, or at in that ballpark. I have been finding that diode lasers have bandwidths of a few nm. I found some infrared lasers with frequency doublers that had bandwidths down in the range I need, but those were expensive multi watt prototypes designed for projection TVs. All I need is something in the mW range. I'd like to hone my search. Does anyone have suggestions about which types of laser are liable to have the narrow bandwidths required?

Are you looking for a laser for holography? It sounds like you need a single mode laser such as a Coherent Compass or Uniphase uGreen. The compass you can pick up for about $1000 on the holography forum. Sometimes a uGreen shows up on eBay and you can get it for about $300 but they are very low power.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

A single mode laser, something along the lines of a good HeNe, or if you have the funds and want more power the Coherent Compass 315m at 100Mw. You'll have to be VERY lucky to get one of these for $1000, you'll probably pay that for the head only. A complete unit with controller will normally fetch $1500 minimum.

There are some good HeNe's up for sale over at the Holography forum for ~$200 ish, look in the 'for sale' section. I think they're around the 20Mw region.

Jem

Actually, when I said "milliwatt range" I meant around one milliwatt, probably less. Cheaper is better.

Well, the cost comes, not from the power, but the mode quality and line width. You will be paying the same for a 20mW laser as a 1mW laser. You can exp3ect to pay a good bit unless you are very lucky. I would get a HeNe and a ND filter to get the power you want.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrne View Post
    Actually, when I said "milliwatt range" I meant around one milliwatt, probably less. Cheaper is better.
    For those line widths - green hene, red hene, and a single mode blue DPPSS from say crystalaser or b&w technic .1 to .4 mw is typical for a green hene tube and they only lase a few longitudnal modes because of low gain to begin with. most 19 cm or less tem00 red henes will come in under your linewidth spec. Expect the dpss blue to cost more then most used cars.

Steve Roberts

Hi rgrne,

most of us are into more power for laser shows as you probably gathered from browsing this forum.
    May I ask what your project is?

Lightbulb

Where are you located? I have a 1mW hene with a nasty lil PSU that bites if you don't pick it up nicely that you can have for shipping cost. Just don't touch the tube while it is on...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin